Engine Coolent boiling over (red in color) & Brake Fire - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Coolent boiling over (red in color) & Brake Fire

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #1
chris4jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Coolent boiling over (red in color) & Brake Fire

Hey people. Some weird new issues have come around today with my Jeep. I ran an Erran and came out to find my jeep boiling over my engine coolent which was red ish green in color. My car has been running just over 210 maybe around the 220 230 area.

I was told it could be brake fluid mixing with my coolent? causing it to run over? and boil? and would explain the tempature of the engine. It may also explain this.....

On the way back from this erran, i had this weird metal burning smell. When I pulled into my driveway, my front right tire rotor was well above 400 degrees and was billowing steamy smoke. I sprayed it down with water and took the tire off. I found nothing wrong with the rotor and the brake still had about 85% life in it. Could this be the brake not getting fluid?

I did sink my jeep in a creek last week and my tires were fully in the sand... could there be a clog? PLEASE HELP!

Unread 04-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
limeking
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I bet your rotor is warped now. Only thing I can help with.

Jeremy : )
2004 Lime Rubicon, NV3550, JKS arms, and trackbars, UCF tummy tuck, LoPro and engine skid, 3 in tera springs 33 KM2s
1994 Red Wrangler, 2.5 in lift, 31 in no names, 4.0 ax15 30/35
limeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My rear driver side brake did something similar recently. I smelled it while driving and pulled over to see the brake smoking. I had it towed to the dealer who found no issues at all. I haven't had any issues either since then and that was 3 weeks ago. People here said the caliper must have gotten stuck. Some said that a firm application of the brakes in reverse will sometimes unstick them.
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
chris4jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

rotor is not warped. it seems fine. I wil try the brake thing really quick and post back in a few min. in the mean time is coolent supposed to be red i cant quite remember
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
keithert
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, the coolant is a red-orange color.
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like two separate problems. The first is a cooling system problem (and I'm curious how you think brake fluid would mix with coolant). Plenty of threads on fixing cooling issues but maybe start by changing radiator cap and doing a fluid flush if no other obvious issues. The latter (unrelated) issue is a brake caliper that is seizing up on you.
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
chris4jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

alright..... back from a test run..... Brake must still be seizing cause i came back from a quick drive gave it a little water and steem was coming off the rotor again..... coolant no longer boiiling over, just boiling. right now its 83 degrees here in ATL so it could be the heat making it run a little warm.....
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4jeep View Post
I was told it could be brake fluid mixing with my coolant?
Are you asking if you were told that or telling us you were told that? Assuming the latter, you can fire whomever said it; Unless you or someone else poured one directly into the other, it's not possible.

Quote:
Could this be the brake not getting fluid?
No. Without fluid delivery, the calipers won't engage at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithert View Post
People here said the caliper must have gotten stuck. Some said that a firm application of the brakes in reverse will sometimes unstick them.
Caliper stuck? Likely. Unstick by "firm application of the brakes in reverse"? I seem to recall some such thing on 1959 VW drum brakes, but I think it doesn't apply to discs so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Sounds like two separate problems. The first is a cooling system problem (and I'm curious how you think brake fluid would mix with coolant). Plenty of threads on fixing cooling issues but maybe start by changing radiator cap and doing a fluid flush if no other obvious issues. The latter (unrelated) issue is a brake caliper that is seizing up on you.
Yes to all of this

Quote:
alright..... back from a test run..... Brake must still be seizing cause i came back from a quick drive gave it a little water and steem was coming off the rotor again..... coolant no longer boiiling over, just boiling. right now its 83 degrees here in ATL so it could be the heat making it run a little warm.....
Still seizing, replace both 'cuz the other is likely to soon suffer the same ailment. Just check for pinches or clogs in the system/lines first. There could be some kind of incomplete obstruction that allows for fluid to move/push the caliper pistons under pedal pressure, but not flow out to release the piston(s).

83* is not hot and your rig's cooling system should be able to handle it with ease. At 110*+ it might start having trouble keeping things cool, but not at 83* when all is working properly.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, you've got a seized caliper...no question about that. There's also no warping in the rotor because rotors don't warp: you get a deposit layer on them that causes the familiar chattering that most people unintentionally mistake for warping. You need to swap out the calipers for some functional units. You might get one unstuck, but that's usually a temporary fix in my experience. You'll pull the caliper in order to free it up so you might as well get some good ones in there while you've got it off...brakes are not something you half-a**.

The cooling issue is another problem entirely. You should not be experiencing overheating in those temps. Running at 230 is an indication that something is wrong. Start troubleshooting.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When you say boiling over, do you mean it looks like it boiling inside overflow tank? If so, try changing your radiator cap for a new one rated at 18psi.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
There's also no warping in the rotor because rotors don't warp:
No even roasting-hot ones that you dump water on??

Soooo - OP - have you topped off your radiator previously using green antifreeze even though it's got the red-orange stuff?
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I hope he didn't mix 2 coolants of different chemical makeup.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucca-man View Post
Soooo - OP - have you topped off your radiator previously using green antifreeze even though it's got the red-orange stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Necko2529 View Post
I hope he didn't mix 2 coolants of different chemical makeup.
That would be very, very bad.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

BTW, it's an errand.

I'd love to know who told the OP that "it could be brake fluid mixing with my coolent? causing it to run over? and boil? and would explain the tempature of the engine." More entertainingly, I'd like to know how each of those closed, independent systems are mixing?
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucca-man View Post
No even roasting-hot ones that you dump water on??
I doubt it. Water hits hot brakes all the time, unless you live in Aswan, Egypt. I'm sure you can intentionally distort one if you try hard enough, though.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brakes , coolant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.