Engine Coolant always low in reservoir - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Coolant always low in reservoir

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 02-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
WittSmall
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Coolant always low in reservoir

Is that normal? I'll fill it up to the fill line in the reservoir and a couple weeks later, it's at the bottom. I don't think I have a leak anywhere, what do you think?

01 TJ Sport, 31'' BFG A/T, 2'' REBB, Tubular Side Steps, Euro Guard Tail Light Guards, Billet Aluminum Grille Guard, 6.5'' Pioneer 3-Way A-Series, Silverstar Headlights, Rock Knob, Sheer Comfort Camo Seat Covers, Spare Tire 2 Bike Rack, Dual Tops, Carpeted Interior Hard Top Roof

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son..."
- But it sure is fun!
WittSmall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
AlTheKillerr

no matter what i do mines always at the add more line. ive had it like this for years and it seems to be normal. i have no leak either.
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
jzmtl
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have any crack on the plastic bottle/lid? My parents car had a crack and it always go low in a week after filling up, duct tape solved it.
jzmtl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Ludedude
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittSmall
Is that normal? I'll fill it up to the fill line in the reservoir and a couple weeks later, it's at the bottom. I don't think I have a leak anywhere, what do you think?
There are a few things cause that to happen over and over and one thing that can sometimes cause it in a non-recurring fashion.

1) A leak. Could be a small one, coolant hitting hot engine parts evaporates before you get a puddle so you may not see the telltale signs.
ETA: The heater core suggestion below is a good one too. It might be porous and evaporating into the air although you'd definitely smell it in the cabin or worst case have puddle of coolant in the vehicle.

2) Blown head gasket. Usual symptoms may be white smoke out of the exhaust, coolant in the oil (pull the dipstick, smell, look for a "milky white" goo in the oil), bubbling in the coolant overflow tank while the engine is running at normal operating temp. Any or all of these may be present.

3) Failure to properly bleed the cooling system after a flush/fill or new radiator or thermostat install but that usually resolves itself after filling the overflow bottle one or twice.

Last edited by Ludedude; 02-26-2007 at 05:00 PM..
Ludedude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
NOVATJ
1996 TJ Wrangler 

Heater core maybe. Do you smell antifreeze in the cab?

1997 TJ SE - 2.25" Budget Boost, Hydros, 31" Sigma Stampedes
NOVATJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
finsout
2001 TJ Wrangler 

head gasket could be or a cracked head. some years are known for that (trust me i know first hand)
finsout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.