Engine Code Help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Code Help?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #1
Whiskey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Code Help?

Hello, name's JW, new poster here.

I have a 2001 TJ Sport with the 4.0, NV3550 and NP231. California model. Jeep has 64,000 miles. Well built and wheeled hard. Recently, my check engine light came on and my code reader said "P0136 - Generic - O2 Circut (Bank 1, Sensor 2)" Because it is a 2001, it has three cats. Because it is a California model, it has four O2 sensors (two before the precats, two after the precats, none after the main cat). After a bit of research I replaced the front, downstream O2 sensor and cleared the code with the code reader. I never disconnected the battery, it makes my alarm go haywire. I started the Jeep and before I could put it into reverse, the check engine light popped up. Same code, P0136. This is the only code. I am somewhat familiar with a heater circuit malfunction... if y'all could tell me what to replace, I can do it. I'm not to good with diagnostics. Any ideas? Searching the forums didn't turn up much.

Thank you! - JW

Whiskey01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Whiskey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Update: Disconnected the battery for a couple minutes and connected it back. Should reset the computer and clear the code right? Well the code popped again, leading me to believe it's not the O2 sensor... going to be checking for bad grounds and blown fuses and such today. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Unread 08-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of replacement 02 sensor did you use?
Unread 08-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Whiskey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I used a Bosch, and after I bought it I learned that TJs don't particularly like that brand... however! I did some more digging around online, and noticed that my fuse was blown. The mini 15 amp, blue in color (block 16). I replaced the fuse, along with the O2 sensor relay (block 34) and the light went off! It hasn't come on again in the past 25 miles/3 starts. Hoping that it stays that way.

I also read that if you're having the fuse blow repeatedly, to check the wiring harness behind the motor for breaks. It often rubs on a bolt back there, and will tear through wires and causing strange grounding. Luckily, this was not the case for me. Something else to consider for folks reading this in the future.
Unread 08-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i put sone bosch ones in mine and it threw 02 heater codes untili bought the oem sensor
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Whiskey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So after a lengthy road test of highway, back roads and some night wheeling, every 50 miles the code would pop up again. I happened to have a code reader, so I just read the code, erased it, and replaced the blown fuse. Could this be because of the Bosch O2 sensor I installed?

Thanks guys for replying! - JW
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:59 AM   #7
Whiskey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I just drove 575 miles from Oregon to California is this Jeep. 65/70 MPH, all freeway. No check engine light when I started it, nothing the whole way down.... hit some railroad tracks in my hometown and bounced me around a bit, check engine light comes on. I cleared it and replaced a broken fuse, comes back on 20 miles later. Any suggestions? Should I just replace the Bosch with a OEM O2 sensor?
Unread 08-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Should I just replace the Bosch with a OEM O2 sensor?
Yup.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
Rubi4MyMrs
Tks 4 the upgrade MoodyJP

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hitting bumps causing a blown fuse is a good sign there are some exposed wires somewhere.

If it keeps blowing the fuse I would carefully check the wiring harness from that sensor to the main harness, especially where it is close to the exhaust. If you find a spot where even the outside wrap is melted or any sign it has been hot, the wires inside may have some insulation melted & a bare spot allowing the power one to contact a grounded one.
Rubi4MyMrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #10
Whiskey01
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It was on for four days while I drove around town, I didn't bother clearing it... however, I cleared it, replaced the broken fuse, and drove the 575 miles back to Oregon with no check engine light. SO! I've decided OEM O2 sensor, and to check wires, just to be sure.
Unread 08-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #11
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey01 View Post
It was on for four days while I drove around town, I didn't bother clearing it... however, I cleared it, replaced the broken fuse, and drove the 575 miles back to Oregon with no check engine light. SO! I've decided OEM O2 sensor, and to check wires, just to be sure.
Definitely check the wiring. The Bosch will not cause blown fuses.

Definitely replace that Bosch with an OEM or NGK sensor.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.