Engine clicking every morning after startup... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine clicking every morning after startup...

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
bjjfoshizzy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Engine clicking every morning after startup...

I heard this is common with Jeeps. It usually goes away after driving for a couple of minutes. I'm planning on changing my oil soon as was just wondering if there is anything I can add during the process to help reduce this at all? I think I recall someone mentioning replacing a quart of oil with atf? I use mobil one synthetic. Thxs.

bjjfoshizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjfoshizzy View Post
I think I recall someone mentioning replacing a quart of oil with atf? I use mobil one synthetic.
1. No. Don't do that.
2. Try a conventional oil.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
bjjfoshizzy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Switching back, huh? I've been using synthetic for so long... any recommendations on a conventional oil and filter?
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Valvoline 10w-30 conventional is a very good oil. I use that with a wix/napa gold/car quest filter and have good results. If you're stuck on the mobil brand, clean 5000 is a good oil too.
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Sundowner
Scourge of Monkeys

2003 TJ Wrangler 

There's about a thousand threads/opinions on that.

Any of the name brands are good. Unless you're in very specific circumstances where synthetic really will perform better/longer for you, then there's no reason to use it. 10w-30 dino oil will get you there. The filters mentioned above are great choices.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
bjjfoshizzy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info... I'll give it a shot!
Unread 07-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

And for all to know Kragen now carries Wix filters, since they merged with O'Reilys and Schucks and all them. I was happy to see that yesterday as before only Napa carried them here where I live and it's a 40 mile round trip there.
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is your oil level Ok. Clicking for a while after start up can be a symptom of low oil level.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
bjjfoshizzy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it does it even after an oil change. I don't have any leaks either.
Unread 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was a cracked weld on a cat (right near the exhaust header). My neighbour welded a little bead on, and the noise went away. In the mean time I tested it with a pipe clamp.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
couesfanatic
2003 TJ Wrangler 

keep us updated if you figure it out. I have the exact same noise. I'm pretty sure its the exhaust manifold.
couesfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
bjjfoshizzy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I just heard it was common with the engines. Hearing that you guys found some defects that might correct the problem has me thinking now. I'll check it out and post up if I can find anything.
Unread 07-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durango-bob View Post
Is your oil level Ok. Clicking for a while after start up can be a symptom of low oil level.
Clicking after start-up is usually a lifter not pumping up, a push rod or a rocker. In most cases it's a lifter who's not pumping. Once the oil warms and is a tad more fluid, it pumps up and the noise goes away.

I would pull the valve cover and find which one it is. Some time the rockers are just a tad loose.

I would change the oil, oil is not going to cause this problem, it mechanical.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
bjjfoshizzy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Dryseals- you recommend changing back to conventional from synthetic? I know it's not going to solve the problem but it will at least save me some cash on oil changes. Yeah, I'll have to find a bud or take it in somewhere to have them look at it. I'm not too good with the self maintenance. The problem only seems to arise on cold mornings. I've never noticed the clicking during warm weather periods.
Unread 07-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #15
Dryseals
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjfoshizzy View Post
Hey Dryseals- you recommend changing back to conventional from synthetic? I know it's not going to solve the problem but it will at least save me some cash on oil changes. Yeah, I'll have to find a bud or take it in somewhere to have them look at it. I'm not too good with the self maintenance. The problem only seems to arise on cold mornings. I've never noticed the clicking during warm weather periods.
I typed too fast, no I would not recommend going back to the dino oil, I'm a firm believer in synthetics, the protection they provide is far superior to dino oil. I work in an industry/plant who has well over 400 pumps and motors and most are over the 100 HP range. We use synthetics because they do offer better protection.

There's a lot of things that can cause an early morning tick. A valve sticking can cause the same noise. A stethoscope might help you determine where the noise is coming from, sometimes a long handled screw driver will work too.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine noise , click , start-up , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.