Engine Calculated Load - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Engine Calculated Load

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Davids29
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Engine Calculated Load

I bought my TJ 2 1/2 months ago. The mileage has been less than stellar the whole time. I might get between 10-13 mpg, and thats with a GPS tracking the miles and the fuel exploding out of the filler at fill up. ( I already did the complaint for that).

The Jeep is a 2006 Rubicon with an auto. It has a 2" lift and 32" tires.

I have been trying to figure out why the mileage sucks so bad(besides the rolling brick part). When I plug in the scanner and look at the live data, I have to think that the calculated load could be part of it. At idle in the driveway in park, it reads 23-26%. Really 1/4 load just idling? thats with the AC off. If I turn the AC on, it jumps to 33-37%. I was wondering what sensors play a part in the calculated load? Maybe one is clogged or bad?

If you have a scanner with live data, I was wondering if I could get you to post up what your calculated load is idling and with and without the AC?

Thanks
David

Davids29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
bdmead01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bump...I'm interested to see what the answer to this one is as well. 25% seems too high while only idling.
bdmead01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
Rammer500
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just checked my 99. 4.7% idle, no AC. 5.5% idle with AC. I'd start with checking the MAP sensor.
99 TJ 4.0 5 Speed Sport, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, 1.25 Body Lift, 1" MML, SYE and CV shaft,JKS Quicker Disconnects, 33x10.50 BFG Mud Terrains,4.56 gears, Super35 w/ Ected Locker, Warn 8274 and some other stuff.
2014 Rubicon Stock
Rammer500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I consistently got 13-14mpg when I had 33s on stock axles w/ 3.73 gears.

I get 10mpg with 40s and 5.86s.

How many miles does your Jeep have on it?

edit:

And as for comparing your ~25% load to Rammer500's ~5% loads at idle in the driveway... remember you're comparing auto to manual. I wouldn't be surprised if the auto is to blame because of the torque converter slipping and the engine needing to apply more throttle to keep the same RPMs.

Also, your 32s with stock 4.10 gears and the 42RLE aren't completely ideal... at 65mph you are only turning around 1900rpms? You're lugging the engine, it really should be 2000-2100rpms to be more close to ideal for a Jeep with oversized tires IMO.

My $0.02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Davids29
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My Jeep has 74K on it. Its a Rubicon, so it has 4:10 gears...
Davids29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Subscribed
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2010, 11:21 PM   #7
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have 33s and consistently get 15mpg city and 17mpg hwy, I also have the auto, and if the motor lugs I will turn the OD off, if you live in a hilly area I would turn the OD off all the time, unless you regear. At idle in park the transmission should be in neutral so there should be no load coming from the transmission. Considering you mileage the first thing I would look at after fault codes is to replace the clutch on you your clutch fan on the front of the motor. If the clutch has seized that would explain the high loads at idle.

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

TJ Tech Boot Camp
TJ Specs

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"
RogueSpear2023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , load , calculated load , mpg , idle , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.