The "End-all, Be-all TJ Alignment thread" (LONG read) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The "End-all, Be-all TJ Alignment thread" (LONG read)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #91
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm currently running a stock front trackbar, which has been rubbing.

I own a JKS adjustable front trackbar, but it's not installed yet. I wonder if the JKS adjustable front trackbar would (once installed) have more clearance to the diff cover than the stock trackbar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
we can adjust both, tho using stock ca's, cam bolts are used to adjust the caster with the lower arm.. to put your caster to 6 you need to shorten the jks arm... stock lower arms are 15 3/4", the front uppers are 15". most aftermarket fixed lower arms are 16", aftermarket adjustable uppers adjust down to 15.5" and fixed aftermarket upper arms are also 15.5" .
it's a resonable assumption that shortening the jks lowers will help with the track bar rub, depending on the track bar.

the reason for adjusting the uppers instead of the lowers is it reduces the amount of wheel base change...

what adjustable track bar are you running?... post a pic in the track bar thread of the rub if you can.

CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:04 PM   #92
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
Where can I pick up said gold star?

here ya go! dude
gad943.gif

Unread 06-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #93
gonzo99
1998 TJ Wrangler 

THE End-all, Be-all TJ alignment thread to be sure. I have learned more from this single source than any other. Thanks to you Flatlander for all the info., and to all who ask the right questions. I am subscribed. So far, I solved my Death Wobble with a $20 balance. Thanx again. BART
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #94
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck View Post
here ya go! dude
Score!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo99 View Post
THE End-all, Be-all TJ alignment thread to be sure. I have learned more from this single source than any other. Thanks to you Flatlander for all the info., and to all who ask the right questions. I am subscribed. So far, I solved my Death Wobble with a $20 balance. Thanx again. BART
Glad it helped you!

I'm getting close to finishing the front suspension on my 1 ton TJ.. once I have it up and running and legal and inspected I'll be sure to get an alignment and post the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #95
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
I'm currently running a stock front trackbar, which has been rubbing.

I own a JKS adjustable front trackbar, but it's not installed yet. I wonder if the JKS adjustable front trackbar would (once installed) have more clearance to the diff cover than the stock trackbar?

the jks has less clearance than stock, on some rigs they hit the stock covers.. click the track bar link in my sig...

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #96
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

To Mudb8 and Flatlander, and anyone else:

Which aftermarket front trackbar is good and has as much, or more, clearance to diff cover than stock front trackbar?

i.e. - which aftermarket front trackbar do you recommend for a 3" lift?
Unread 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #97
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
To Mudb8 and Flatlander, and anyone else:

Which aftermarket front trackbar is good and has as much, or more, clearance to diff cover than stock front trackbar?

i.e. - which aftermarket front trackbar do you recommend for a 3" lift?
nth degree and currie are the only ones that have "as much or more"..

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #98
RichMcG

Had my alignment checked out a few days ago. Checked this thread before I went. I've got -0.1 camber on the right front, and I don't consider that to be enough to require a $90 ball joint and $200 of install labor. Am I wrong? And why would I have -0.1 on a stock Rubi? Running the new 245/75/16 Wrangler MT/Rs.
RichMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #99
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMcG View Post
Had my alignment checked out a few days ago. Checked this thread before I went. I've got -0.1 camber on the right front, and I don't consider that to be enough to require a $90 ball joint and $200 of install labor. Am I wrong? And why would I have -0.1 on a stock Rubi? Running the new 245/75/16 Wrangler MT/Rs.

prolly cuz the dude that checked it wanted something to do and diddn't go bang on the tire to make it read in spec....

I wouldn't worry about it.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #100
RichMcG

I'd say forcing a correction would be worse than the fix he offered. I'm only trying to estimate how often I should rotate my tires to spread the wear difference to all 4 (if possible).
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #101
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMcG View Post
I'd say forcing a correction would be worse than the fix he offered. I'm only trying to estimate how often I should rotate my tires to spread the wear difference to all 4 (if possible).
.1 degree?.... can you put that in inches?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 06-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #102
RichMcG

Approx 0.541 inches at top of tread.....I think. Let me make sure on that.
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:05 PM   #103
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dude... that is ONE TENTH OF A DEGREE!!

The guy is BSing you. Chances are he would charge you hundreds to install and realign, and just push on the alignment head to make it say zero.

FWIW I'd estimate that would equate to less than 1/8" camber from top to top and bottom to bottom of the front tires.

The OEM spec is -1.0 to +1.0 degrees IIRC. You are dead in the middle. Perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #104
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

My camber spec is -0.9 degrees left side, and -0.6 degrees right side. Just found out today. Considering adjustable ball joints to be able to adjust. My alignment guy told me that he thinks it's a borderline call if it's worth the cost of adjustable ball joints, and he thinks I could just ignore and rotate more often.

However, I think I want the adjustable ball joints. What do you guys think?
Unread 06-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #105
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I now have a Rancho drop pitman arm intended for a 2.5" lift install and it seems to be OK on my 2.75" lift.

I now have my new JKS adjustable front trackbar installed and adjusted, but I don't like it because clearance to front diff cover (still the Riddler on there) looks bad. It looks to me like the front trackbar will hit the front diff cover when suspsension compresses on a hard bump.

I like the looks of the Nth Degree front trackbar kit and drop pitman arm better. Looks like more clearance to front diff cover. Also looks like a stiffer and stronger front trackbar. So I'm thinking of getting an Nth Degree front trackbar kit and Nth Degree drop pitman arm (they go together) and replacing the JKS front trackbar and Rancho drop pitman arm.

However, here is my concern. The Nth Degree trackbar kit and Nth drop pitman arm say they require 3" of lift or more to work.

I have 2.75" of lift on front, and approx same on rear. Would the Nth Degree front trackbar kit and Nth drop pitman arm work for me? Would the Nth Degree front trackbar clear engine and front axle during suspension compression?

Also, which would be better for 2.75" lift, an Nth Degree or Currie adjustable front trackbar?

Last edited by CB3; 06-13-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.