The "End-all, Be-all TJ Alignment thread" (LONG read) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The "End-all, Be-all TJ Alignment thread" (LONG read)

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #46
Gixxxerdan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 1999 TJ with a six inch rough country lift and 2 inch body lift. I got it aliegned and the shop said i need a bottom ball joint that is adjustable for more adjustment ?? Where may i get this...

Gixxxerdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #47
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

i was trying to tell you in your other thread you dont need them unless your axle is bent, i would try second shop,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...highlight=ball
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...highlight=ball

looks like a mopar part

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 12:38 PM   #48
cj847
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread flatlander. I am very interested in how the SAI, caster, camber and toe interealation ship affects us on our modified vehicles. Specifically:

-If you were to order a new front axle assembly from say Currie for your lifted TJ and you wanted to rotate the pinion angle to some setting, would you have them still set the knuckles for a caster of 7 degrees? Or should that number be different due to larger tires, different wheel offsets etc?

-If you took an axle from say a 1979 F150 and stuck it under your jeep, should you weld the brackets on such that you used the alignment specs from the Ford truck or from the Jeep (ie let's say the Ford called for 3 degree caster vs the jeep 7 degrees for example)?

I'm guessing you would set it to the Ford specs since that would be how the contact patch was engineered?
Unread 01-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #49
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
Great thread flatlander. I am very interested in how the SAI, caster, camber and toe interealation ship affects us on our modified vehicles. Specifically:

-If you were to order a new front axle assembly from say Currie for your lifted TJ and you wanted to rotate the pinion angle to some setting, would you have them still set the knuckles for a caster of 7 degrees? Or should that number be different due to larger tires, different wheel offsets etc?

-If you took an axle from say a 1979 F150 and stuck it under your jeep, should you weld the brackets on such that you used the alignment specs from the Ford truck or from the Jeep (ie let's say the Ford called for 3 degree caster vs the jeep 7 degrees for example)?

I'm guessing you would set it to the Ford specs since that would be how the contact patch was engineered?
1. If you were getting a custom axle built, have the pinion angle set to what it needs to be or close(the front isn't as picky about pinion angle as the rear... it's only under torque in 4wd otherwise it's only connected at one end basically) and set the caster to whatever it should be. If you're running 35s then go for 5 degrees. I can't comment on anything bigger, that's something to check out at Pirate 4x4.

2. Again it depends on the tires entirely. The stock Jeep specs mean nothing since they're likely not going to be used with 30" tires. And the Ford specs don't matter much either as the axle won't be used in the same application or with the same tire size.

The contact patch was engineered for maybe 31" tires(whatever the F150 in question had stock). It won't be used with that small of a tire I'm guessing so it's a moot point.

Once you get into crazy modifications it gets to a "whatever works" sort of deal. From 30s to 31s 7 degrees is acceptable. 35s favor 5 degrees, so 33s fall somewhere in the 6 degree area I'm speculating. After that, let it eat and hope for the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #50
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for this thread.
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #51
CCJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Edit found answer

Last edited by CCJ; 02-14-2009 at 11:17 PM..
CCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #52
semprfimac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Camber & Adjustable Upper Ball Joints?

I've noticed not normal wear on the insides of my front MTR 35x12.50's so after rebalancing I took her in for an alignment and was told my camber is way off with both upper ball joints and they could not fix the problem without a replacement with adjustable ball joints ? WTF ? Ideas?
semprfimac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #53
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, the TJ's camber angle is not adjustable without installing adjustable ball joints. I can't imagine the camber angle being off that much with such a new TJ though unless you've been jumping it out in the desert. Maybe a second opinion is needed on that. Does your TJ's camber angle look ok from the front?

And a big welcome to JF Semprfimac... always happy to have the Marines here!

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #54
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Either something may be bent(axle) or the alignment rack isn't/wasn't level. Got the alignment print-out specs on hand?

If one side is way positive and the other is way negative(ie: +0.5 and -0.5) then chances are the rack wasn't level and the guy didn't know what he was doing or they did it on purpose trying to make you buy stuff as everyone's hurting for money now.

Quote:
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 02-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #55
semprfimac
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Camber & Adjustable Upper Ball Joints?

Jerry, you nailed it, I have been jumping her out in the desert in a place called Glamis dunes. I do have a friend who works at a Jepp shop so I'll have him check it out as well but in case I do need to purchase new joints, Any ideas on vendors or models for these ball joints?

And thanks for the welcome aboard ! OooRaahh !
semprfimac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #56
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know of a particular brand of adjustable ball joints Semperfimac but if your local auto parts store does't have a good recommendation, you can get them from your Jeep dealer's parts department. But you may have to have them order them as they may not stock them.

Unread 02-28-2009, 11:06 PM   #57
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I hope the alignment people here could give me some advice. I am getting excessive camber wear on the outsides of my front tires.(Positive Camber) I am fairly sure this would be a sign of worn ball joints, correct?

If it had wear on the insides of the tires that would make sense the axle was bent upwards. Bending the axle downwards would be fairly difficult.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #58
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'd say check your toe-in first and rotate tires frequently. Normally when a balljoint wears the tire will tilt inwards(negative camber).

I suppose it's possible to bend an axle goofy upwards, but the chances of that are pretty slim IMO.

The excessive wear on the outside can be caused by a lot of toe combined with lots of city driving/turning. When you go around corners the outside of the tire will grip more as weight is transfered to the outside front wheel.

What kind of tires? How long since rotated?

I rotated my Swampers every 3k miles and with 22k miles on them they wore real evenly and still have about 8k miles of good usable tread life left.

Quote:
Currently Jeepless.
Unread 03-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #59
dequity

How does your average Joe set his steering wheel alignment on a 2000 stock TJ? Will I throw everything else out of whack?
Unread 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #60
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dequity View Post
How does your average Joe set his steering wheel alignment on a 2000 stock TJ? Will I throw everything else out of whack?
Should we take that to mean you didn't bother reading the thread before asking this?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.