The "End-all, Be-all TJ Alignment thread" (LONG read) - Page 17 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 291 Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 AM
SideshowBob024
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cypress
Posts: 1,192
Can we discuss Caster and backspacing?

Somebody brought it up that because my Craigslist special wheels have less backspacing to allow 35x13.5's some more space. How does this effect what I want to do with Caster? This person indicated it may have an impact and I was trying to think it out in my head and failed.

SideshowBob024 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 291 Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM
familyTJ
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: denver
Posts: 27
Great thread. Going to try it myself this weekend.
familyTJ is offline  
post #243 of 291 Old 10-04-2012, 11:18 AM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 19,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob024 View Post
Can we discuss Caster and backspacing?

Somebody brought it up that because my Craigslist special wheels have less backspacing to allow 35x13.5's some more space. How does this effect what I want to do with Caster? This person indicated it may have an impact and I was trying to think it out in my head and failed.
This doesn't make any sense to me. You haven't changed the location or orientation of the wheel mounting surface at all. In fact, isn't one of the ways advocated in this thread for doing the alignment is the wheels off with metal rods strapped to the mounting surface? That method would take the wheels completely out of the equation.

#feelthejohnson
biffgnar is online now  
post #244 of 291 Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM
SideshowBob024
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cypress
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
This doesn't make any sense to me. You haven't changed the location or orientation of the wheel mounting surface at all. In fact, isn't one of the ways advocated in this thread for doing the alignment is the wheels off with metal rods strapped to the mounting surface? That method would take the wheels completely out of the equation.
That's what I said. His argument was you changed the center of where the tire touches the road and henceforth changing the imaginary line where the caster "line" hits the road. I didn't buy it but I figured it was worth posting if for no other reason then to make sure I don't need to change anything.
SideshowBob024 is offline  
post #245 of 291 Old 10-06-2012, 03:35 AM
SpeedJeep
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: St. Charles
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideshowBob024

That's what I said. His argument was you changed the center of where the tire touches the road and henceforth changing the imaginary line where the caster "line" hits the road. I didn't buy it but I figured it was worth posting if for no other reason then to make sure I don't need to change anything.
Someone needs to check the definition of caster. He might mean camber but that's not adjustable without buying special ball joints.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
SpeedJeep is offline  
post #246 of 291 Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 PM
TheRealKTrain
Registered User
JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,687
This is for you, Slackjaw

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline  
post #247 of 291 Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
This is for you, Slackjaw
lol, thanks honey!

just came to read, but I'll go ahead and ask in this post...

When we say (arbitrarily) 1/4" toe in....

Are we saying line up to 0" neutral toe, and then adjust the front 1/4" shorter?

Or are we saying a differential between the front and back measurement of 1/4" (I suppose which would be effectively +/- 1/8")




Gonna go read now.
SlackJaw is offline  
post #248 of 291 Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,239
okay so according to the link to the write up in the OP, it is the second of the two:

"Continue this process until the width in the front is about 1/16" (but no more than 1/8") closer together than the back."

Anyone care to confirm or refute?

Thanks!
SlackJaw is offline  
post #249 of 291 Old 10-09-2012, 08:58 AM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 19,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackJaw View Post
lol, thanks honey!

just came to read, but I'll go ahead and ask in this post...

When we say (arbitrarily) 1/4" toe in....

Are we saying line up to 0" neutral toe, and then adjust the front 1/4" shorter?

Or are we saying a differential between the front and back measurement of 1/4" (I suppose which would be effectively +/- 1/8")




Gonna go read now.
Been awhile since I read this whole thread, but I look for difference between front and back of ~ 1/8". I don't think either of the options you suggested are that.

#feelthejohnson
biffgnar is online now  
post #250 of 291 Old 10-09-2012, 08:59 AM
SlackJaw
baby jeep
 
SlackJaw's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 5,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Been awhile since I read this whole thread, but I look for difference between front and back of ~ 1/8". I don't think either of the options you suggested are that.
perhaps I used the word "differential" incorrectly, but yeh, that is what I meant.
SlackJaw is offline  
post #251 of 291 Old 07-28-2013, 09:46 PM
fasttrucks
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: meadville
Posts: 11
ok i want to add a heavy duty tie rod bar and new tie rods to my 2002 tj do i need to get it alined or can i just set my tow that i have now which is a half inch when i take the diffance bewteen the measurement in the front of the tire and the rear of the tire ?
fasttrucks is offline  
post #252 of 291 Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 19,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttrucks View Post
ok i want to add a heavy duty tie rod bar and new tie rods to my 2002 tj do i need to get it alined or can i just set my tow that i have now which is a half inch when i take the diffance bewteen the measurement in the front of the tire and the rear of the tire ?
All you need to do is reset toe, but 1/2" is not right.

#feelthejohnson
biffgnar is online now  
post #253 of 291 Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM
mike_dippert
hodophobic
 
mike_dippert's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,494
Garage
The factory spec limits, with your 32" tires gives the following range:
0.201062-0.134041 or
3/16 - 2/16
mike_dippert is offline  
post #254 of 291 Old 03-16-2014, 04:34 PM
MudCrud
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: St. Marys
Posts: 3
Thanks for all the help guys. I am doing a transfer drop Monday to hopefully solve my small vibe issues.
MudCrud is offline  
post #255 of 291 Old 03-16-2014, 11:16 PM
bbradUSMC
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Corpus Christi
Posts: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudCrud View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I am doing a transfer drop Monday to hopefully solve my small vibe issues.
Why? MML is a better option.

Live Free,
Brad
bbradUSMC is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Rubicon Express/Mopar 4.5" Long Arm vs Teraflex 4" Long arm, which one is best? SaharaBlackNo1 JK Wrangler Technical Forum 20 04-24-2010 12:39 PM
The "End-all, Be-all TJ Summer thread" (LONG read) RnEmOvr TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 12 04-22-2010 10:33 PM
Alignment Specs with 4" RC lift and 1" Boom shackles Walnutz YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 10 01-19-2010 05:42 PM
My license plate should read "MNYPIT" Shinner YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 08-31-2004 12:19 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome