Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

EMP gas tank skid install, before and after pics

12K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  1999TJRED85000 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed my Extreame Metal Products (EMP) gas tank skid this weekend which lifts the tank 1" and protects it with 3/16" steel. Here is my 2c on the product with before and after pics.

First off, I chose this product based on wanting a 3/16" gas tank skid that lifts the tank 1", and at $179 this thing is a bargin.

It arrived on my door step with the box 1/2 torn open and pretty good chipping of the powder coat along the exposed weld line. (The welds were also not the cleanest welds I had seen). The powder coat was chipped down to bare steel. I don't know if this was UPS' fault or that the product wasn't really packed well. The box was slightly oversized and there was nothing in there to prevent the skid from sliding around.

After I gave it a few coats of black spray to cover the exposed metal it was ready to go. This thing weighs about 50lbs.

The instructions left a lot to be desired. I consulted the writeup for the Kilby tank skid install on 4x4xplor.com and my FSM. Both the EMP instructions and 4x4xplor instructions leave out some critical steps for us later model TJ guys that my trusty FSM covered in great detail.

The later TJs need to disconnect (I think it was called) the GVRS, Gas Vapor Recovery System. It is located in the fender on the passenger side. After you remove the fender liner and the support bracket, there are 2 vapor lines that must be disconected. The upper one is a PITA.

After that things were relitively easy, disconnected 2 more varpor lines, the electical plug and the high pressure fuel line (after pressure has been released) at the front left of the tank. Unbolt it and drop it out.

Test fit the new skid, then swap the tank into the new skid and reattach the retaining straps:

Then raise the tank and skid backup into position with a floor jack and some help. It bolted in smoothly and everything lined up without having to do any 'adjusting' with a BFH as the instrustions said may be necissary. :rolleyes: The front right mount was kindof a pain as the bolt hole lined up in such a way you could only get a closed wrench on there and turn 1/16 turn at a time. But it was able to bolt up snug.

And the before and after pics.

Before:

After:

Big improvement, and I am very happy with it. Especially for the price. If anyone local wants a late model TJ skid (heavier than early model) send me a PM.

Edit: edited for spelling.

See less See more
#3 ·
I installed the same gas skid on my TJ last week. It is very beefy and is a LOT cheaper than the Kilby skid and is pretty much the same thing. Both raise the tank 1" and use 3/16" steel. I would highly recommend this gas skid for anyone in the market, as it was $200 shipped to my door.

-Matt

#4 ·
blacktjsport said:
I installed the same gas skid on my TJ last week. It is very beefy and is a LOT cheaper than the Kilby skid and is pretty much the same thing. Both raise the tank 1" and use 3/16" steel. I would highly recommend this gas skid for anyone in the market, as it was $200 shipped to my door.

-Matt
I was looking at the Kilby skid also and went this route instead, and am happy with it.

Something I forgot to mention, this skid also improved my trackbar clearance. With my old skid there were some contact marks on the trackbar and very little clearance. This skid added about 1/2" trackbar clearance. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
yellow04 said:
So it did give you more trackbar clearance, that's good to know. My 8.8 track bar mount is eating into the tank itself, not the skid. I need the tank to push back another 3/8" or so.
I didn't measure, but I'd estimate I got 3/8 - 1/2" more trackbar clearance from the old skid to the new skid, but if yours is digging into the tank itself I'm not sure that will be enough. Although the instructions do indicate that the skid is 'adjustable' with a BFH. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
I also installed the EMP gas skid and for the price, it has good value.

Mine arrived in a beat up box as well. Part of the reason is the lack of packing to prevent shifting and part is due to the weight and how UPS manhandles their packages.

My only issue was the rear slots that fit in the upper retaining bolts. The slots allowed for forward/rearward movement but were only as wide as the bolt thereby preventing lateral movement. I had to lower and drill out two slots to allow for proper alignment.

I have a 2000 TJ and the factory skid is about 1/16” thick or less. A gas skid is a great improvement to reduce pucker factor over large rocks.:)

#8 ·
Looks great, You have an LJ right? How long did it take to install?

#9 ·
stevensinger said:
Looks great, You have an LJ right? How long did it take to install?
Flash from the past. Thanks. :) I have a TJ, not an LJ. With an LJ I don't think you don't need the 1" BL to run the skid. It was a while ago but I recall it took a couple hours mainly because the included instructions were terrible.

#10 ·
Crashnburn80 said:
IThe later TJs need to disconnect (I think it was called) the GVRS, Gas Vapor Recovery System. It is located in the fender on the passenger side. After you remove the fender liner and the support bracket, there are 2 vapor lines that must be disconected. The upper one is a PITA.

After that things were relitively easy, disconnected 2 more varpor lines, the electical plug and the high pressure fuel line (after pressure has been released) at the front left of the tank. Unbolt it and drop it out.
Any idea what years need to do this? I installed an EMP plate on mine and have had evap codes ever since. I didn't do anything inside the fender and am wandering if this is why I have these codes.

#11 ·
01amberfirewv said:
Any idea what years need to do this? I installed an EMP plate on mine and have had evap codes ever since. I didn't do anything inside the fender and am wandering if this is why I have these codes.
03+ have the evap canister in the passenger side fender. 02 and below do not have it or it is somewhere else...im pretty sure they dont have it at all.

#12 ·
I too installed a EMP skid. It worked wonders in Moab, dragged it more than any other part on my non-lifted TJ.

However, I tightened the straps to hold the tank to the skid but when I installed the skid/tank, it crushed the tank into the under-body enough that I had to tighten both staps' nuts about a 1/2" more.

I'm guessing the new skid sandwiched the tank between itself and the under-body, compressing the tank, thus making the straps adjustment off.

Here's the kicker, now the engine starves for fuel when I'm flooring it in 5th gear trying to go 70mph uphill.

Haven't diagnosed it yet, sounds like fuel filter, could it be a fuel line is crushed between the body and the tank?

It has been months but since you can't drive over 55 around here, it's not a priority.

#14 ·
kc7yrs said:
Did you need to change the exaust output angle? Or is the clearance the same as the factory skidplate?

Maybe I'll see you guys out around the Reiter Trails in NW Washington sometime.

Bob
No exhaust mods needed

#15 · (Edited)
When they are, the rocks should be more than willing to provide the labor :laugh:

Anyways, any current review of this product as to how well it's working? Wasn't around for a few months and now I'm feeling like I'm out of touch. TxT apparently is gone, Nth degree sort of picked up by AEV. This is killing me.

#23 ·
Jeep-n-Sleep said:
Hey im installing this same skid tomorrow, any pointer you could give? Mostly I am concerned about how difficult it is going to be getting to all the lines to disconnect them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I'm installing one also...any help is appreciated. Mine came packaged very well ! The box was in good condition, there were packing materials inside the box and the skid had shrink wrap ! So I guess EMP is listening, however, the instructions look like they make a lot of assumed steps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.