Emergency Brake Warning Light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Emergency Brake Warning Light

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
PMSteve
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Emergency Brake Warning Light

I've searched this and found only one thread but it really didn't cover my question.

2001 TJ sport:

My E-Brake warning light is on full-time. The brake is off.

Can anyone tell me if this is a fused circuit?

Where is the E-Brake warning switch located and can it be disconnected or bypassed?

I know that the switch is either bad or has become fouled and that the brake itself is not engaged.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Unread 03-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
BChance0975
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you DON'T have antilocks, check on the proportioning valve under the master cylinder...it will have one wire coming off a sensor. Pull that wire and see if the light goes off. If it does it sees, or thinks it sees a pressure differential from front to rear that indicates a leak in the system. Make sure your brake fluid levels are good...

If the light does not go off or you DO have antilocks, It is most likely the 5 dollar or so switch under the console, or a good cleaning of the one that is there. It should be down at the base of the park brake lever IIRC...easy to find with the console out...

The fused thing... yes I believe it is, but bypassing it is a bad idea. More than just that on the circuit, and it will disable things that shouldn't be disabled. If I was home I could check the book and tell you exactly, but I am at work for 12 more hours....either way, should be an easy fix, and always better to repair right than bypass something like that.
BChance0975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Unless I'm mistaken, check your brake fluid level also. The warning light is "multi-functional".
Unread 03-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

X2 on check the fluid. That's a pretty standard warning for low fluid.
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
X2 on check the fluid. That's a pretty standard warning for low fluid.
Really, all this time on the board and you've never checked the master in your rig and noticed there is no float valve or any other type of level sensor?

No, that wire has nothing to do with the fluid level unless it gets low enough for the shuttle valve in the combo valve to kick over to one side or the other.
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine

Really, all this time on the board and you've never checked the master in your rig and noticed there is no float valve or any other type of level sensor?

No, that wire has nothing to do with the fluid level unless it gets low enough for the shuttle valve in the combo valve to kick over to one side or the other.
Did you miss your meds today? But you did catch me, I have never opened the hood, or craweled under my Jeep.

I did say the brake light on was a pretty common warning for low fluid level, refering to several vehicles I have seen it on. I know there is no float, but I have seen the light on because the level had been low on my very own Jeep.

Stop being pissy because you have an RCV template to use so you can build us whiney RCV owners a BBK.
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you miss your meds today? I didn't say anything about a wire, but you did catch me. I have never opened the hood, or craweled under my Jeep.

I did say the brake light on was a pretty common warning for low fluid level, refering to several vehicles I have seen it on. I know there is no float, but I have seen the light on because the level had been low on my very own Jeep.
The light wasn't on to indicate a low fluid level and that is a very important distinction because you can trip the light with a full reservoir. It only turns on when the shuttle valve is shifted and that only happens when differential pressure is high enough on one side to kick it over.

That tells you there is a problem, from there you need to find out what the problem is. Similar to the CEL, it only means you need to dig into it to diagnose the actual cause.

It can shift from low fluid, a leak in one side, too much travel in a wheel cylinder, sticky proportioning valve, air in the master with the reservoir full, improper bleeding procedures, and other things. Or, the dash light can turn on because you spilled your soda in the console and it glued the momentary switch in place.
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you miss your meds today? But you did catch me, I have never opened the hood, or craweled under my Jeep.

Stop being pissy because you have an RCV templet to use so you can build us whiney RCV owners a BBK.
The 06 has a level indicator?

OP, there is a switch on your parking brake handle...if it is stuck on it will illuminate the light.
Pull your center console up to access the switch.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Stop being pissy because you have an RCV templet to use so you can build us whiney RCV owners a BBK.
ijp4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijp4fun View Post

If you want to see pissy, try using the open end of a combination wrench to tighten a nut after I've very patiently explained why you shouldn't at least 10 times. After the 10th time, the wrench will be yours to own, you will buy me one just like it and you can go fetch yours up out of the creek I heaved it into.

If you want to see pissier, try handing me the stinger for the Mig and not turning the gas on after I've very patiently explained how, why, and when it should be touched. How is to turn the valve in the direction of the little arrow. Why is because I don't like porous tacks that I have to take apart, grind off and start over with. When is on in the morning, off in the evening. My welder doesn't leak, it hurts nothing to leave it on all day. Just make sure it's on first thing. Failure to accomplish the simple things make me very pissy.

Things like being unable to spell template.
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #11
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
The 06 has a level indicator?
I already heard that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You thought that was pissy?

Things like being unable to spell template.
He was trying to quote my edited post up above. I can blame my spelling errors on my phone like everyone else, or my lack of effort in school.
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
badwrench
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just noticed i have the same problem on the brake light.Mine is on & when i pull the park brake on the light gets brighter ??. I will check all the above ideas.. i'll try & not get too pissy while looking !! Cheers.
badwrench is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.