Emergency Brake Problems!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Emergency Brake Problems!!!!

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
SoonerDad

Emergency Brake Problems!!!!

I am fed up with my emergency brake. I bought the Jeep back in July. The emergency brake worked. Slowly it got worse. Now, no matter what we do, we cannot get it to work.

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Danna 44 Front/Rear Axles

previous owner replaced driver and passenger cables with 2004 Rubicon Cables a short time back

The pads were replaced when a shop found leaking wheel bearings, but did not fix it

Then the cable from the consule was replaced, and it held, but not that well, but quit by the time I got home.

Any ideas??? It should be simple. What else can I replace or adjust. Chilton's is not clear about disc brakes... Thanks!

SoonerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDad View Post
I am fed up with my emergency brake. I bought the Jeep back in July. The emergency brake worked. Slowly it got worse. Now, no matter what we do, we cannot get it to work.

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Danna 44 Front/Rear Axles

previous owner replaced driver and passenger cables with 2004 Rubicon Cables a short time back

The pads were replaced when a shop found leaking wheel bearings, but did not fix it

Then the cable from the consule was replaced, and it held, but not that well, but quit by the time I got home.

Any ideas??? It should be simple. What else can I replace or adjust. Chilton's is not clear about disc brakes... Thanks!
The parking brake uses shoes, not pads and they adjust just like shoes in drum brakes. Adjust them until you can barely turn the tire by hand, go for a slow drive about a block or so in length and while doing that, apply the parking brake by hand so it drags. That will help to bed the shoes to the inner drum.

Take it back and adjust the shoes again until they just drag when you turn the tires by hand. Then and only then, use the cable adjuster to take out the slack in the cables. All of that will net you a parking brake that just about fully applies 3 clicks up.
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
SoonerDad

The shop says they have done that, but I am going to take your response to them and say follow this. If not, I will do it myself. I took it to a shop to save time....

Thanks!
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
SoonerDad

I should mention that they even put a 1 or 1/2" spacer on the cable from the consul. I hope that has not been destroyed. Maybe the previous owner ruined the cables by not adjusting them correctly. hmmm.....
Unread 10-11-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
SoonerDad

Would the 3" Suspension and 1" body lift affect the cables?
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Would the 3" Suspension and 1" body lift affect the cables?
Not in the least.
Unread 10-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I should mention that they even put a 1 or 1/2" spacer on the cable from the consul. I hope that has not been destroyed. Maybe the previous owner ruined the cables by not adjusting them correctly. hmmm.....
A possible scenario is the PO kept adjusting the cables until the shoes are gone. What may need to happen is new shoes installed, bedded, and then adjust the cables.
Unread 10-11-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
SoonerDad

It is working now! We still have the spacer in on the adjusting bolt, but it works on 3 clicks! Right now we are thinking the 2004 bracket was located in a different place from the 2001.

Thanks for your help!
Unread 10-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is working now! We still have the spacer in on the adjusting bolt, but it works on 3 clicks! Right now we are thinking the 2004 bracket was located in a different place from the 2001.

Thanks for your help!
It's in the same spot I believe, I think it's either shorter or the cable from the handle is different. I've had to put the spacer on as well when swapping to the Rubi cables for some and not for others.

It may also be they changed the cables at some point. Typically around here they try to get a VIN to sell the cables which leads me to believe there are a couple of different versions. Not sure though.
Unread 10-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
Wimpstert
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If I park on a hill with the rear of Jeep on the low side the Jeep will roll with only the E brake on but if the front is on the low side she doesn't roll....could this be the same issue mrblaine?
Wimpstert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
Phreak480
2006 LJ Wrangler 

some of the hill issue has to do with the shoes grabbing better in 1 direction than the other. its an unfortunate reality of drum brakes
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.