Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Electrical turn signal problem

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mdm 
#1 ·
Ok when I turn on my left turn signal my odometer read out also blinks.:confused: I have replace the multifunction switch allready. anyone know where to look next?

#4 ·
The turn signal wires in the flares have been cut and lengthened. If they were reversed would/could they cause the problem?

#5 ·
like i said, if there is a problem with a ground, that could cause this.

It'll just ground through the easiest path it can find. Causing silly things to happen, like my non blinking blinker. Sorry, I'm not too savy with really technical electrical stuff. I just know some basics, and I have had people tell me it's a ground problem.

#6 ·
Shorty said:
The turn signal wires in the flares have been cut and lengthened. If they were reversed would/could they cause the problem?
Discionnect the wires to the left signal/park light somewhere before the area you lengthened them. Problem goes away? Redo your wiring job.

#7 ·
Marneaus said:
when I put on my left signal its fine unless I press the brake, in which case the blinker stays on, but doesnt blink.
That is nothing more than the turn signal lever not returning fully to its center position after completing a turn. A nudge on the turn signal lever towards its center position when this happens will cure the brake illuminating the left turn arrow. :)

#8 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
That is nothing more than the turn signal lever not returning fully to its center position after completing a turn. A nudge on the turn signal lever towards its center position when this happens will cure the brake illuminating the left turn arrow. :)
To quote Genesis "there must be some misunderstanding"

The problem is that when I signal, if i press the brake it stops blinking but remains on. As soon as i release the brake it starts blinking, and when I complete the turn it snaps back like normal.

#9 ·
Marneaus said:
To quote Genesis "there must be some misunderstanding"

The problem is that when I signal, if i press the brake it stops blinking but remains on. As soon as i release the brake it starts blinking, and when I complete the turn it snaps back like normal.
That's a slightly different symptom then. That sounds exactly like a missing or very weak ground. I'd inspect all of the turn signal sockets for corrosion and/or a bad ground wire connection between the socket and the tub.

The other problem I mentioned of the turn signal light illuminating when the brake pedal is stepped on is the turn signal switch problem... a different issue. :)

#10 ·
Marneaus said:
...The problem is that when I signal, if i press the brake it stops blinking but remains on. As soon as i release the brake it starts blinking, and when I complete the turn it snaps back like normal.
Make sure the 4-way flasher lever is all the way "Off". My '00 would act like this sometimes. I'd give the lever a nudge to the right and things would straighten out. Would usually do it after I'd had the flashers on but sometimes it would just do it on its own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.