Electrical problem - need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical problem - need help

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 05-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
flcrtchrckt
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Electrical problem - need help

I have a 99 Wrangler TJ - most times when I start it the radio, turn signals, windshield wipers don't work... sometimes they do. If I turn it off and restart it a couple times it will eventually all work. Its all or none. The items listed are not on the same fuse, the fuses are fine. Any one else have this problem or know what I need to fix it? Thanks!

flcrtchrckt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 02:12 AM   #2
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

check your battery connections... maby a bad ground??? dose it start all the time??
Unread 05-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Look inside the fuse box (not just under the cover, but actually inside it where the buswork is - you may need a screwdriver, and you will definitely need to disconnect from the battery). You may have a loose/broken/corroded bus bar.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It is your ignition key not returning to the 'run postion, a fairly common problem on wranglers. Next time it happens, try nudging the key back towards off just a little, and everything will power up.

I squirt a little powdered graphite into the lock cylinder and work the key back and forth. This fix is usually good for about 3-5 months each time.

Curly
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
It is your ignition key not returning to the 'run postion, a fairly common problem on wranglers. Next time it happens, try nudging the key back towards off just a little, and everything will power up.

I squirt a little powdered graphite into the lock cylinder and work the key back and forth. This fix is usually good for about 3-5 months each time.

Curly
Ditto....
Very common problem.
Freaked me out the first time it happened to me
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #6
gmaus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There is a good chance it is the two plugs that plug into the back of the dash aren't making good contact. Pull the dash clean the contacts on it and on the plugs. Since I did that the problem has not come back. I do believe there is a write up on this.
gmaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
bruteboy

I think these items use a common ground in the engine compartment near the headlights
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.