Electrical issues on hot days - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical issues on hot days

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Electrical issues on hot days

So for the 2nd time driving my jeep topless, parked in the 90+ degree sun all day long...had several weird issues on the way home.

This morning the jeep ran 100% normal, but on the way home...

Started up fine, drove fine but about 5min into the drive, I look down to see my gauges are dead. Randomly a while later, the small gauges are back (batt, gas, oil, water) and continue to work all the way home. After a bit the tach/speedo come back, then die again on their own. I tap the dash at one point and they come back, but die off again, then about 2mi from home come back on (on their own) and stay on the rest of the way. When the gauges were dead, the airbag light was on but signal lights worked fine. Odo worked fine the whole way.

When I get home and let it idle a bit, I test the diff dash lights, signals, lights, etc (all work fine). I notice when I turn the lights on, the batt gauge dips...so I start playing....

If I turn the AC on (lowest fan setting) and spike it up to full blast, I get god awful belt squeak which gets worse applying gas and a good dip in the batt. Kill the fan (even just one notch down), squeaking gone, batt needle centers.

Its never done this before and the only changed variable is that sitting in the hot sun all day. Any of these problems individually would be easier to nail down. Heres my plan of attack per my research so far:

-Going to get the alternator checked
-Going to remove the gauge cluster and clean the connectors (which symptom wise seems right on, but odd thats its coupled with my other issues)
-My battery is only 1000 miles old, so it should be ok, but will test it.

Any other insight?

cadeucsb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Tex
2003 TJ Wrangler 

From just what I've seen a bad alternator causes all kinds of weird electrical problems. From gauges not working all the way up to setting off the security systems on some fords. I know that has nothing to do with your jeep. Just saying that an alternator issue could let all kinds of electrical gremlins loose.
Unread 06-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Keil1016
2004 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like your jeep needs a priest
Unread 06-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

from your description and actions [turn on this etc].... i'd ask how often do u use your a/c... sounds like the belt squeak came from the ac compressor engaging or a sticky pulley. if it hasnt been engaged in a good while the internals might be alittle 'sticky'. that would put resistance on the belt and slow everything down including the alternator as well as cause voltage issues by trying to keep the ac clutch engaged.

personally i'd check the ac unit compressor and clutch pulley as well as the alternator, possibly one of them may be going bad.

with the jeep in idle, and you pull the lights on, yes your battery guage will dip abit.

good luck... gremlins suck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats true, this was the first day I tried to the AC full blast (since I was testing), as I dont usually run it with the top off and this is its first warm weather use (no AC in the winter obviously).

So this morning, gauges were on/off again...however I realized, its not tapping the top of cluster that gets them back on...if I push (even really lightly) in the area of this screw:

It comes back to life (then dies again after a couple secs/min)...I did have my whole dash apart for painting a week ago, so maybe something about screwing that panel back in is hosing a ground? When I get my hands on a screwdriver, gonna tighten it up or pull the screw and clean it, see if it fixes it....I wasn't aware of any ground in that area though.

First things first going to get the alternator a free testing at autozone as I agree with the above poster, a dying alternator can cause all sorts of issues. Then on to the AC
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hot weather can also kill a battery. If your alternator has been on the way out since you changed the battery, then you might have been slowly draining the battery itself. To my understanding, the Jeep alternator requires a 12 volt input signal before it even begins working...thus, if you're below 12 volts at times, the battery can go out on you and cause a plethora of gremlins.

I think your A/C pulley might be a separate issue, but don't take my word for it. I'm not sure why that would be related to your gauge problems, although either the alternator, battery or both could cause the dash to screw up on you.

Also, if you had the dash apart, your connector could be at fault...it's a known problem.

Your plan of attack sounds good to me. Also check your battery terminals and connections.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I think your A/C pulley might be a separate issue, but don't take my word for it. I'm not sure why that would be related to your gauge problems, although either the alternator, battery or both could cause the dash to screw up on you.

Also, if you had the dash apart, your connector could be at fault...it's a known problem.
yea, any of these problems separately would make more sense and make it easier to troubleshoot. I didnt actually remove the cluster when I painted, so I didnt mess with the connector. However, I do plan to pull it/clean the connectors (mostly because I never have and the interior of the jeep was filthy when I bought it)
Unread 07-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

ever figure this one out?

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
Thats true, this was the first day I tried to the AC full blast (since I was testing), as I dont usually run it with the top off and this is its first warm weather use (no AC in the winter obviously).

So this morning, gauges were on/off again...however I realized, its not tapping the top of cluster that gets them back on...if I push (even really lightly) in the area of this screw:

It comes back to life (then dies again after a couple secs/min)...I did have my whole dash apart for painting a week ago, so maybe something about screwing that panel back in is hosing a ground? When I get my hands on a screwdriver, gonna tighten it up or pull the screw and clean it, see if it fixes it....I wasn't aware of any ground in that area though.

First things first going to get the alternator a free testing at autozone as I agree with the above poster, a dying alternator can cause all sorts of issues. Then on to the AC
You have ground issues.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #10
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

the gauges dying, spiking, dying again with the airbag light happens to me on hot days only as well. i dont have AC. like was said before, your squealing belt problem could be a sticky pulley or the like. i think, you should tighten your belt. the heat will stretch it out and it will squeal if its not tight enough.

after i did my AX15 swap, my airbag light is on all the time. it used to come and go with the gauges. i would like to resolve our issues.
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygruven View Post
ever figure this one out?
havent yet, but like the last two posts mentioned, thats been my plan of attack, but i have been out of town for the last week.

I need to pull that panel off and see whats grounding behind that screw (probably on the metal sheeting or something behind there.

The belt I believe just needs tightening to kill the squeaking. Also going to clean the gauge cluster connectors just because I never have and I bought my jeep with dirt dust everywhere you can imagine.
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
cadeucsb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the funny thing is, my jeep has really odd problems at both temp extremes...this issue when it gets to almost 100 and when its under 30 in the winter, it wont idle by itself without me keeping it alive with the accelerator...untils it warms up and I restart it, then all is well.

Tags
electrical , electric , issue , problem , not working , failing , hot , temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.