electrical issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > electrical issues

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
frog4gators
1998 TJ Wrangler 

electrical issues

First post...

I've been having some crazy electrical issues with my 98 Wrangler (4 cyl). Not sure if they are all connected or if the sky is falling.

1) Headlights will only turn on after the Jeep has warmed up. Parking lights will turn on but lamps won't. Also the interior light will turn if I twist the pull.

2) Some times all the gauges will "die". If I slap the dash they will turn back on.

3) My wife says that sometimes the wipers won't turn on. I have never experienced that problem.

4) The radio is on and I can change the channels, turn volume up, etc but no sound is coming out of the speakers. I checked the overhead speakers and the connection seems to be fine. I took the radio out and everything looked ok.

I just put a brand new alternator in it and it still hasn't fixed any of the problems.

Any and all help are appreciated

frog4gators is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
frog4gators
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Update -

Radio issue has been resolved.

Still having issues with the headlights!

Anyone?
frog4gators is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
2003RubiBlue
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would find the dash ground and inspect it. I had many of the same problems and many more and all it was was the dash ground under the dash down by my knees was a little rusty dirty. Once cleaned all of my lights worked and my gauges stopped acting crazy, etc. Give it a check its usually under the knee protector areas of the dash. Good Luck,
Brian
"That's awesome advice. Anytime I have a difficult repair, I fix something else that's much easier to get to. This one time, there was a hole in the oil pan so I replaced the side mirror on the driver's door."
Wanted: Tuffy rear underseat drawer. PM me if you have one.
2003RubiBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

1) Does jiggling the switch help any with the headlight issue? How do the headlight grounds look in the engine bay? Have you checked to see if you're getting power to the headlight sockets?

2) It's a known common problem caused by a poor connection at the instrument cluster. Pull the dash trim at the base of the windshield and the surround from around the cluster, pull the cluster itself, disconnect the electrical plugs then slightly twist each of the contact pins in the cluster so they'll make better contact when you reconnect the plugs.
mukluk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dash board problem , head light , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.