electrical issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > electrical issue

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
erzwire

electrical issue

i have a 01 wrangler and just put new driving lights up front, piaa 510. i spliced the switch to the relay to the switched power wire i found behind my glovebox and everything works but when i turn the lights off they give my stereo an error and pause it. what do i do about this? i thought about using the unswitched or going straight to my battery but the button to turn the lights on/off has an led that would always glow, i wouldnt be worried about this draining my battery but its not a daily driver, i may go a week or two without driving it, is this still safe and would stop my stereo from getting an error? thanks in advance

erzwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I know very little about stereo systems, but as no one else has answered you, I will give it a go. Do you think that when you turn the lights on it momentarilly causes an abrupt drop in voltage and thus the fault light?
Unread 01-16-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Use a different source. Rewire the lights to a different switch if needed. But I don't understand why the LED would be on when the power is off...

I assume it is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
erzwire

yea thats the switch for it, and yea my head unit gives an error message which i identified that it means a power surge, either a raise in voltage from the quick turn off and the batteries still putting out power or a drop that i cant explain. i tried the unswitched lead, which kept the led on, just like you can turn your lights on without the key,unless you mean that the light indicates the lights are on.. red led means on and green is on when the lights are off, its not like normal lighted rocker switches, but it still surged my radio. the surge only occurs when im using my ipod through the stereo not the tuner or cds,
erzwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #5
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, replace the stupid switch with a normal rocker. I hate those things. First thing I did when I bought a Hella harness for my step-dads YJ was cut off that switch and install a rocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.