Electrical Gurus... HELP! Stalling out in reverse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electrical Gurus... HELP! Stalling out in reverse

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 07-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
kb1kzd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Electrical Gurus... HELP! Stalling out in reverse

97 Jeep 4cyl 5spd stalls in reverse. It basically cuts off the spark when you put it in reverse and release the clutch. It only does it in 2wd. So when i have to back up i basically have to put it in 4wd, back up, put it in 2, then leave.

Any ideas of where to look

kb1kzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

WTF. I'm totally stumped.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've had to troubleshoot a lot of very complex electrical/electronic circuits in the past but knowing the TJ's circuitry in that area fairly well, freeskier93's "stumped" word is a pretty good choice of words for me too.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
kb1kzd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah. I'm very confused. I just don't get why it would be fine everywhere but 2wd. I mean 4lo occasionally sputters but not much. I just backed up and went forward multiple tiems in teh driveway. it kills itself backing up in 2wd but not in 4hi...
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
RogerH
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My bet is theres a short in the cluster assembly somewhere and its getting to the keyswitch killing signal to the computer from the keyswitch being in the on position, and when you put it in 4 hi and it changes something in the dash for the little indicator light for which gear your transfer case is in allowing it to continue running, but the only thing that would be sending a signal off of the transmission is the reverse switch. Try unplugging it maybe.
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

The only electrical system effected by reverse is the reverse light switch, but how the heck could that be wired into anything that can kill the engine? Maybe you have a short or something? Like rogerh said, try unplugging the reverse light switch.

Maybe something in the T-case? Try unplugging everything electrical from the t-case and tranny. It has to be something on one of those two.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
kb1kzd
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll try it. I find it odd that i can put it in reverse in 2wd, and hold the clutch all day long. But as soon as i let the clutch out it sputters and dies. Sometimes i can be very gentle and it will idle out but if i put any amount of fuel to it or load it cuts it out immediatly.
Unread 07-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #8
RogerH
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Could possibly be the clutch safety switch as well shorting out through something you could try jumping across that or pulling the fuse for it like some do for the "key crawl" trick, i want to say its fuse 20 but im probably off as mines got a 32rh in it.
RogerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check your crank pos sensor for security and connection, also check your cam pos sensor. Then on to every other connection wire...etc
wushaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
bruteboy

possible engine mount problem.
when backing up,the engine may torque over enough to break a connection in the wiring harness or cause something to ground out.
wiggle or tug on all wiring harnesses with the engine running,if engine stalls,look for loose connections or bare
wires.
bruteboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5L , 2.5 liter , stalls , reverse , no spark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.