Electric problems 1999 wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric problems 1999 wrangler

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 12-06-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
stallion81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Electric problems 1999 wrangler

Hello all. I'm new to the board, but have owned jeeps for almost 20 years. I'm no electrician. My 99 Wrangler has had instrument panel problems for a while. Now I have blower motor problems. Took it in while under used car upgraded warranty for the instrument problems. Techs could not "duplicate" the problem. Various dash instruments would come and go. Can hit glove box(or a big bump in the road) and get them to come on. Now the heater blower is totally gone, used to work on high only. Well the motor is good(straight power test) and I changed the $40 resistor. Still nothing. Before I change the blower switch, I need to know where the 2 instrument panel grounds are located? I'm hoping this will solve both issues. Thanks for any help.

stallion81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
bmlawless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know it's common for people to give the pins on the back of the instrument cluster a slight bend to make a better contact. That might explain the gauge problems, especially if you are able to hit the dash and fix it.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
"TJ" really stands for "TEAL JEEP!"
I'll think of a better signature when my ADHD medication starts wor.....hey look, a penny!
bmlawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlawless View Post
I know it's common for people to give the pins on the back of the instrument cluster a slight bend to make a better contact. That might explain the gauge problems, especially if you are able to hit the dash and fix it.
x2 This is a well documented problem in the earlier TJs.

As for the blower, start by checking F11 in the under the hood and F8 behind the glove box. F11 supplies power to the blower when on HI and F8 supplies power for the lower speeds AND the +12V that kicks on the blower relay for the high speed position.

Do you have a test light or a multimeter?
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
stallion81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

As for the pins, I'm not as deep into the dash as the cluster(speedo/tack/gas/temp/batt/serv eng/airbag), but the rest is opened up. All clusters contents are affected, but sometimes not all at once.Sometimes its all of mechanical or most, others the warning lights kick on also(airbag/serv eng). Not sure about the hitting thing, as I smack the "dash" just to the left of the glovebox over on the passenger side(but this works 95% of time). Are you talking about bending tabs on an inline connection? or would it be a connection per instrument, as in the 3 controls for my heat?
All fuses are checked. Even replaced small fuses in heater line just in case. Didn't have replacements for under hood fuses, but visually checked good.
I found 2 grounds, 1 on each side of body, which I beleive are instrument grounds, and both feel fine. Forgot to mention, the blower never works when I hit the dash, only the guages. Just not making sense to me ?
I do have a testor, I beleive. Its a light you hook to ground and poke live wires with? to see if there is juice?
Unread 12-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are two big connectors behind the instrument cluster that provide all of the signals for the instruments, lights, and odometer. Give each male pin a gentle tweak with a pair of needle-nose pliers so they are just a bit flatter which will make them wider at two points to give a slightly more reliable electrical connection. That's the usual fix for intermittent gauges. I did that to my connectors 10-11 years ago when the gauges were intermittent and it's been fine ever since.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
bmlawless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a write-up with photos that will give you the details. In my opinion, your dash issue and your heater issue are unrelated.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fix-your-tjs-dead-gauges-write-up-179282-post1339049/

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
I'll think of a better signature when my ADHD medication starts wor.....hey look, a penny!
Unread 12-07-2008, 03:48 AM   #7
tooofast
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have the shop manual with all the electrical in PDF, PM if you want a copy.

Thanks

Dave
tooofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
stallion81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the link to the instrument cluster. I'll try that today.I also beleive the heater and cluster problems are unrelated. Guess its time to order a heater blower motor switch, as thats the last thing besides wiring, that it can be.
Unread 12-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Since your fan is not working at all:
1. Check the blower motor relay.

Assuming yours is the same as my '98, I would slide out the HVAC control and unplug Connector C1 (5 pin connector) that is hooked up here:

2. Check for 12V supply from connector C3 to connector C1 - dark green wire. It will only have power with the key on and the HVAC selector in any position other than off.

Then, after studying the diagram below (and with the key on, Connector 1 disconnected), use a jumper wire to:
3. Connect Terminal E (dark green) to Terminal A (brown/tan) in the connector, the fan should run on high.
4. Connect Terminal E (dark green) to Terminal B (light blue) in the connector, the fan should run 3/4 speed
5. Connect Terminal E (dark green) to Terminal C (light green/light blue) in the connector, the fan should run 1/2 speed
6. Connect Terminal E (dark green) to Terminal D (tan) in the connector, the fan should run 1/4 speed

If the fan runs as it should when connecting each of the terminals in Connector 1, the fan, resistor wiring and resistors are working correctly. Notice that the blower motor resistor is actually comprised of 3 resistors. If resistor #1 is open, none of the lower speeds will work as all the resisistors are run in series.

The resistor is under this cover on the passenger side. Remove 3 screws and loosen a fourth (it is slotted).

And the ressitor Chrysler P/N 4734998

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dragginwagon406; 02-17-2009 at 06:08 PM..
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Bill C
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
There are two big connectors behind the instrument cluster that provide all of the signals for the instruments, lights, and odometer. Give each male pin a gentle tweak with a pair of needle-nose pliers so they are just a bit flatter which will make them wider at two points to give a slightly more reliable electrical connection. That's the usual fix for intermittent gauges. I did that to my connectors 10-11 years ago when the gauges were intermittent and it's been fine ever since.
I had the same problems with my instruments.........What I didn't do at first (and should have) was to pull the sockets from the dash and plug them into the cluster with it out. That allowed me to wiggle the wires and find the problem.

Here is my write-up: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/98-tj-instrument-cluster-problem-solved-595954/

Last edited by Bill C; 12-07-2008 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: notification change
Bill C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #11
dragginwagon406
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This thread was useful to me in the fact I finally ran down my bad resistor.

How did you make out?
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
stallion81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Its been a good thread for me also. You actually helped me solve my heater problem, dragginwagon. My heater controls are the round knob style, hence a little different then yours. But the culprit was the C3 plug, electrical next to the vaccuums. It is a bit melted. Not sure if I can rig it to work, or need to go to 3 straight connectors, but the fan works now. Wish I would have seen it before replacing the resistor and the switch($65 worth of parts). Well I guess its time to do the dash cluster, and get the plug for C3 right. New top comes in tomorrow(damn vandalizing kids), and I should be alot warmer then last winter. Thanks all for your help, looks like I'll be sticking around this forum.
Unread 12-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
bmlawless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The dash cluster should take you less than 30 minutes including the time it takes to get tools together.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)
Unread 12-08-2008, 03:16 PM   #14
stallion81
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dash cluster was about a 15 min job, and is in working order now =). Only problem being is the miles are gonna register now . I used a few pieces of electrical connectors, cut to fit, to tighten the connections on the C3 plug and shes good to go. Now just to worry about WHY it melted???? Heat and readable guages, and a new top. WOW gonna be in heaven this winter. Last winter was like I was back in my CJ-7's again. Scraper and sqweege(sp?) and towels . Guess these TJ's arent TOO different then the CJ's to work on. Thanks peeps, Jeeps/HD's forever.
Unread 12-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
bmlawless
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion81 View Post
Dash cluster was about a 15 min job, and is in working order now =). Only problem being is the miles are gonna register now
I first thought that your odometer wouldn't work. What you're saying is that it wasn't working before and now it will, right?

The crappy thing about TJ's is that the mileage is stored in the dash which makes it easy to fake mileage. You can get a new cluster on eBay showing 90k miles when the vehicle really has 130k.

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.