Electric Fan Conversion and HP Gains... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Conversion and HP Gains...

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 12-11-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
loudog3114

Electric Fan Conversion and HP Gains...

Has anyone converted to an electric fan and gained noticable horse power? Also, when you did the conversion, how did you then route the belt if it was an I6?

loudog3114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It won't be noticeable since the alternator then has to work harder to produce the electricity that the new electric fan draws... and the more drain on an alternator, the harder it is to turn. In other words, there is no free lunch where energy production is concerned.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog3114
Also, when you did the conversion, how did you then route the belt if it was an I6?
Couldn't you just put the nuts back on the pulley and run it like that? Here is a photo of a '99 TJ with the fan removed. I've not tried it myself but it seems likely it would work.

Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2005, 11:21 PM   #4
FifteenCents
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I agree that the reason is not to gain horsepower. horsepower is not what jeepers are conserned about...TORQUE is the key, and an electirc fan will not help there. BUT it will help in deep water as you can turn it off so it won't munch your radiator with the water causes the fan to pull forward and chew up your radiator.

The pulley is held on by four studs that are run into the water pump and the fan is held on to them by nuts...just back out the studs and put in shorter bolts in their place....

SO...to recap..if you do not have a snorkel don't waste your time or money on an electric fan you will have to upgrade your electrical system.
New Bigger Alternator $$$$
Electric Fan $$$$$$

http://www.tjhardcore.com
The ultimate TJ owners only forum
FifteenCents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
jbrnigan

Jerry's response is accurate as far as it goes. Yes it will take additional horses to turn the alternator when the electric fan is running, but you will achieve a noticeable gain when the fan is static, which should be most of the time that the Jeep is moving - street time. Slow off road and stop and go will cost you horses. Many electric fans can be pre set to turn on from between 180 and 200 coolant degrees measured at either at the upper radiator hose or via a probe in the readitor near the upper hose connection. They can also be manually cycled.
jbrnigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
o2tj

2001 XJ Cherokee 

lol! you guys need to try a ford two speed and tell me you have no gain in power. also you have no rotating mass....have you guys felt how heavy a fan and clutch are. you will also have longer w/p life. my fan stays off most of the time even in the summer it only comes on for about 3-4 min wile sitting in traffic. off road it cycles but most of the time Im in low anyway and the rpm are up. You should have a mean green alt anyway if you plan on a winch w/ lights and stero....you cant tell me you dont have that stuff .................................................. .....OH! just to let you know my fan on high only draws 21 amps and low is a low 9 amps wich I use on the street.
o2tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
TenaciousTJ

Are you running the Taurus, spelling is probably all messed up, dual fans? If so, pics would be excellent and much appreciated. Do you think they would work in an '05?
2005 Black 'Con. The goods:37"SSR's-15x10 M/T's-RE LA 5.5"w/ 7.5"springs-JKS 1.25"BL-M.O.R.E. 1"MML-Alloy 5.13 gears-PSC HD steering-PSC rockrings F/R-PSC rockers w/ slider bars-OMF rock domes-Pro Fit VSM-Hanson 52" rubicon bumper-JKS BPE's-Power windows-Husky liners-Alloy tube seals-AEM intake-Poweraid TBS-Banks header and cat back w/ monster muffler-empty pockets.
-OlllllllO- Life is Good
TenaciousTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
jeeptj19992001

the belt would stay the same, you still need your water pump...or am i missing something?
Unread 12-12-2005, 03:59 PM   #9
o2tj

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ill take som pics tomorrow and post them........as long as its not iceing tomorrow. an 05 ......Oh yeah! easy
o2tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #10
Hunter9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeptj19992001
the belt would stay the same, you still need your water pump...or am i missing something?
A water pump by itself does not take much energy to run, but o2tj is right the rotating mass is there, like the difference between a axle turning with and w/o a wheel and tire attached.
On the other hand Jerry is correct the amount of usable HP and/or torque is in such a small amount it is probably not worth the extra $$$ to do it, unless you are trying to gain the ability to turn off the fan.
RE 3.5 SF, 1" BL, 1" MML, 285/75/16 (33") MTRs, 16x8 MT Classic Locks, 4.10 gears, Lockrite Front, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, Warn Diff Skids, Rock-it Man Rockers, Jeeperman Front Hoop, M8000, A to Z winch mount, Hella 500s, H4 Conversion

[COLOR="Red"]Former 3.07 Gears Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR]
Hunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 05:41 PM   #11
loudog3114

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2tj
Ill take som pics tomorrow and post them........as long as its not iceing tomorrow. an 05 ......Oh yeah! easy
are you guys referring to using a ford taurus electric fan? if so is there a write up somewhere?
loudog3114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #12
Steve B
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter9
A water pump by itself does not take much energy to run, but o2tj is right the rotating mass is there, like the difference between a axle turning with and w/o a wheel and tire attached.
On the other hand Jerry is correct the amount of usable HP and/or torque is in such a small amount it is probably not worth the extra $$$ to do it, unless you are trying to gain the ability to turn off the fan.
A water pump does take a lot of energy to run, I work for a reputable engine tuner in the uk and on a 2.0litre 4cylinder petrol making the water pump pulley larger and slowing the pump down gained 15bhp......
Unread 12-12-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
Tj4rocks
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have converted mine to electric fan about 3 years ago. As far as the water pump, i just took off the fan and put the nuts back on. As far as a power increase, i could tell a difference cruising down the highway because the electric isn't pushing around air it doesn't need to. I am happy overall that i did this mod to the jeep. I'm using the flex-a-lite black magic fan. I haven't noticed any problems with the charging system and don't see any reason for a bigger alternator. Just my 2 cents.
Tj4rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2005, 07:31 PM   #14
drottie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm also running a Flex-a-lite Electric. I didn't notice any huge HP/torque/ whatever gains. I did notice that you can dial in the cooling, IE warmer in winter, cooler in summer if that's a biggie for you. I also noticed this thing is LOUD. Kinda weird I wired mine direct (no I haven't had any problems with it running the battery down) and it'll cycle on and off a couple of times after the jeep's been turned off. I did have my Jeep start running hot on a trailride this summer, but we were pounding on them pretty hard and there were jeeps with mechanical fans that were also running hot on the same runs. In retrospect I could have spent the money elsewhere..... my.02
Unread 12-12-2005, 09:56 PM   #15
StealthTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drottie
I'm also running a Flex-a-lite Electric. I didn't notice any huge HP/torque/ whatever gains. I did notice that you can dial in the cooling, IE warmer in winter, cooler in summer if that's a biggie for you.
<SNIP>
The fan should make no difference at all since you're running up against the thermostat anyway.

Fred
[b]Misc[/b] - Tera 2wd lo.
[b]Tires[/b] - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
[b]Recovery[/b] - Warn XD9000i
StealthTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.