Electric Fan Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric Fan Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Electric Fan Conversion

For those of you running electric fans on your TJ's, what kind if setup do you have?

I was thinking just a universal fan and temp probe but are there better solutions that aren't a fortune?

Showjyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If that's the setup you are going to use, don't even bother. I have a Volvo fan with a delta current controls controller on mine and it works great, but that controller is not cheap.
willis36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showjyr View Post
For those of you running electric fans on your TJ's, what kind if setup do you have?

I was thinking just a universal fan and temp probe but are there better solutions that aren't a fortune?
Keep the OEM fan cooling setup... IMO
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:52 PM   #4
speed-racer
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Stick with the OEM or spend the money on a nice setup.
speed-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Why, it's not going to cool any better than stock.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I put a Ford Taurus fan in my last Jeep (03 Rubicon).
I picked up a junkyard fan and shroud which turned out it had a bad motor. I bought a new motor for the JY shroud, picked up a nice controller with a temp sensor that I installed in the thermostat housing after drilling and tapping for the proper pipe thread.
I probably had the parts for 6 months before finally installing them and was pretty excited about the perceived better cooling along with increased power and mileage increase.

I remember I completed the install on a Monday evening and the following Thursday ripped it all out and went back to stock.
Complete waste of time and money.
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
I put a Ford Taurus fan in my last Jeep (03 Rubicon).
I picked up a junkyard fan and shroud which turned out it had a bad motor. I bought a new motor for the JY shroud, picked up a nice controller with a temp sensor that I installed in the thermostat housing after drilling and tapping for the proper pipe thread.
I probably had the parts for 6 months before finally installing them and was pretty excited about the perceived better cooling along with increased power and mileage increase.

I remember I completed the install on a Monday evening and the following Thursday ripped it all out and went back to stock.
Complete waste of time and money.
What was it you didn't like about it? Ive been running one for almost ten years now with no problems.
willis36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

One reason I have read about for installing an electric fan that makes sense is for use in combination with a snorkel.

The electric fan can be shut off when making a deep water crossing whereas the stock belt driven one cannot.

So, got snorkel?
Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:51 AM   #9
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's wet up here and we get into a lot of deeper water, mud, and occasional beaver dam. I want the option to shut it off.

I'm not that worried about it cooling better...I'm in Vermont and it's rare we see temps above 90.

I'm also doing away with my AC compressor...I'd like to free up as much power and do away with anything mechanical constantly running.
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #10
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's wet up here and we get into a lot of deeper water, mud, and occasional beaver dam. I want the option to shut it off.

I'm not that worried about it cooling better...I'm in Vermont and it's rare we see temps above 90. I'm also doing away with my AC compressor...I'd like to free up as much power and do away with anything mechanical constantly running.
I wish it were that way here. Water crossings are the only reason to go electric. So, I wish you luck.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Showjyr

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen a few people do the conversion using the fans from a cherokee and a temp probe.

Any insight on going that route?
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #12
bnine
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've run electric for a lot years because I have no choice. My diff hits the bladed fan at full bump, so I had to install an electric to make room.

If I could, I would go back to mechanical all day long. Keeping simple and low maintenance.
bnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've got the Novak Radlock with shrouded fan. Wired it in with a 3 way switch. I can manually activate it, let the PCM control it or kill it in heavy miss/water.
Punisher8738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
rgvjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

what pcm is controlling the e-fan? your jeep pcm?

to the OP. i have a american eagle radiator with a flex a lite fan with a simple probe and a manual cutoff switch, above 40, its always switched off. this june will be a year with it, no problems.
rgvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
Punisher8738
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No, I've got a 6.0 LS in mine now.
Punisher8738 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.