Electric brake controller - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Electric brake controller

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Nosehair
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Electric brake controller

I pull a couple small trailers with electric brakes behind my '06 Rubi and want to install a brake controller. Anybody have any recommendations to brands? It has been recommended that I get a heavy duty controller but I'm not pulling that much weight - go heavy duty anyway?

Thanks

Nosehair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosehair View Post
I pull a couple small trailers with electric brakes behind my '06 Rubi and want to install a brake controller. Anybody have any recommendations to brands? It has been recommended that I get a heavy duty controller but I'm not pulling that much weight - go heavy duty anyway?

Thanks
How heavy are the trailers?
Unread 04-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
Nosehair
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Trailer weight

Normally probably 1000 lb or less. Always less than 2000 lb.
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
rays00tj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Control. It is the nicest controller I have used over the years, made me sorry for the money I wasted on cheaper controllers.
rays00tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rays00tj View Post
I highly recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Control. It is the nicest controller I have used over the years, made me sorry for the money I wasted on cheaper controllers.
+1 on that.

My family has several trucks that we use for towing, and we have the Prodigy in each of them. From our largest rig (17,000 lb tripple-axle with brakes on all 3 axles) to our smallest (1,500 lbs, brakes only on 1 axle), the Prodigy is easily adjustable and works great in every scenario.
Unread 04-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
MayRoll
2003 TJ Wrangler 

X3 on the Prodigy.
MayRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure that it was a prodigy, but Tekonsha is the brand of the controllers we had on the work trucks at my last job. Never had one skip a beat, towing 6ton tag-alongs all-day. I would get the prodigy too if its there latest and greatest these were older models I speak off.
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
05TurboS2K
2004 TJ Wrangler 

<1000lbs I woudln't worry that much honestly....

I tow 1300-1500lbs and it's really really light and easy even with horrible gearing. The stock brakes down incredibly steep long hills are fine. I'm talking the steepest paved roads I've driven on down a mountain for miles.... no probs.

Get some half decent brake pads and you're all set imo.

Though the unit people are discussing here is great, I'm not so sure it's a NEED.
05TurboS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Prodigy is a good controller.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K View Post
<1000lbs I woudln't worry that much honestly...

At 1000 lbs, I wouldn't worry too much about trailer brakes. And I wouldn't tow much more than that behind a TJ - with that short of a wheelbase, I'd consider it less than ideal - risk of the tail wagging the dog.

Don't know how accurate this is, but read on one of the forums that a TJ is rated to tow 2000 lbs; and the LJ is rated at 3500 lbs because of the longer wheelbase.

That being said, it would depend on the trailer setup (IMHO) - weight balance, stability, etc... For example, I have towed a 7,000 lb boat, and a 7,000 lb cargo trailer behind the same full size truck, and the boat was far more stable than the cargo trailer. This was because of the way the weight was distributed and the position of the axles (closer to the center on the cargo trailer vs. at the rear of the boat trailer). Additionally, the cargo trailer was affected much more by wind than the boat was.
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayRoll View Post
X3 on the Prodigy.
x4, and 5 and 6. Or at least I've run that many of the Prodigy in my tow rigs over the years and currently have 2 of them.

Their customer service is unbeatable. I had a small problem, sent the unit in and got a new one shortly thereafter. The spare I was running while the other was sent away, decided to quarrel with my knee when I hopped in the truck one day and it came away missing a few important bits like the manual apply lever.

Contacted Cequent to send that one in for repair, very willing to pay for it, and a new one showed up before I got the RMA number and free shipping label printed out.

So, in the very rare event that you do need service, they fully rule.
Unread 04-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #12
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
x4, and 5 and 6. Or at least I've run that many of the Prodigy in my tow rigs over the years and currently have 2 of them.

So, in the very rare event that you do need service, they fully rule.
X-well a whole crapload more. I another job long ago, I sold and installed MANY tekonsha brake controllers. The prodigy is an excellent unit from them as well. We have 2 currently in ranch trucks and I have one in the shop waiting to go in the Jeep now. Tekonsha makes a great controller and have several to choose from but the Prodigy would be about the most friendly/nicest for the Jeep with what you'll be doing. E-trailer has the best deal I've found for it so I'd look there first. I've had GREAT experience with many purchases from them in the past and continue to do business with them now. Tough to beat their prices and service.

As to the whole towing with a TJ thing-I tow with an LJ Rubi with Vanco brakes. My Vanco setup has "panic stopped" my 5x10 loaded with elk hunting gear and my '00 AC 500 auto that ended up snapping the rear strap on the four wheeler, sending it forward and shoving the snatch block through the delta tool box on the front of the trailer. Even still, I built my current off-road trailer build with electric brakes and as soon as this one is finished, I'll be tearing my 5x10 down and rebuilding it WITH brakes as well. It's a Jeep. I've never seen a factory one with decent brakes off the dealer lot and certainly not one with factory brakes that I'd trust with a trailer in tow-street or off road. Wise move adding the controller. The prodigy won't let you down.

edit-I guess I should note that when I sold them, I also handled a few others as well. I never had any dealings with customer service for warranty repair type work that Blaine mentioned above-so I'm glad to see it. The stuff I did deal with was trivial issues that don't amount to anything with regards to the controller itself of functioning there of. I DID however deal with the other companies a fair amount. Bottom line-Tekonsha was my "standard" by which the others were judged, and still is today even though I'm out of that loop. Kind of like Warn winches-stick with what works. Excellent customers service to back them up in the rare event you need it.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Nosehair
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for everybody's input - I've got a Prodigy on order.
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #14
MPond
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55willystruck View Post
...As to the whole towing with a TJ thing-I tow with an LJ Rubi with Vanco brakes. My Vanco setup has "panic stopped" my 5x10 loaded with elk hunting gear and my '00 AC 500 auto that ended up snapping the rear strap on the four wheeler, sending it forward and shoving the snatch block through the delta tool box on the front of the trailer...
Any idea what the total weight of the trailer / gear was during that panic stop? I expressed my concerns about towing with a TJ / LJ previously, but I always try to keep an open mind. Sounds like you've got a handle on towing with your LJ, so I'm curious how much weight we're talking about.

Thanks.
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good thread as I recently bought the Mopar 7-way harness for an LJ as I intend to tow a trailer for camping gear. Personally I want trailer brakes, especially for towing around the Rockies.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.