EGR valve on TJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > EGR valve on TJ?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-01-2004, 07:14 AM   #1
cygnus3978

EGR valve on TJ?

I had a friend fail inspection on her car(95 camaro), specifically the NO part and the shops replaced the EGR valve(Exhaust Gas Recirculation).
I had never heard of this before so I researched it and found that it acutally takes exhaust gasses and re-inserts them into the cylinders to lower the burning temperature and help the NO pass through the system unburned and prevent it from picking up other atoms and becoming smog...basically.
The science I have may be a little off, but the principle is the same.

Well I got to thinking about where the TJ EGR valve is....and I CAN'T find it on my jeep or in the FSM for that matter as well.

DO TJ's have an EGR valve? If so where...and if not, what do we use in place of the EGR.

Unread 07-01-2004, 07:32 AM   #2
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't think it does.

I had one on my F-150, which was problematic because it sent so much gunk into the intake manifold, but can't find it on the 4.0L or in the manual. Either we don't need it or DC decided to allow the cats to do their job and clog sooner.
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2004, 07:58 AM   #3
cygnus3978

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno
I don't think it does.

I had one on my F-150, which was problematic because it sent so much gunk into the intake manifold, but can't find it on the 4.0L or in the manual. Either we don't need it or DC decided to allow the cats to do their job and clog sooner.
Well Cat converters only take care of hydro carbons, not the Nitric Oxide. Unless DC found a way to lower combustion chamber temps without an EGR valve the Cat would do nothing with this process.
Unread 07-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #4
AjRagno
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus3978
Well Cat converters only take care of hydro carbons, not the Nitric Oxide. Unless DC found a way to lower combustion chamber temps without an EGR valve the Cat would do nothing with this process.
My point is that all of the carbon build up I found in the intake manifold of my F-150's engine needs to go somewhere if the EGR is not redirecting this back into the engine. If these gases do not go through an EGR system, then they are definitely going into the cats and collecting there.
AjRagno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
Pakrjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus3978

That's not totally right--the catalytic converter, if it is a 3 way cat, it absolutely helps eliminate NOx. In fact, the TWC is the most efficient method for getting rid of NOx emissions. If the test failed on NOx, then it can ONLY be the Cat converter or the EGR. No other emissions systems on a vehicle really help with NOx other than those two.

[COLOR=blue]Air Force Jeep Club Member # 2[/COLOR]

Last edited by Pakrjeep; 07-01-2004 at 12:16 PM..
Pakrjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.