The effect of steering stabilizer on death wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The effect of steering stabilizer on death wobble

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
vettefever5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The effect of steering stabilizer on death wobble

So here's my death wobble story and my question.

I finally got my 2.5" suspension installed over the weekend. I didn't have time after I finished to align the front tires so I figured I'd just drive to/from work and do it when I got home. Well, on the way to work I hit a bump around 40mph and I got a slight shimmy in the steering wheel... nothing like I had felt before. I had a feeling it was DW, even though it went away quickly (I was already slowing down). On the way home I made a point to drive down a long straight road with a 55mph speed limit that I know is very bumpy. If I could make it down there without problems I figured I'd be good. As soon as I hit the first bump (around 45mph) DW hit, and it scared the @#$@& out of me, even though I was expecting it. I quickly pulled over, caught my breath, and drove home slowly.

I checked all the stuff in the steering... I tightened the track bar at the axle (even though it was already very tight) and noticed the tie rod at the pitman arm had a rip in the boot. I was going to bring it in for an alignment anyway so I figured I'd replace that at the same time. I measured the toe in of the front tires and I was about 1" closer in the front, which I know is WAYY off. I know I can do the alignment myself, but after feeling the effect of DW I'd rather have a shop do it, then check the measurements against what's recommended on here before I try it myself in the future.

With that said, I know that may or may not get rid of DW, but I need to start with what I know is worn. Even if this does fix it I'm always going to be nervous driving down the highway that something like that might happen again the next time a steering component wears out.

My question is.... if I get a heavy duty steering stabilizer, will that help minimize the effects if/when DW rears its ugly head again? I know it won't eliminate it, but if it would help control the vibrations so that I feel like I can pull over safely and change my pants then it's worth it to me.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Thanks in advance

vettefever5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Shobes
2003 TJ Wrangler 

When I did a 4" lift awhile back my cast was way off which caused the death wobble. Replacing my stock front lower control arms with longer aftermarket versions rid me of my issues. If I had to do it over I would have gotten Rokmen adjustable CAs which I am planning to do soon.

The stabilizer will help bump steer And should be upgraded if you go to a larger then stock tire size but it's not going to cure death wobble.

Just my .02. Good luck!
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
herklord
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ I agree a steering stabilizer is a band aid not a cure. Cures include track bar, tie rod and drag link ends, alignment and a whole host of other causes of which steering stabilizer is not one. Find the problem not the temporary fix
Unread 08-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefever5
So here's my death wobble story and my question.

I finally got my 2.5" suspension installed over the weekend. I didn't have time after I finished to align the front tires so I figured I'd just drive to/from work and do it when I got home. Well, on the way to work I hit a bump around 40mph and I got a slight shimmy in the steering wheel... nothing like I had felt before. I had a feeling it was DW, even though it went away quickly (I was already slowing down). On the way home I made a point to drive down a long straight road with a 55mph speed limit that I know is very bumpy. If I could make it down there without problems I figured I'd be good. As soon as I hit the first bump (around 45mph) DW hit, and it scared the @#$@& out of me, even though I was expecting it. I quickly pulled over, caught my breath, and drove home slowly.

I checked all the stuff in the steering... I tightened the track bar at the axle (even though it was already very tight) and noticed the tie rod at the pitman arm had a rip in the boot. I was going to bring it in for an alignment anyway so I figured I'd replace that at the same time. I measured the toe in of the front tires and I was about 1" closer in the front, which I know is WAYY off. I know I can do the alignment myself, but after feeling the effect of DW I'd rather have a shop do it, then check the measurements against what's recommended on here before I try it myself in the future.

With that said, I know that may or may not get rid of DW, but I need to start with what I know is worn. Even if this does fix it I'm always going to be nervous driving down the highway that something like that might happen again the next time a steering component wears out.

My question is.... if I get a heavy duty steering stabilizer, will that help minimize the effects if/when DW rears its ugly head again? I know it won't eliminate it, but if it would help control the vibrations so that I feel like I can pull over safely and change my pants then it's worth it to me.

Any thoughts/experiences?

Thanks in advance
No. It will not fix anything. Check every front end component. Track bar, ball joints, control arms/bushings, wheel bearings. Everything.
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
vettefever5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies.... but I may have been a little unclear in my question.

I have read lots and lots about how to fix/troubleshoot DW, so I'm not going to raise that question again (yet).

My question is about AFTER I get it fixed (thinking positively). If DW is caused by sloppy or warn steering components, unless I replace EVERYTHING at once, odds are something will eventually wear out next and give me DW again.

So, in the future... if I get everything tight and I have no DW, THEN add a steering stabilizer, IF DW comes back again will the SS dampen the effect of it until I can get it actually fixed again (not relying on the SS as the fix)?

Once I get it fixed and I have no death wobble, I don't want to be surprised by it again in the future like I was this time. If it comes back I want the effect to be not quite as dramatic. I'd hate to be driving around the windy mountain roads in NH only to have DW so bad that I'd be in danger of driving off the edge.
vettefever5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefever5 View Post
Thanks for the replies.... but I may have been a little unclear in my question.

I have read lots and lots about how to fix/troubleshoot DW, so I'm not going to raise that question again (yet).

My question is about AFTER I get it fixed (thinking positively). If DW is caused by sloppy or warn steering components, unless I replace EVERYTHING at once, odds are something will eventually wear out next and give me DW again.

So, in the future... if I get everything tight and I have no DW, THEN add a steering stabilizer, IF DW comes back again will the SS dampen the effect of it until I can get it actually fixed again (not relying on the SS as the fix)?

Once I get it fixed and I have no death wobble, I don't want to be surprised by it again in the future like I was this time. If it comes back I want the effect to be not quite as dramatic. I'd hate to be driving around the windy mountain roads in NH only to have DW so bad that I'd be in danger of driving off the edge.
If you are paying attention you should feel steering shimmy start to develop even with an SS installed long before it gets to the oh crap DW state.
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
YogiBear88
2004 TJ Wrangler 

you may have slung a weight... happened to me. had DW really bad. used to go crazy even on the smallest bumps. go get your tires balanced.
YogiBear88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Of course a new steering stabilizer will help with DW. Chrysler says so!
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
willydigger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If you are paying attention you should feel steering shimmy start to develop even with an SS installed long before it gets to the oh crap DW state.
+1. I think you'll get some warning.

Your alignment was likely your problem if it was 1 inch off.

In my experience, all of my DW's have given be some notice with the exception of my initial installation (no alignment) and my first self alignment (I adjusted a little to far in). Both caused immediate DW.

My other cases typically related to tire balance. With those I've always had some type of indicator.

I've come to the conclusion that there will always be a chance of DW with the Jeep.

A lot of people will say get a steering stabilizer. I've heard it from shop owners and dealers. It will do nothing for you.
Unread 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
RowJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
There is your answer!
Pay attention and solve any minor vibrations and the big one will never show up!
RJ
RowJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiBear88 View Post
you may have slung a weight... happened to me. had DW really bad. used to go crazy even on the smallest bumps. go get your tires balanced.
Out of ballance tires are a DW trigger, but they're not the cause. The cause is something in the front end is worn out and isn't holding the front axle/steering nice and tight like it should be. If all of the front end components are good and tight you could have no wheel weights at all, and a big clump of dried up mud on the inside of each rim, and still not get DW, you'd just have a shakey ride.
9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #12
herklord
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^* I agree in my limited experience the "ovaling" if you will of the track bar mounting holes is the most common cause. As time goes on the bolts holding the track bar slowly wear a bigger hole in the frame or drag link/tie rod. Currie track bar uses oversize bolts requiring drilling which may help in this case
Unread 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
skrap1r0n
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No, it won't. How do I know? I just did it. I replaced all 4 shocks and SS, had tired rotated and balanced. And it is actually worse. I am in the process of checking everything else now.

Save your money till you know what it is. I wish I had, but I didn't come here before buying the shocks.
skrap1r0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Caution that not many tire shops will take the trouble to get tires perfectly balanced. On a TJ, the bigger the tire, the more important perfect tire balance is. My local Discount Tire store is, generally speaking, superb on getting my tires balanced properly the first time. But I have had to go back multiple times in one day at least three times over the years when the tech rushed the job and didn't get them balanced well enough.

In other words, having the tires balanced doesn't necessarily mean they were balanced well enough.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #15
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shobes
When I did a 4" lift awhile back my cast was way off which caused the death wobble. Replacing my stock front lower control arms with longer aftermarket versions rid me of my issues...

The stabilizer will help bump steer And should be upgraded if you go to a larger then stock tire.
I'm a bit late to the party, but chiming in to say that's good feedback on the LCAs. Im also surprised that no one stepped up to mention that bumpsteer is in no way related to or affected by a steering stabilizer or lack thereof.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.