Ected problems! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ected problems!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 07-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
mustangtoby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ected problems!

This is my first thread, so please bare with me. Two and a half, months ago I bought front and rear ected lockers for my 03 tj. They worked great for awhile, then the rear quit working. I wasn't to worried, because I figured it was an electrical problem that would be easily sorted out. This was on memorial day when I realized it had quit. So about two weeks later the front quit working, and I had to tear into them. When I got into the rear, everything appeared to be working like it should, had power, the ring behind the electromagnet would move and stick to the magnet, but the driver side would not lock up.
So, to make a long story short, I called Auburn and told them the problem, and they sent me two new ecteds, with the promise to send them the old ones so they could see what the problem is. Keep in mind that I haven't even tried to trouble shoot the front yet. I'm just wondering, has anyone had any problelms with the ected besides myself? I'm not knocking Auburn- They have bent over backwards to help me out with this ( I'm sure they don't want anyone knocking their new ected all over the forums), but they have been great. I'm just worried about putting the new ones in. I only got about 2000 miles on the origional set, and very few miles there were locked, at least half of the miles were to and from the trail, and I only locked them when the trail got really nasty. I would guess that less than 300 miles were locked. Any one had trouble with this?

mustangtoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangtoby
Two and a half, months ago I bought front and rear ected lockers for my 03 tj... I only locked them when the trail got really nasty. I would guess that less than 300 miles were locked.
Slightly OT, but you drove in the ballpark of 300 miles with your lockers engaged in 2.5 months?

You must do some extreame trails or are using your lockers when not necissary. The ected lockers use clutches meaning they will eventually wear out. You should really only use your lockers when an obstical is not passable with an open diff. I probably have not covered 1 complete mile locked in well over a year, and I get out every chance I can.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
mustangtoby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm just throwing a guess at 300 miles, but no I turn them off when I don't need them. I do turn them on when the trail gets rough because I don't want to break an axle (d35). And I have also taken it very easy, because of the axle. The passenger side gear in the ected only has about 5/8" penatration, and will strip the end of the axle very easily. I found out the hard way.
Unread 11-05-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
mustangtoby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Update: Both lockers quit, talked with Auburn, they sent me two new ones with no questions asked. Installed both, both worked great for awhile, now the front one realy bangs when turning. It is disengaged, you can really tell when it is locked. The steering wheel has a different feel (harder to turn) when it's locked.
Also learned my lesson on the Dana 35 Axle. This thing eats rear axles. Right now I am trying to get 30 spline axles (Auburn sent me 30 spline side gears to put in the ECTED). Hopefully this will cure the problems.
Unread 11-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
mustangtoby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also, these things are a really tight limited slip when not locked. I am gessing this is why the popping when turning. REALLY loud pop, though.
Great traction in the mud or rockcrawling. New set of BFG mtkm's, this thing really goes.
Unread 11-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
Corey4x4man

I have been having the same problems! It took me FOREVER to get Auburn to work with me but finally when they did they only sent me a new solinoid not the entire assembly. No instructions on how to install and no compensation to get it done professionally. What did u have to tell them to get them to send u an entire new one? I would NEVER buy any of thier products again!!!! many people have had the same problems.
Unread 11-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
AlTheKillerr

hmm. i have an Ected in the rear since mid summer and havent had a problem with it yet. although its been awhile since ive used it.
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
gearheadjlm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Are you using additive to the gear oil? If they have clutches I'd imagine that additive would be required. Is there something you are doing when installing them that could be causing it?
Unread 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM   #9
4crnrsco
1999 TJ Wrangler 

"The Auburn gear ECTED design has been extensively tested with high-quality non-synthetic 80W90 hypoid oils treated with Auburn Gear, GM or Ford friction additives (3 oz. of additive will treat 1 quart of oil) To avoid differential clutch chatter (noise) and for optimum performance, use the oil and additive described above. Do not use synthetic oils.

Ford Additive: C8A219B546A
GM Additive: 1052358
Auburn Gear Additive: 504102"

Per the Auburn installation instructions.

The guys at my local shop buy bulk oil with the additive pre-mixed.
3" lift with 33x12.50s
4crnrsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
mustangtoby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Am using the additive that came with the locker in the box from Auburn. This is not clutch chatter, which I can hear in the rear and sometimes in the front. This is a really loud bang, the whole jeep will jump to the side. I am afraid it will break one of the front axles. It only does it when turning really sharp on a high traction surface. I am gessing it is such a tight limited slip when unlocked that the tire has to slip. Doesn't matter if in four wheel or two. manual hubs would be the answer, I gess.
As far as Auburn, I just called and told them my problem, they let me speak to an engineer, and I told him my problem. He sent me both without me question. I'm sure they don't want people badmouthing their product on any of these forums.
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
mustangtoby
2003 TJ Wrangler 

sent you a pm, cory4x4man
Unread 02-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
GARISON
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i just had an auburn ected e-locker put in my rear 8.8 havent even used it yet an in 2wd it makes a terrible popping or banging sound when stopping turning taking off or going in reverse. its not all the time but its enough to be cocerned..any pointers it almost feels like its locked or trying to . the shop put the additive in annd said it needs time to get to the clutches but i feel like its way to hard of a pop the whole jeep jerks. dont wanna damage the new rear .

Last edited by GARISON; 02-04-2012 at 07:47 PM..
GARISON is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.