ECM reflash... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ECM reflash...

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 10-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

ECM reflash...

Does anyone do this for the 4.0s? I know a lot of cars stand to gain a good bit of power and often fuel economy by a few changes to the tune.

The turbo kits that I've seen for the 4.0 seem to come with a gay FMU which isn't the best way to adjust fuel.

I was just checking this forum to see if anyone knows of a good place to get an ECM reflashed.

I do have an XJ, but the TJs are definitely the most popular Jeep to modify that's on the road today. Not to mention, there is a much smaller group of XJ guys who interested in expensive mods.

Let me know,
Thanks,
Jon

Unread 10-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #2
dyna

Ive never heard of reflashing the ecm with a laptop or?. Adding a chip or other goodies then clearing it to allow time to learn new info and adjust to the new equpt.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

This isn't something you can do in your garage. Someone with the right equipment can do it. It's much more common with performance engines (Evo, STI, GM V8s). Tuners just reflash the ECM with new settings, rather than messing around with 100 different add-ons that attempt to trick the ECM.
Unread 10-10-2006, 11:02 PM   #4
dougolupski
It's Heep not Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

There is no need to get a reflash on a TJ. We don't have a mass air sensor so the feflash doesn't work the same for use as it does with other cars and trucks. The only time I have heard of someone mess with there ecu was Jason at Redrock 4x4. He did it for his turbo kit that he had in there. Email or call him if you want more info on it.
KMC XD 795 Hoss Black 17" wheels and Maxxis Bighorn 305/70/17 tires
Every mod in the write up section.

Old Jeep: 04 Wrangler X Yellow Built To The Hilt For Three Great Years.

POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #2
dougolupski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2006, 06:55 AM   #5
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Why would we need a MAF to get gains from more efficient engine settings? Are you saying the 4.0 comes from the factory with the best power and fuel economy possible? That would be pretty amazing, generally speaking, mfgs build a margin for error into the vehicle's settings so that people who don't keep up proper maintenance don't blow up their engines, and to avoid costly warranty repairs.
Unread 10-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

the 4.0 has been around for a decade or so...the factory knows that thing inside and out, its at its peak in 2006, and to close to notice the difference in 97...why do you think the only engine mods not being bashed on this forum are strokers and forced induction. Computers, aftermarkets intakes, TB spacers, those stupid tornado things, and performance exhuasts...they all gain a fraction of what they claim on the 4.0, and to notice a difference you'd have to install all of them. unless you drive on the interstate above 2500RPM, then you might notice more of a difference.

if you change something like tires (a big jump, like 27 - 33+); regear; and for the thick skulled, the before mentioned engine mods...clearing the memory back to its "learning" mode might give improved performance...but reflashing to difference programming seems useless.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #7
cj7guy
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippert
the 4.0 has been around for a decade or so...the factory knows that thing inside and out
They put 3 cats on it by 06, clearly not for peak power/gas mileage.

Quote:
unless you drive on the interstate above 2500RPM, then you might notice more of a difference.
I do that a good bit, but over 2500 far more often when accelerating around town. Why would the power only help on the highway??

Quote:
if you change something like tires (a big jump, like 27 - 33+); regear;
I know the purpose of regearing, it doesn't make the engine any more powerful.

Quote:
...but reflashing to difference programming seems useless.
How do you know? Have you ever reprogrammed an engine computer? Turbo cars often gain 30hp or so from just an ECU reflash, I know that's not reasonable on a 4.0, but let's be honest, the 4.0 was tuned for reliability and consistency, not performance.

There's always room for improvement on a factory tune. I guess Jeep guys prefer bolt-ons though, as they are pretty darn popular, and aftermarket tuning is not popular.

Last edited by cj7guy; 10-11-2006 at 12:23 PM..
cj7guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2006, 10:25 PM   #8
dougolupski
It's Heep not Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Turbo cars are also modifying engine timing off of multiple sensors which largely base them selves on MAF sensor. The 4.0 motor ecu has no way of knowing accurately how much air is getting into the system. The Map sensor gives a base line number to the ecu to adjust timing and fuel but know where near the extent of a MAF. In essence what you are changing with those programing kits is the timing ratio compared to the MAF sensor. Which in most cases the timing is advanced to it's max point then is modified as you are driving by the IAC,MAF, and TPS sensors. You do get incredible increases in vehicles that have a MAF sensors but not in the 4.0. So you could adjust your timing and fuel mix if you knew someone to do it with a computer and the DC ecu program but for a stock motor all you are going to do is increase timing which will more than likely increase cylinder temp which will cause knock on low octane which will make you spend more money on gas.

That's why the only people you see mess with the ECU are the people who run forced induction. It's only because they have to.

Edit: The cat point is mute. It's a federal regulation for it to pass smog. They wouldn't add them if they didn't need to. The correct way to to talk about engine programing is they are set up to maintain the proper stochiometeric air/fuel ratio of 14.7 to 1 to minimize emmissions.
KMC XD 795 Hoss Black 17" wheels and Maxxis Bighorn 305/70/17 tires
Every mod in the write up section.

Old Jeep: 04 Wrangler X Yellow Built To The Hilt For Three Great Years.

POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #2
dougolupski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.