Eaton Elocker vs. OX cable locker - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Eaton Elocker vs. OX cable locker

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #16
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive thought about ARB, but the added space for a compressor(where does it mount exactly?)with room even in my LJ at a premium made me not want to consider that route, nor did I think it would be as reliable a system as a cable or electronically actuated locker. Pics of an installed compressor?

Have there been issues with Eaton's ELocker? The few threads I found on it shows no problems by anyone, and its supposed to be a gear(not clutch)based locker too right?

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #17
ftgiles

OX... Bullet Proof cover, no compressor, simplistic actuation, nothing internal and no cable or shifter if you don't want to.

Air Piston $12
Air switch $8
Electric/Air Solenoid $20
Skid for Air Piston custom

Instead of the air switch (more simplicity) you can use the ARB-type Solenoid to be really creative in mounting options (no airlines need to come inside to the switch).

ftgiles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #18
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I rarely see Ox Lockers
Well... they only made four of them. I have two, BillR has one and I'm not sure where the other one is.
ftgiles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:24 AM   #19
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Noone with pics of an installed compressor?

And anyone with a bad experience or issue with an Eaton E-Locker?

Yeah, thanks for the picture above on the OX setup. I know the kit comes with a nice new pumpkin cover, which will be beneficial for me since its going in the front on the new HP30. How much does the kit cost to convert the OX locker to electronic actuation? If I could use a factory switch(Like the Rubicon's) to actual the front OX locker I may just go that route Link?
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #20
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
Well... they only made four of them. I have two, BillR has one and I'm not sure where the other one is.
I've got a pair of them. A friend of mine has two, and another has two. I guess that makes at least nine confirmed sightings.
Running the cables is the worst part of it but I'd do it again.
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #21
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

no problem with my EATON e-locker. seems people confuse the auburn crap lockers with the eaton offering and just bad mouth them out of habit. eaton has great customer service, if you ever need it, and the e-lockers are reliable. once again, it comes down to set up, a bad set up can destroy an arb or detroit as quickly as an e-locker or ox.

at this point in time i wouldn't recommend doing business with arb due to their heavy handed treatment of dealers. apparently, they're really afraid of the zip locker.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:41 AM   #22
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I installed an Eaton E-Locker in my rear d44 a couple weeks ago and it has worked flawlessly so far on a couple tough trails. The wiring was easy to install and I had a gear guy slap the locker in and check the backlash etc. My research shows that the d30 model is a 4-pin design and is even stronger than the d44 and 8.8 models.
Can't say anything about the long term reliabilty but I'll see. Switch off -it's open - flip the switch on it's a spool.
A lot of people confuse the Eaton with the Auburn. The Auburn gets lots of complaints.
Jim
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #23
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
no problem with my EATON e-locker. seems people confuse the auburn crap lockers with the eaton offering and just bad mouth them out of habit. eaton has great customer service, if you ever need it, and the e-lockers are reliable. once again, it comes down to set up, a bad set up can destroy an arb or detroit as quickly as an e-locker or ox.

at this point in time i wouldn't recommend doing business with arb due to their heavy handed treatment of dealers. apparently, they're really afraid of the zip locker.
Thanks for the post on your experience, curious on the switch, can it be mounted in a factory toggle location(like where the rear wiper switch is for the hardtop towards the bottom center of the dash)......just curious what the "zip" locker is?
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #24
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
I installed an Eaton E-Locker in my rear d44 a couple weeks ago and it has worked flawlessly so far on a couple tough trails. The wiring was easy to install and I had a gear guy slap the locker in and check the backlash etc. My research shows that the d30 model is a 4-pin design and is even stronger than the d44 and 8.8 models.
Can't say anything about the long term reliabilty but I'll see. Switch off -it's open - flip the switch on it's a spool.
A lot of people confuse the Eaton with the Auburn. The Auburn gets lots of complaints.
Jim
Know off hand the warranty on the E locker? And can you explain the 4 pin design? Ill be putting one into an HP30.
Unread 07-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #25
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Thanks for the post on your experience, curious on the switch, can it be mounted in a factory toggle location(like where the rear wiper switch is for the hardtop towards the bottom center of the dash)......just curious what the "zip" locker is?
The Zip locker is Yukon's air locker. Yukon also has the Grizzley which is an auto locker similar to the Detroit.
My E-locker switch is not a direct fit into the space you speak of however is does go partway in and It's a temp spot for mine.
Jim
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:01 AM   #26
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

"My customers have had many issues with Ected units. Most will NEVER recommend one again.
The new Dana 30 ELocker has been getting rave reviews. It is now available for 27 or 30 spline shafts. The Dana 30 is the first ELocker model with 4 pinions. All other models have 2. My rep told me that all testing was done w/ 30 sp alloy shafts and that the ring gear was the failure point. I have yet to see a failure.
The Dana 44 ELocker is a 2 pinion model but it has a collar engagement design instead of the pin style that is used in the 8.8(the 30 has a collar design). The Dana 44 version is good for a 35" tire but that's about it's limit. I've only seen a couple of failures but they were seriously abused. I've seen quite a few failed 8.8" versions as the pin design engagement takes a real beating. The pins slide into a slot and they round the ends over time. Rebuild kits are available but the collar system is much more durable."

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...locker-650161/

Dynatrac
04-08-2011, 09:47 AM
"Unfortunately, every current electric locker available for the Dana 44 has one issue or another. Eaton's Dana 44 ELocker is a weak sister compared to an ARB. It's a 2 pinion design (compared to ARB's 4) and is about 60-70% of ARB's strength. This may be enough for you, but maybe not. My sources at Eaton tell me that they are working on a new 4 pinion design but it is still about a year away. If you were interested in a front Dana 30 ELocker, that is a very good 4 pinion design and a great (if not the best) selectable option"

http://www.jk-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-172511.html

I studied all this before deciding. I took the chance on mine for the d44 but I'll never go bigger than 35's or extreme rock crawling. Look at what Dynatrac has to say about the d30 model. I'll definitely be adding one ..

Jim
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #27
robncar
Lets hear it for Gravity!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42
Ive thought about ARB, but the added space for a compressor(where does it mount exactly)?...
Many folks install the ARB mini compressor on the ABS tray, under the master cylinder, us included.

Sent from DROID2
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #28
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"My customers have had many issues with Ected units. Most will NEVER recommend one again.
The new Dana 30 ELocker has been getting rave reviews. It is now available for 27 or 30 spline shafts. The Dana 30 is the first ELocker model with 4 pinions. All other models have 2. My rep told me that all testing was done w/ 30 sp alloy shafts and that the ring gear was the failure point. I have yet to see a failure.
The Dana 44 ELocker is a 2 pinion model but it has a collar engagement design instead of the pin style that is used in the 8.8(the 30 has a collar design). The Dana 44 version is good for a 35" tire but that's about it's limit. I've only seen a couple of failures but they were seriously abused. I've seen quite a few failed 8.8" versions as the pin design engagement takes a real beating. The pins slide into a slot and they round the ends over time. Rebuild kits are available but the collar system is much more durable."

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...locker-650161/

Dynatrac
04-08-2011, 09:47 AM
"Unfortunately, every current electric locker available for the Dana 44 has one issue or another. Eaton's Dana 44 ELocker is a weak sister compared to an ARB. It's a 2 pinion design (compared to ARB's 4) and is about 60-70% of ARB's strength. This may be enough for you, but maybe not. My sources at Eaton tell me that they are working on a new 4 pinion design but it is still about a year away. If you were interested in a front Dana 30 ELocker, that is a very good 4 pinion design and a great (if not the best) selectable option"

http://www.jk-forum.com/archive/index.php/t-172511.html

I studied all this before deciding. I took the chance on mine for the d44 but I'll never go bigger than 35's or extreme rock crawling. Look at what Dynatrac has to say about the d30 model. I'll definitely be adding one ..

Jim
Thanks Jim, so do you think the Elocker for the HP30 in front will be solid with 35" tires then? Also, since I am building up a bare HP30 housing, should I stick with 27 splines or go with 30 spline count? Cheapest 30 spline axle shafts available?(This Jeep will be considered mostly a DD with light to moderate trail running at best).
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #29
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Thanks Jim, so do you think the Elocker for the HP30 in front will be solid with 35" tires then? Also, since I am building up a bare HP30 housing, should I stick with 27 splines or go with 30 spline count? Cheapest 30 spline axle shafts available?(This Jeep will be considered mostly a DD with light to moderate trail running at best).
I think you'd be fine with the d30 unit and 35's. As far as axle shafts my opinion is to stick with 27 spline alloys because you can get replacements. Your stock shafts ride along as spares. The 30 splines are stronger but where you gonna get one if you do break? I guess it would be a choice.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf

Jim
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #30
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think you'd be fine with the d30 unit and 35's. As far as axle shafts my opinion is to stick with 27 spline alloys because you can get replacements. Your stock shafts ride along as spares. The 30 splines are stronger but where you gonna get one if you do break? I guess it would be a choice.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf

Jim
Jim, on the axle shafts.......when you upgrade to a 30 spline shaft, the inside splines(in pumpkin)are 30 count right? While the outside(at the wheel on the outside of the U joint)are still 27 spline? Just want to make sure I have this correct. The 30 splines supposedly have a slightly bigger diameter too? Is it just the inner shaft thats slightly larger, while the outer shaft is basically stock? 30 spline D30 shafts I assume are basically mail/special order........when you say "where are you gonna get a spare"? I wasnt sure if Dana made stock 30 spline axles for the D30 or if stock 30 spline shafts are available out of another "stock" axle as a direct bolt in..........appreciate helping me out answering questions.

I "think" going with an Elocker up front and a trutrac out back will make for a pretty good "upgraded" occasional trail vehicle(which wont ever be used for rock crawling) while maintaining factory pavement characteristics for rain/snow and towing etc..........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.