Eaton Elocker vs. OX cable locker - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Eaton Elocker vs. OX cable locker

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Eaton Elocker vs. OX cable locker

So these are the 2 lockers I have it down to for my front axle. Curious what the pros/cons are between them. I know the OX is a very rugged setup, but requires a cable to be installed in the cab. The Eaton Elocker I dont know about, but its electronically controlled I gather and needs no air compressor to actuate. Since its electronically controlled I assume the in cab install will be much "cleaner" not needing a big shift mechanism. Maybe people could weigh in between these 2 choices........

GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I know 2 XJ Cherokee owners that installed front and rear e-lockers and had problems with them. The e-lockers have numerous small parts and suffered from early breakage and multiple break downs after warranty returns. Eventually all have been removed and ARB or Detroit auto-lockers were installed. E-lockers are a great idea, but the engineering and product development needs more work.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #3
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I know 2 Cherokee owners that installed front and rear e-lockers and had problems with them. They have numerous small parts and suffered from early breakage and multiple break downs after warranty returns. Eventually all have removed them and installed ARB or Detroit auto-lockers. E-lockers are a great idea, but the engineering and product development needs more work.
Were these specifically Eaton ELockers that were defective?
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
99_TJ_Wyoming
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The Ox locker is a pretty clean install if you keep the selector down by your transmission shifter, the cable comes up by the transmission and through the tub where the shifter is, easy and very clean.
99_TJ_Wyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Strebs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I know 2 XJ Cherokee owners that installed front and rear e-lockers and had problems with them. The e-lockers have numerous small parts and suffered from early breakage and multiple break downs after warranty returns. Eventually all have been removed and ARB or Detroit auto-lockers were installed. E-lockers are a great idea, but the engineering and product development needs more work.
I'm very curious if these were Auburn or Eaton units. I'm strongly considering the Eaton as I've heard great things about it.
Strebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
tacjeep99

I have Eatons front and rear, absolutely no problems. Went with Eatons due do to numerous reports of problems with Auburn ECTED lockers. Decided against ARBs because of potential air line problems and having to purchase a compressor in addition to the lockers.

I think ARB makes good lockers, I just didn't want to have to screw with air lines and compressors.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Almost positive they were Auburn ECTED because they would default to a Limited Slip when they were misbehaving.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LOL, ok, then what bearing does that have with this thread? Im comparing Eaton and OX products here, lol.........
Unread 07-16-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
tacjeep99

I think Ox Lockers are not a bad option. I suppose running and placing the cables from the axles to the passenger compartment is not much different than running electrical wiring to the dash....

I imagine the cost for you will be the deciding factor.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cost is really not an issue, just ease of use, durability/reliability and cab integration from an aesthetic standpoint.
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Complexity increases the possibilities for failure. They are plenty of locker options that have been proven to be durable. I would choose an ARB or OX instead of any e-locker. Being a Machinist doesn't make me an almost Mechanical Engineer, but I do understand what makes mechanical stuff work, and what increases the potential for stuff to break. Buy what you like, I don't actually care that much.

Unread 07-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Properly installed by a competent installer, ARB is the way to go... at least in my opinion. Properly installed, ARB's air lines give no more problems than your fuel or brake lines do. I don't know why some are so afraid of ARB's air lines, our Jeeps are full of various types of lines that give no problem. When you go out to some of the very toughest offroading areas, you will be hearing the sounds of ARB air compressors... the #1 choice right up there with Detroit Lockers. I rarely see Ox Lockers and I see E-Lockers and ECTED lockers even less than Ox Lockers. To me, the OX Locker's cable is the problem since it is so stiff and not easily installed.

ARB's reputation is that of reliability. Its only downfall is if you have Bubba the inexperienced "yup I can install it" type of installer who takes shortcuts and who doesn't have enough or any experience installing ARB lockers.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 11:59 AM   #13
DivineKaos
2000 TJ Wrangler 

In my opinion, I would not go with an E-Locker. OX or ARB is the way to go. I'm leaning towards OX, as I really don't want another compressor, and I like the simplicity of the OX. As long as you properly mount the cables you really are good to go. I like the fact that if a cable broke (akin to a compressor breaking on an ARB), I could manually actuate it with the provided tool. ARB / OX are both plenty strong, and both kick ***, as long as properly installed.
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
BillR
2005 LJ Wrangler 

IMO, OX is the easy choice between the two. They're proven to be beyond durable, and the cable actuation system is used throughout the boating and aircraft world. It just works, and works well. As with any product, proper installation is the key to trouble-free operation.
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
jeffnsocal
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OX now has the option of cable actuated, air actuated or electric actuated. I have the cable actuated on my front axle. I have my lever mounted to the left of my seat on the floor board.It has always worked perfect and I am hard on it. I dont hesitate to engage it under full load we the need arises.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.