Easy question regarding tire size. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Easy question regarding tire size.

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Easy question regarding tire size.

Hey guys,

Well I am back. I'm sure no one knows who I am but I am back in the Jeep world, excited to say. I sold my YJ a little under a year ago and really have been kicking myself for doing it lately.

I decided to sell my Trailblazer SS (bought after the Lightning was totaled) and come back this time I am in a TJ and love it.

Anyway...

The easy question I have is - the previous owner originally had 33s and downsized to 31x10.5x15 tires on the Jeep now. I want to go at least 33x12.5x15 (would prefer to do 35s actually but not 100% sure yet.)

My question is can I run a 12.5" wide tire on my wheels? They are American Racing 767 Black D Window, it's hard to measure the width of the wheel with the tire on it, but I believe they are 9" wide. I have no idea what the backspace is on them.

I think the width of 9" (if this is correct), is plenty of width for a 12.5" tire, just looking for some backup here.

I apologize for another wheel/tire thread. I have tried to do some searching.

LightningFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
tjsooner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

yes plenty wide. I run my 33x12.5x15 on 15x8's. 15x10 and you are more likely to lose a bead wheeling if aired down.
tjsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
LightningFAST
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Cool! Ordered up some 33x12.5x15 Mud Terrain KM/2s this morning! Thanks.
LightningFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
tjsooner
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, that is the same tire I run. Try 26-28 psi and they should be good to go. I had a little rubbing so adjusted my steering stops with a washer
tjsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I ran 35x12.50's on stock 7" wide wheels (with wheel spacers).It's the backspacing of the wheel that matters,not so much the width.
Originally Posted by Jeepsr4me View Post
Yeap its your nuts that giving you the trouble here...... Get the right ones
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rim width is important to protect the rim and keeping the tire bead seated when aired down...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.