Eastern Catalytic Quality Warning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Eastern Catalytic Quality Warning

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 05-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Eastern Catalytic Quality Warning

I recently had my mini cats go bad on me and ended up clogging up my exhaust on the way to work. Caused all sorts of misfire and other issues but I limped into work and order a new catalytic converter set first thing with 2 day shipping from RockAuto.

I carpooled with my wife for the 2 days and installed the cats over the weekend. The cats I ordered were Eastern Catalytic P/N 20379. All was going perfectly well with the install and fitment until I got to the O2 sensors (at the very end of course). Three went in no problem but the front lower was a little tight. I didn't think too much about it figuring the older, rusty O2 was just a bit snug in the new bung.

So I happily jumped in and fired up the Jeep, glad to be finished seeing the check engine light that's been on for a few months (the older cats were on their way out for a while). But still engine light's on. I pull the code and it's for the front lower O2 sensor.

I pull the sensor and the end is GONE. So I have to drop the entire cat assembly, and once I do I find that the lower front bung is off-center of the hole and the weld has penetrated so much that it contacted and ripped off the sensor head!

I ended up getting a new sensor and a grinding head for the drill. A good solid 20 minutes of grinding at the bung weld (and trying not to destroy the threads) and I was able to get the sensor in without it ripping apart.

I have a photo of the remaining sensor pieces that I fished out of the assembly that I'll post up in a bit. But mostly, I wanted to let others know of the poor quality and lack of inspection on the Eastern Catalytic products. I read others here and elsewhere recommend them which is why I choose them however after this, I'd AVOID them completely.

2005 Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 6spd
2" BB, JKS 1.25" BL & MML, M/T MTZ 33x12.50R15
HP D30: Aussie Locker, D44: Eaton Elocker
FarFire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Terdar
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I installed the eastern catalytic unit on my '06 in January and had no problems with it and it's working great. I did look all over i before installing it though.

The OE pipe on the other hand had the rear lower O2 cross threaded and made it a royal pain to change the sensor.
Terdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Photo of the O2 Sensor after pulling it out and having to fish out what remnants I could through the bung. I had already secured the mini cats to the main cat via the supplied exhaust clamp and wasn't going to try to take it apart and reassembly. Instead it was a process of rolling the assembly around to collect the pieces in one area then use gravity to move them towards one of the bungs and remove using vacuum, needle nose pliers, and a magnet.

I understand quality control can slip through anywhere but this was just poorly welded and inspected from Eastern. I probably should have checked too but this was so poor that it should have been caught at the factory. I had to remove a lot of material to finally get the sensor in place and by the end I was concerned I'd end up grinding down the entire weld.
1.jpg  

Unread 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
tjdriver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The easterns were out of stock at parts geek when I replaced my minis and main. I ordered the bosal one and it's worked fine so far. I did have to tweek a pipe to get it to fit on the manifold correctly, but it works fine. It was better than paying $800 + for the magnaflow setup.
tjdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdriver View Post
The easterns were out of stock at parts geek when I replaced my minis and main. I ordered the bosal one and it's worked fine so far. I did have to tweek a pipe to get it to fit on the manifold correctly, but it works fine. It was better than paying $800 + for the magnaflow setup.

That was my first though as well. You get what you pay for. You spent 200 bucks on a part that cost like $650 at the dealership.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I installed an eastern over the weekend, no problems and all the sensor holes were in the stock location.
Unread 05-11-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
FarFire70
2005 TJ Wrangler 

[Update]

Heard back from Eastern Catalytic. They said if I had called their tech line they would have send out a new unit. Unfortunately since it was on a Sunday and I needed to drive to work Monday this wasn't an option.

After seeing the photos of my damaged oxygen sensor and hearing what happened, they are going to refund me the cost of the next oxygen sensor and the grinding bits.

I can respect a company that stands up for their product and works to make the customer happy. I'd certainly consider them again next time around.

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
medtech
2005 LJ Wrangler 

can you tell me the size of the exhaust pipe leading from the cats and the size of the pipe after the y? Thanks so much!
medtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.