dynatrac prorock 44 vs trail series 44? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dynatrac prorock 44 vs trail series 44?

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
XarmyjeeperX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

dynatrac prorock 44 vs trail series 44?

i want to do an axle swap on my 06 Lj. i want to go with dynatrac but i cant decide on the prorock or the trail series. can someone with either axles give me some insight on them and what the pros and cons of each ones are. any input will help. thanks

XarmyjeeperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I know one difference with the prorock is that the housing is shaved/designed to give you more clearance. Other than that, I'm not sure about the differences. Check Dynatrac's website. They've got a spec sheet on the axles they make.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Are you talking front or rear?

The prorock is THEIR axle. The trail series is a cut down JK axle with TJ bracketry. The prorock is superior in that it has a lot stronger, higher clearance case. Also larger diameter, thicker tubes as well. They warranty the Prorock to 38" tires. I posted a thread on this and got nothing but negative responses about it. I personally think that the prorock woould be a great upgrade to any Jeep. It's stout as hell with a damn good warranty. Oh and the prorock uses JK D44 gears which are stronger than typical 44 gears and you can use multiple lockers. I believe the trail series is limited to the JK air locker.

After talking with them on the phone it's clear that Prorock is the obvious winner. A complete bolt in front with detroit will run you about 3800. You still need to use your brakes and outers. If you want just the housing with inner c's and brackets it'll run you about 1900. The salesman I spoke with didn't seem to enthused about the trail series. I'm sure they are biased towards the Prorock since it's their axle.

I'm still considering it myself.
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Look at the pumpkin a little closer and you will see a lot of difference, it has more structural rigidity than a standard 44.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
XarmyjeeperX
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok thanks. And to answer your question Jtrux i was going to replace front and rear. i want to run 37's and since the rear 44 isnt really a 44 i wanted to just go ahead and replace it
XarmyjeeperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XarmyjeeperX View Post
Ok thanks. And to answer your question Jtrux i was going to replace front and rear. i want to run 37's and since the rear 44 isnt really a 44 i wanted to just go ahead and replace it
You have this reversed, the rear D44 in jeep tj's is a true D44, the front is not. The front D44 on tj's utilizes a D44 center section but everything out to the knuckles is D30.

However, I wouldn't run 37s on a D44 in a TJ front or rear that's a lot of tire and really should be left to a 3/4 ton running gear. You can beef up the 44 but when all is said and done you could have went to 3/4 ton axles and skipped the trial and error phase.

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Or just swap in beefed up jk rubi 44's. They are more than up to the task of 37's and much cheaper than dynatrac's. I love mine.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
whitelightning
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i recently inquired about this as well and scott at dynatrac was a big help. the pro rock hp 44 front is the way to go cuz the trail series only alows the use of the jk factory locker as said above. and for the rear i was also looking towards an upgraded 44 but you can actually get Trail Series HP60 with the pro rock upgrade for the same price as the built 44 if not i think scott said it'd be cheaper than the 44. and the 60 you will have no worries. as for reusing the outters up front i was going to upgrade to vanco wich takes care of most of the obvious weekness' with the built 44 front.
whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:39 PM   #9
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Get the dynatrac and then upgrade ur rear 44 with this and run 37s.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hlight=dana+76
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
Turfzilla
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A buddy just waited 17 weeks for his D60 from Dynatrac. You better order soon if that is the route you are going. I help install it yesterday...that baby is the BEEF! and a simple bolt in to a TJ.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #11
Jtrux
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pro rock uses larger/thicker tubes as well. I believe the JK's have had issues with their tubes, don't quote me though.
Unread 05-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
BBRider64
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What happens to steering and track bar (or needs to happen) on a TJ with 3" lift when you swap out a D30 and install a Dynatrac Pro Rock D44?
BBRider64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
Tamatacan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Try this for comparisons
http://www.dynatrac.com/pdfs/New_Gen...ison_chart.pdf
Tamatacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtrux View Post
Are you talking front or rear?

The prorock is THEIR axle. The trail series is a cut down JK axle with TJ bracketry. The prorock is superior in that it has a lot stronger, higher clearance case. Also larger diameter, thicker tubes as well. They warranty the Prorock to 38" tires. I posted a thread on this and got nothing but negative responses about it. I personally think that the prorock woould be a great upgrade to any Jeep. It's stout as hell with a damn good warranty. Oh and the prorock uses JK D44 gears which are stronger than typical 44 gears and you can use multiple lockers. I believe the trail series is limited to the JK air locker.

After talking with them on the phone it's clear that Prorock is the obvious winner. A complete bolt in front with detroit will run you about 3800. You still need to use your brakes and outers. If you want just the housing with inner c's and brackets it'll run you about 1900. The salesman I spoke with didn't seem to enthused about the trail series. I'm sure they are biased towards the Prorock since it's their axle.

I'm still considering it myself.
(Old thread!)

Funny you'd say that. As much as I like Currie products, by all accounts Dynatrac seems to be a great product, too. That said, I know Dynatrrac is spendy...were the negative comments you received about Dynatrac related specifically to pricing, or what?
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm interested in an update on this swap ....
two_much_talk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.