DW and Trac bar upgrade for stock TJ with no lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DW and Trac bar upgrade for stock TJ with no lift

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 07-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
johnlo23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

DW and Trac bar upgrade for stock TJ with no lift

My 2004 TJ is completely stock except for the tires. It just turned over 100k miles last month. I have Goodyear SilentArmor 31X10.5's on the stock rims. The tires have about 40k on them. I rotate them about once a year and there is no noticeable uneven tread wear.

Just last week I started getting a shimmy btwn 52 & 56 mph which I thought was DW, but probably doesn't fit the definition. It's a scary, violent shake at that speed, but it goes away if I speed up or slow down. It seems like a harmonic problem only in that specific speed range.

I am going to get the tires balanced this week and see what effect that has.

From what I've read, the next most often culprit is the trac bar. I checked the bolts and had to re-torque the trac bar axle side, but all other components on the front end were tight. My control arm bushings do have some small cracks on the visible edges, but as that seems like a bigger job, I'd like to try to rule out the trac bar first.

SO... if I choose to just replace the trac bar, I think I should choose an adjustable in case I decide to add a lift in the future. I also would like to go beefier than stock. I have read some older posts and can't determine if any of the aftermarket rods will work on my TJ with 0" of lift. I have the Dana 30 with the stock diff cover.

Has anyone upgraded the track bar on a stock TJ without the need for other changes?

johnlo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
MJBinNM
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There have been several posts about adjustable track bars hitting the diff cover with less than 4 inches of lift.

The stock track bar for your stock set-up is plenty strong. It's usually the bushing at the axle that is the problem, but with 100k miles it's likely that other components are worn. It is kinda painfull to spend almost as much on a good OEM type bar as you would for a good adjustable one, but an adjustable one may just create more problems.

I just replaced mine with the MOOG track bar for around 100 bucks. It has a heavy duty bushing MOOG Track Bar Bushing. I replaced the whole thing since there was a little play in the TRE Joint at the frame. (It can be found online cheaper, but Advance Auto Parts had the best images I could find with a quick search)
MJBinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have done lots of research on this, just get a stock one. I have 0" lift as well, and there isn't an aftermarket bar that you will see the benefits of.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
johnlo23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Had a $20 wheel balance done this morning at my local Mavis Tire and noticed a HUGE improvement. There is still a 'loose' feeling at speeds over 50mph, but the side-to-side wobble is gone.

I am going to get an OEM trac bar and see if that makes things better.

Thanks for the advice.
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
johnlo23
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cleaned the INSIDE of my rims

Just in case anyone reads this thread.
About a month ago when rotating my tires, I decided to thoroughly clean the inside (vehicle side) of my rims. There was a good amount of sludge on the flat parts that wasn't visible from the street side.

So, either I finally got to a rotation that kills the harmonic, or the extra weight from that sludge was throwing off the tire balance enough to cause it.

Anyone having tire vibration troubles may want to try cleaning their rims. Might help.

Tags
death wobble , no lift , shimmy , trac bar , vibration , TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.