Dw ramble! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dw ramble!

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Scram
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dw ramble!

Can't seem to shake this Death Wobble.
Long story short: 2005 LJ (no lift) on 31's 160k miles all stock suspension
Purchased a yr ago rode fine in every way.
Swapped out tires for 31 Firestone AT's that I had on a previous truck that got wrecked.
A week after the Firestones getting put on I had to hit the freeway and once I got over 65ish DW hit. (Not a shimmy so please don't start there)
I've had the Jeep realigned and rebalanced a number of times with no change.
(Completed dry steer test and multiple front end inspections nothing seemed loose)

I finally replaced the upper control arms with new oem replacements...nothing
replaced the track bar with a Moog. Reduced the DW by easily 85-90%
It was pretty much gone and allowed me to go over 65-70 with very little vibration. and that sweet spot of 63-65 didn't send the Jeep into anything crazy...

Some Jeepers mentioned to lower my air pressure from 31-32 down to the 28-29 range. did this and hit the freeway. after driving for a while in traffic didn't notice anything but once it opened up I had 3 DW and 1 that might have been the worse one yet.

Pulled over put the pressure back to the 31 range and it was better.

Without tossing $$$ around what are the key areas that need to be replaced?
Again please don't ask me to check the front end for loose components, check air pressure (as it has been set and reset) alignment or balancing as all of these areas have been addressed.

I'm looking at doing shocks this week but my real question is should I be looking at replacing: ball joints, tie-rod assembly (I would go to the ZJ upgrade) U joints, wheel bearings etc?

Thank you in advance.

Scram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

How are you doing the dry steering test?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the actual toe in yourself? It is easy to do, and there is even a current thread about how to do it, so no real need to pay anyone to do it. When I got DW, and it was full blown, I had to adjust my toe in, and has been ok since.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scram View Post
Can't seem to shake this Death Wobble.
Long story short: 2005 LJ (no lift) on 31's 160k miles all stock suspension
Purchased a yr ago rode fine in every way.
Swapped out tires for 31 Firestone AT's that I had on a previous truck that got wrecked.
A week after the Firestones getting put on I had to hit the freeway and once I got over 65ish DW hit. (Not a shimmy so please don't start there)
I've had the Jeep realigned and rebalanced a number of times with no change.
(Completed dry steer test and multiple front end inspections nothing seemed loose)

I finally replaced the upper control arms with new oem replacements...nothing
replaced the track bar with a Moog. Reduced the DW by easily 85-90%
It was pretty much gone and allowed me to go over 65-70 with very little vibration. and that sweet spot of 63-65 didn't send the Jeep into anything crazy...

Some Jeepers mentioned to lower my air pressure from 31-32 down to the 28-29 range. did this and hit the freeway. after driving for a while in traffic didn't notice anything but once it opened up I had 3 DW and 1 that might have been the worse one yet.

Pulled over put the pressure back to the 31 range and it was better.

Without tossing $$$ around what are the key areas that need to be replaced?
Again please don't ask me to check the front end for loose components, check air pressure (as it has been set and reset) alignment or balancing as all of these areas have been addressed.

I'm looking at doing shocks this week but my real question is should I be looking at replacing: ball joints, tie-rod assembly (I would go to the ZJ upgrade) U joints, wheel bearings etc?

Thank you in advance.
How are your upper control arm bushings in the axle housing doing? And your lower control arm bushings? Also, check your ball joints and unit bearings. Jack up one wheel, take a pry bar, and lever up hard on the tire. If there is any play, locate it in the ball joints or unit bearings and replace as necessary. Did you check your steering rod ends (drag link and tie rod ends) for vertical play? I'm assuming there is no lateral play in those as you already did a dry steer test. Pull and push vertically with your hands. I've had bad ball joints, unit bearings, control arm bushings, loose track bar bolt, and worn steering rod ends all cause death wobble in my Jeep.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

yeah id love to hear how you do a dry test ? step by step etc if you care to. tia.

stratton.
STRATTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
yeah id love to hear how you do a dry test ? step by step etc if you care to. tia.

stratton.
Dry steer test identifies issues with steering rod ends and the track bar. What I do is get a helper to sit in the Jeep and move the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running. I look where the track bar connects to the frame and the axle for any movement. Then, look for play (lateral or vertical) in any of the rod ends. There are two rod ends on the drag link and two rod ends on the tie rod.

The dry steer test won't always identify a worn rod end though. You will need to push and pull vertically to test for play as well. My Currie axle side drag link rod end wore out and had zero observable play in it upon performing the dry steer test. It was only when I pushed and pulled on it vertically, did it reveal excessive play. Replaced it, and the DW went away. I've found my Jeep is particularly susceptible to DW with the slightest worn components probably due to my hard to balance 35" MTRs.

After the dry steer test, you still need to rule out all 8 control arm bushings, ball joints, unit bearings, tires, and alignment.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I do the dry steering test with the motor off so there is no power steering assist.

Turn the steering wheel back and forth rapidly.

Do not turn from lock to lock, turn from about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock.

You want to change steering direction quickly. Make the front end work hard.

And do this with the tires on the ground.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

thank you for the info guys.

ill do this test tomorrow when my boy is helping me wrench.

i did install a new steering stabilizer yest. it seems to have smoothed out the slight vibes i had at around 70ish mph. now it seems pretty smooth even at 80ish. i was under there and all seemed well but like i said i will further inspect tomorrow.

agian thanks for the info !

stratton.
Unread 04-04-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
clg82
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATTON View Post
thank you for the info guys.

ill do this test tomorrow when my boy is helping me wrench.

i did install a new steering stabilizer yest. it seems to have smoothed out the slight vibes i had at around 70ish mph. now it seems pretty smooth even at 80ish. i was under there and all seemed well but like i said i will further inspect tomorrow.

agian thanks for the info !

stratton.
this is just a bandaid for something that is really wrong still.....you should be able to drive safely without a steering stabilizer......something is still wrong and until you diagnose it and fix it the stabilizer will just cover it up until it doesn't.....
Unread 06-14-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
STRATTON
2002 TJ Wrangler 

repleaced, tie rod ends with moog, new upper trackbar, new v8 tie rod, realigned and rebalced my 35's. rides at 80mph very smoothly now.

stratton.
Unread 06-15-2014, 07:34 PM   #11
Scram
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Replaced track bar with Moog, all 4 shocks w/ Monroe sensation track lt, Monroe steering stabilizer, and both upper control arms.

No issues but still going to do the V8 upgrade.
image-3127309284.jpg

Scram is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.