DW - Death Wobble - Trac-Bar Bracket Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > DW - Death Wobble - Trac-Bar Bracket Question

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 06-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
paulcalif

DW - Death Wobble - Trac-Bar Bracket Question

Purchased used, lifted TJ - 99 4 cyl. I've had it a while now, over a year. Rarely drive it on the road. Recently, I replaced the clutch etc. First time I took it on the road after replacing the clutch, I got horrible Death Wobble. Figured it had something to do with the clutch replacement, but I haven't seen anything wrong. Since that first Wobble it was ok the few short trips I took on pavement (less than 3 miles).
I had to get it smogged, 20 miles, fine until I got to town, hit a bump in the road and got the horrible Death Wobble again. 4 more times while I was in town, then nothing all the way home.
I've been searching the internet and most of the time the Death Wobble seems to be caused by something worn out in the front suspension, usually the Trac-bar bushings.
I did a dry turn test, looking at the trac-bar closely. It looks like the person that put the lift on, also added a trac-bar bracket extension. The entire extension bracket pivots around the bracket mounting bolt. It moves a lot. There is a second hole in the bracket that looks like a second mount location but there doesn't appear to be a hole in the Jeep bracket to put a bolt through.
So, very long question just a little shorter, should this mounting bracket extension have a second hole with bolt to keep it from pivoting? How about the stabilizer, looks like it may have been leaking (oily dust covered).
Also, I put some new (used) tires in the back recently, had them balanced, but could that be doing this?
Thanks in advance,
Paul

imag0306-large-.jpg  
paulcalif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Put the track bar back into the stock hole and ditch that bracket.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Ditch the bracket and use an adjustable track bar to center the axle.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
Put the track bar back into the stock hole and ditch that bracket.
X 2 on ditching the bracket.If you have a 3-4" lift,you need to drill another hole near the stock one.Make sure the front toe is set to 1/8" (alignment).Unevenly worn or impropery balanced tires can cause it also.I've only had DW twice and both times it was just because I lifted the Jeep and didn't align the front immediately.It takes 10 minutes to do it yourself.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
paulcalif

Thanks guys - definitely going to ditch the bracket, but each of you had different advice on what to do after that.
1. Put the trac-bar back in the original bracket. (will it fit my lifted Jeep?)
2. Purchase an adjustable trac-bar - (Ebay?) Adjust it to fit the two end holes, or is this used to center the axel? How?
3. Drill a new hole close to the original hole. (How do I know where to drill, wherever it lines up?)

Got advice on how to center the axel?

I'm an old guy (58), and fix everything myself, but I haven't worked on front ends much.
Great link to the toe in. One of the first things I had to do to this Jeep was replace a broken front axel it had when I bought it but I never checked the toe in.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How my much lift do you have? If you're not sure, measure the springs from where they seat on the axle to where they seat on upper rubber coil isolator.
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulcalif View Post
I'm an old guy (58), and fix everything myself, but I haven't worked on front ends much.
Have you met Stu?
http://www.stu-offroad.com/index.asp...
Knuckelhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
paulcalif

I don't know how much lift I have, but I'll measure it tomorrow - (now that I know how).

Stu's site is great, tons of good info. there - thanks
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks guys - definitely going to ditch the bracket, but each of you had different advice on what to do after that.
1. Put the trac-bar back in the original bracket. (will it fit my lifted Jeep?)
2. Purchase an adjustable trac-bar - (Ebay?) Adjust it to fit the two end holes, or is this used to center the axel? How?
3. Drill a new hole close to the original hole. (How do I know where to drill, wherever it lines up?)

Got advice on how to center the axel?
Options 2 & 3 will center the axle.Here's the least expensive way I've used on 7 of my 8 Jeeps.Stock hole bottom left.

Unread 06-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Read this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/br...racket-905624/...
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #11
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
That doesn't happen unless you're not smart enough to keep the bolt tight.I use a lock washer.Even Jerry B ran his that way for a while.
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
That doesn't happen unless you're not smart enough to keep the bolt tight.I use a lock washer.Even Jerry B ran his that way for a while.
Even with the bolt tight, it can still happen...

Tags
death wobble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.