Durango steering box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Durango steering box

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
tim87114
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Durango steering box

Anyone tried it? I've seen it done, and it's bolt on. It's ironic that it's only $169.00 where as the TJ box is around 300-500 depending on where you look.
Any comments?

tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim87114 View Post
Anyone tried it? I've seen it done, and it's bolt on. It's ironic that it's only $169.00 where as the TJ box is around 300-500 depending on where you look.
Any comments?
Where did you find it for $169?
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

One of the best mods I have done. It is GREAT!

Get a Durango box from a 98 with a 318 V8 (if im not mistaken) WITHOUT the snowplow package!
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
cpleasant
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I could have swore I heard people say get the snow plow option. How different is the box?

On a side note, are you the monster in the picture?
I know your rite I seid the dealer seid the same thing as you and that I don't want them there , but I was asking another qeustin as in what do I do about the slots in the brackets couse if I just put a bolt in there it will slide back and fourth but again thank you all knowing and powerfull jeep god sorry us lesser jeep peeons might have some more qeustins in the future , so please if there to much for you sit back relax go to the next post
cpleasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
DstroyrOfWrldz
2005 LJ Wrangler 

forgive my ignorance, but what is the advantage of the durango box over the stock Jeep one?
Unread 08-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
matthewh_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I believe it's only bolt-on for 2002 and older TJ's
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
When a girl tells you your flex is sexy then you are doing something right in life.
matthewh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpleasant View Post
I could have swore I heard people say get the snow plow option. How different is the box?

On a side note, are you the monster in the picture?
Same box other than the snowplow option requires more turns lock to lock.

Yes, my avatar is me along with my trusty Jeep pulling dually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DstroyrOfWrldz View Post
forgive my ignorance, but what is the advantage of the durango box over the stock Jeep one?
No ignorance.... The advantage is that the Durango box has a larger piston inside of the box (moves more fluid) and requires fewer turns lock to lock (turns of the steering wheel to max out) than the stock TJ steering box.

**** Double check the 2002 + older comment. That may be true and I forgot about it!***
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim87114 View Post
Any comments?
Make sure you priced the correct box. 03-06 Tjs take a little more work. You will find a ton of "comments" when you try a search. It's been done a lot.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/du...3-06-a-816687/
Unread 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

I got the plow package one. Works great, very strong. I had to upgrade to v8 zj steering as I kept bending the small TJ cross bar. now either the jeep moves or whatever its up against moves

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
durango , tj , wrangler , steering box , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.