Durango Alternator Swap with pictures! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Durango Alternator Swap with pictures!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 06-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #61
silver97tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hi all

I got a rewound 136A on ebay and it fit my TJ 2.5 fine. Thing is I cant find oe part number on it the seller says it will both 4.0 and 2.5? it fit mine fine and is running good........................................

PS it looks just like one i took off, no arm to cut off, my lights are brighter.... it came with paper showing graph of amp test

Support our Troops!! Thank You!!!
silver97tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 02:35 AM   #62
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver97tj View Post
PS it looks just like one i took off, no arm to cut off, my lights are brighter.... it came with paper showing graph of amp test
Not all of them will have an arm to cut off. There are I think four different variations of mount locations, 97-99, 2000, 01-03, 04-06.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #63
pladead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I did the 2002 Durango Duralast (160A) alternator swap. Direct bolt-in. I did have to change the seven grove pulley back to the stock six grove. The channels in the seven grove were too deep and they wore through a brand new belt in about an hour of running.

And yes, I did upgrade the wires.
pladead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:01 PM   #64
Ajamant
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just dropped a 04 durango 160amp alternator into 04 TJ and replaced the belt while I was at it. No issues, didn't have to cut off arm with 1/8 inch clearance around sparky cover. Finally blew the stock alternator after successfully winching a f350 diesel on 37's outta a nasty whole (superwinch still pulling strong).

WIRING QUESTION: So the consensus for the beefed up wiring is taking 2-4 gauge wire and running a parallel circuit to the battery??? Confused on where to run the parallel wire.
Unread 06-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #65
pladead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I completely removed the stock wire.

- 2 AWG wire to the starter
- 4 AWG wire to the alternator with an in-line Mega Fuse (175A)
- used marine type terminals at the battery
- I crimped the 2 and 4 wires together into one eyelet at the battery end
- You have to leave the positive wire to the under hood fuse box intact

Any battery shop can crimp the wires.

I also upgraded all my winch wires with 1 AWG

Mine is a 1999 TJ with a 2002 Durango 160A altanator so yours may be different.
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #66
Ajamant
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, but I'm fairly sure (not looking at it now) that the 04TJ only has 1 wire going into the fuse box. Will confirm tonight.

Didn't even think about upgrading winch wiring. Is something that's needed, I have a superwinch epi9000 with beefy wiring already, dint know what gauge.
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #67
pladead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Mine only has one wire to the box also...

The wire coming out of the box should be the one to the alternator. This is the wire I replaced.

The one wire from the battery to the box is the power for the box.

Instead of running from the box to the alternator I ran mine from the battery to the alt with a 175A in-line fuse.

I may have confused things by bringing up the starter wire upgrage also.
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #68
Ajamant
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, thank u for the follow up. Can I just leave the stock wiring alone and run a single 4g wire with 175amp fuse from the alternator to the battery?

Electrical isn't my strong suit.... My next task is a hand throttle because Stu's write up on the cool throttle winch control via your cruise control was WAY to much wiring. I'll stick with some bike parts and call her good ).
Unread 06-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #69
Ajamant
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, thank u for the follow up. Can I just leave the stock wiring alone and run a single 4g wire with 175amp fuse from the alternator to the battery?

Electrical isn't my strong suit.... My next task is a hand throttle because Stu's write up on the cool throttle winch control via your cruise control was WAY to much wiring. I'll stick with some bike parts and call her good ).
Unread 06-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #70
pladead
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think that would be a problem. The only issue I see would be now you would have a 175A in-line fuse and the stock fusible link (small piece of wire acting as a fuse).

You might want to ask someone a little more knowledgeable than me.
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #71
Ajamant
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just found this link in the electrical section: their use is for stereo equipment but the concept is sound. It's called "The Big 3" and there's a decent write-up here:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=73496&PN=1
Unread 06-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #72
Swacos_tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yea the big 3 a must with high current systems
Swacos_tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #73
kittyhawk
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesSJ View Post
WorldwideAlternator

Part No 12328

Advance Auto Parts: Alternator by Worldwide - Part 12328

remember though its only online. then you can select pick up in store if it is in stock at your local place. I had to wait for shipping cause mine wasnt. They also have a deal out now where if you spend 100 you get 50 back on a gift card. good deal i think!
Any issues with this Alternator??? I was going to get one but I am worried about it being a reman.
Thanks
Dave
kittyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #74
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Any issues with this Alternator??? I was going to get one but I am worried about it being a reman.
Thanks
Dave
Zero! Over two years on mine with scores of heavy winch sessions with a Warn 8274. Just my 2

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #75
LimeLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just installed one of these today. Lost the alternator on the way home from work and drove to Advance Auto Parts in the morning. Swapped it in the parking lot in about thirty minutes. Only fitment issue was I needed to file the bottom rear nut insert. Need to get a proper fuse setup in there now.
LimeLJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dodge , durango , alternator , swap , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.