Durango Alternator Swap with pictures! - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Durango Alternator Swap with pictures!

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-27-2014, 09:15 AM   #136
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Electrically it makes no difference if they had connected the end of the fusible link coming from the alternator to the battery positive post. They probably wanted to have less wires as possible going to the battery.

BTW the starter wire doesn't need to be changed but it doesn't hurt. It is not affected by the increase in alternator current.

D0T-C0M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #137
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
electrically it makes no difference if they had connected the end of the fusible link coming from the alternator to the battery positive post. They probably wanted to have less wires as possible going to the battery.
thats all i could think of too
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #138
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This is a very important and potentially dangerous mod if not done correctly. Just imagine someone with dual 1000 cranking amp batteries, you could have 2000 amps flowing into a faulted alternator. That's some serious current. People don't realize that the fusible link isn't sized to blow at a certain amperage. Its function is to run cool at max alternator current but under short circuit conditions where the fault current is 3 or 4 times that max alternator current its designed to melt. If you run a 10AWG designed for a (117-130a) alternator than it will run hotter and probably beyond the conductor's rated temperature rise spec which can lead to insulation failure over time as it becomes brittle. That is why you also need to increase the fusible link to 8AWG for a 150-190 amp alternator.
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #139
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you both for this discussion. I have been following yall and have learned a lot. I have been wanting to do this mod for some time to compensate for my winch but wasn't sure how to actually upgrade my harness.

Live Free,
Brad
Unread 03-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #140
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M
This is a very important and potentially dangerous mod if not done correctly. Just imagine someone with dual 1000 cranking amp batteries, you could have 2000 amps flowing into a faulted alternator. That's some serious current. People don't realize that the fusible link isn't sized to blow at a certain amperage. Its function is to run cool at max alternator current but under short circuit conditions where the fault current is 3 or 4 times that max alternator current its designed to melt. If you run a 10AWG designed for a (117-130a) alternator than it will run hotter and probably beyond the conductor's rated temperature rise spec which can lead to insulation failure over time as it becomes brittle. That is why you also need to increase the fusible link to 8AWG for a 150-190 amp alternator.
What length of the 8 gauge fusible link should you use, just match it to the factory 10 gauge link? And you just solder the fusible link to the main 4 gauge wire, correct?

My alternator was making death noises so I recently replaced it with the Durango. Still running the stock wiring for now, but wanted to upgrade it the correct way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC
Thank you both for this discussion. I have been following yall and have learned a lot. I have been wanting to do this mod for some time to compensate for my winch but wasn't sure how to actually upgrade my harness. Live Free, Brad
I agree! I know very little when it comes to electrical.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #141
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Use the same length of fusible link as the 10AWG had and the fusible link needs to be cross crimped (one wire over the other, not end to end) not soldered as the solder has a lower melting point than the copper wire. After crimping use a shrink tube to insulate just the crimp and overlapping about an inch or so on each side. It might be easier just to rob the wiring off a scraped Jeep Libery or durango as I haven't been successful finding a supplier that will sell under a reel of fusible link wire. Anyone have any links?
Unread 03-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #142
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M
Use the same length of fusible link as the 10AWG had and the fusible link needs to be cross crimped (one wire over the other, not end to end) not soldered as the solder has a lower melting point than the copper wire. After crimping use a shrink tube to insulate just the crimp and overlapping about an inch or so on each side. It might be easier just to rob the wiring off a scraped Jeep Libery or durango as I haven't been successful finding a supplier that will sell under a reel of fusible link wire. Anyone have any links?
Thank you for all the info. I see that $70 reel of 25 ft fusible link, but no one readily sells smaller pieces. Just might be easier to go the jy route as you mentioned. However, I did find these two links. I haven't tried them before though.

http://www.awcwire.com/part.aspx?partname=j156-awg8

http://www.whiteproducts.com/fusible-service.shtml
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #143
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I emailed the companies in the both links yesterday and haven't heard back from them. It would be helpful for everyone if we had a supplier for these links as many people are upgrading their alternators.
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #144
Mezeron
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do we have a confirmation that this will work on a TJ sport 4.0L that predates 00?? This seems like a great idea for an upgrade but after reading this and doing a bit of searching I cannot find a definite answer. If you can do this is the durango 01-06 still the donor @160amps?
Mezeron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #145
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezeron View Post
Do we have a confirmation that this will work on a TJ sport 4.0L that predates 00?? This seems like a great idea for an upgrade but after reading this and doing a bit of searching I cannot find a definite answer. If you can do this is the durango 01-06 still the donor @160amps?
How many wires on the alternator plug on your 97? I didn't specifically research that but seems to me I read something about the voltage regulator being internal to the alternator on the older models. Regardless of the plug in or if the regulator is in the alternator, All that would be requires is to install an external voltage regulator which is pretty simple and get a new plug-in if its different. Its doable just a little more work. I am pretty sure the alternator bolts in but don't quote me on it

Tags
dodge , durango , alternator , swap , tj , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.