Durango 160 amp alternator to 06 TJ swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 57 Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
SnatchBlock
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo_331 View Post
this swap doesnt work for us '97-02 guys right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntp View Post
I'd also love some more info on this swap (does it work for 97-02?)!!

I want to eventually run a HF ham radio, along w/ tons of other accessories (audio, ham radios, winch, etc). 160 amp would be awesome!!

Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA 97TJ View Post
I'm curious about this too. Will they work on a 97?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzjeep View Post
Ya, I'd like to know to. Bump!
I was actually just researching this same topic last week. From what I gathered, the alternator the OP is talking about will not fit earlier model TJ's. It looks like the mounting bolt pattern changed.

If you have a '99 TJ 4.0L and want a 160amp alternator. (cross check your part numbers to see if this will work for other year TJ's)
Look for an alternator from a 2002 Dodge Durango 5.9L V8. I talked to the forum member that did the swap and he said it is a direct bolt in. The only difference is that there is an extra groove on the pulley of the durango alternator. So you just won't use the goove that is farthest from the alternator when you put your belt back on.

I ordered mine from Advance Auto last week and it should be here in the next few days. I'll verify that it fits when I get it in the mail.


Last edited by SnatchBlock; 10-21-2009 at 12:24 AM.
SnatchBlock is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 57 Old 10-20-2009, 10:32 PM
bmxrules39
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 764
I got a 136amp I believe from a v8 grand cherokee (don't know what year)... yes they work with a 97. You have to be careful when looking because some alts will randomly be lower amps. Mine went out on a trip so I had a guy at autozone search a bunch until he found one with the same bolts that was higher amps, only difference was the housing is bigger.

I researched this far and wide before I did it. I used to have a sheet with about 40 alts that would work but it seems to have been lost.

However google does help: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/
bmxrules39 is offline  
post #18 of 57 Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Border Dave
Got Sand?
 
Border Dave's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 2,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchBlock View Post
... The only difference is that there is an extra groove on the pulley of the durango alternator. So you just won't use the goove that is farthest from the alternator when you put your belt back on.
Couldn't you just use the pulley from your original alternator?

My favorite shops in the Northwest:

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline  
post #19 of 57 Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
SnatchBlock
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
Couldn't you just use the pulley from your original alternator?
From what I have read you could swap pulleys if you wanted to.

When I go to swap the alternator I will just leave the durango pulley on it, so it is less work.
SnatchBlock is offline  
post #20 of 57 Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 PM
6thelement
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: denver
Posts: 185
You want amps? I got your amps! - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
doesnt the jk have a 160 amp alt?

if at first ya don't succeed .don't tell anyone

Last edited by 6thelement; 10-20-2009 at 10:56 PM.
6thelement is offline  
post #21 of 57 Old 10-20-2009, 10:45 PM
WildBlue
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrules39 View Post
I got a 136amp I believe from a v8 grand cherokee (don't know what year)... yes they work with a 97. You have to be careful when looking because some alts will randomly be lower amps. Mine went out on a trip so I had a guy at autozone search a bunch until he found one with the same bolts that was higher amps, only difference was the housing is bigger.

I researched this far and wide before I did it. I used to have a sheet with about 40 alts that would work but it seems to have been lost.

However google does help: BC4x4.COM four wheel drive, 4x4, offroad and fourwheeling site.
That's the exact write-up I have...I snatched it from Pirate from Firetoad like 4 or 5 years ago. Good now I don't have to host it somewhere it's already right there. And yes, he had a 97 4.0L TJ and put a 136 amp alternator on it, so I know it works on 97's. Anyway there it is. I also have that same file in PDF form now if anyone wants it.

Thanks for posting that link that saves me lots of headaches now.

Trey
WildBlue is offline  
post #22 of 57 Old 10-20-2009, 11:02 PM
bmxrules39
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 764
YES! After a little searching I found my post.

This topic is talked about a lot, you just have to find the right thread/info.
So I did a little searching for you guys and this should be more than enough info.

Here's the thread
Here's what you have
Here's the perfect swap for your 97-02 (but, as mentioned, there will be and extra groove in the pulley)
And this is a big list of alts if you want to choose your own

Last edited by bmxrules39; 10-21-2009 at 06:49 PM.
bmxrules39 is offline  
post #23 of 57 Old 10-21-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
N8Doggz
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 115
does anyone know if the 2006-08 3.7 L 160 amp on the durango is the same as 5...... Liter V8 alternator rated at 160 amps? I am would think they would be the same size but does anyone know off hand?

Midnight Blue '06 TJ//Dana 44 w/4.56/4" Teraflex w/shrt adj arms, 1" teraflex BL, discos, adj trackbar F+R/SYE, Tom Woods shafts/ARB lockers F+R/Yukon frnt axle w/760/ARB Hi output compressor/ Safari Snorkel/KC 6"+8" trails+fogs lights/Procomp Rockcrawlers/35" BFG MT KM2/Warn winch/steering box, oil pan, trans, bellyup,warn diff skids/diamond plate body armor/Olympic Rocker Guards/Herculined/CB/Amsoil all the way around, and a few more things


/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
(_) ) ()_)-o-)_)


N8Doggz is offline  
post #24 of 57 Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM
cvd
Registered User
 
cvd's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 1,117
Is there a down side to a higher amp alternator? All else being equal, it seems the higher amp alternator would sap more power from the engine. Does anyone know if the difference would be noticeable?
cvd is offline  
post #25 of 57 Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 PM
bmxrules39
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd View Post
Is there a down side to a higher amp alternator? All else being equal, it seems the higher amp alternator would sap more power from the engine. Does anyone know if the difference would be noticeable?
No noticeable difference in engine strain, and there is no other down side that I've ever come across.
Your volt regulators will handle everything just fine, and your volt gauge will stay more stable when running multiple accessories.
bmxrules39 is offline  
post #26 of 57 Old 10-29-2009, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
N8Doggz
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchBlock View Post
I was actually just researching this same topic last week. From what I gathered, the alternator the OP is talking about will not fit earlier model TJ's. It looks like the mounting bolt pattern changed.

If you have a '99 TJ 4.0L and want a 160amp alternator. (cross check your part numbers to see if this will work for other year TJ's)
Look for an alternator from a 2002 Dodge Durango 5.9L V8. I talked to the forum member that did the swap and he said it is a direct bolt in. The only difference is that there is an extra groove on the pulley of the durango alternator. So you just won't use the goove that is farthest from the alternator when you put your belt back on.

I ordered mine from Advance Auto last week and it should be here in the next few days. I'll verify that it fits when I get it in the mail.
Did you ever get the alternator in the mail?? I was going to order mine up????

Midnight Blue '06 TJ//Dana 44 w/4.56/4" Teraflex w/shrt adj arms, 1" teraflex BL, discos, adj trackbar F+R/SYE, Tom Woods shafts/ARB lockers F+R/Yukon frnt axle w/760/ARB Hi output compressor/ Safari Snorkel/KC 6"+8" trails+fogs lights/Procomp Rockcrawlers/35" BFG MT KM2/Warn winch/steering box, oil pan, trans, bellyup,warn diff skids/diamond plate body armor/Olympic Rocker Guards/Herculined/CB/Amsoil all the way around, and a few more things


/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
(_) ) ()_)-o-)_)


N8Doggz is offline  
post #27 of 57 Old 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
SnatchBlock
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Doggz View Post
Did you ever get the alternator in the mail?? I was going to order mine up????
Yes, it looks to be plug and play for my Jeep. Although, I haven't had a chance to put it in yet. The mounting holes on my alternator are at the 12 and 6 o'clock position.
I think your 2006 has mounting holes at the 2 and 6 o'clock position so check to make sure it will work before you order it.
SnatchBlock is offline  
post #28 of 57 Old 10-29-2009, 04:41 PM
F9K9
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, KY, US
Posts: 1,092
Maybe Pirate has a thread on this but, do we need a direct "plug n play" thread?

Mine is an '03 TJ. A '98 Durango's V-8's 160 amp is a direct fit on my '03. No counting grooves, belt or pulley changes.

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline  
post #29 of 57 Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
N8Doggz
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by F9K9 View Post
Maybe Pirate has a thread on this but, do we need a direct "plug n play" thread?

Mine is an '03 TJ. A '98 Durango's V-8's 160 amp is a direct fit on my '03. No counting grooves, belt or pulley changes.
Is 03-06 the same set up?

Semper Fi Marine!

Midnight Blue '06 TJ//Dana 44 w/4.56/4" Teraflex w/shrt adj arms, 1" teraflex BL, discos, adj trackbar F+R/SYE, Tom Woods shafts/ARB lockers F+R/Yukon frnt axle w/760/ARB Hi output compressor/ Safari Snorkel/KC 6"+8" trails+fogs lights/Procomp Rockcrawlers/35" BFG MT KM2/Warn winch/steering box, oil pan, trans, bellyup,warn diff skids/diamond plate body armor/Olympic Rocker Guards/Herculined/CB/Amsoil all the way around, and a few more things


/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
(_) ) ()_)-o-)_)


N8Doggz is offline  
post #30 of 57 Old 10-29-2009, 05:23 PM
F9K9
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: London, KY, US
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Doggz View Post
Is 03-06 the same set up?............
I really don't know, Bro. I would suspect so but, can't tell you that. I would recommend a search on ROF.com under the TJ section. BTW, they are very non Rubi friendly.

Semper Fi

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
02 Durango 5.9L Alternator in a 01'? TJamz TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 2 07-20-2010 08:13 AM
Durango swap complete. Marine_Mike YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 8 06-17-2008 05:31 PM
Durango seat swap... Dom45ACP TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 1 06-12-2007 06:42 PM
Durango Alternator Thug Nasty TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 5 09-13-2006 06:00 PM
durango steering box swap jeepinkeller TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 0 05-21-2004 03:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome