Durango 160 amp alternator to 06 TJ swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Durango 160 amp alternator to 06 TJ swap

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #16
SnatchBlock
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo_331 View Post
this swap doesnt work for us '97-02 guys right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntp View Post
I'd also love some more info on this swap (does it work for 97-02?)!!

I want to eventually run a HF ham radio, along w/ tons of other accessories (audio, ham radios, winch, etc). 160 amp would be awesome!!

Thanks guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA 97TJ View Post
I'm curious about this too. Will they work on a 97?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzjeep View Post
Ya, I'd like to know to. Bump!
I was actually just researching this same topic last week. From what I gathered, the alternator the OP is talking about will not fit earlier model TJ's. It looks like the mounting bolt pattern changed.

If you have a '99 TJ 4.0L and want a 160amp alternator. (cross check your part numbers to see if this will work for other year TJ's)
Look for an alternator from a 2002 Dodge Durango 5.9L V8. I talked to the forum member that did the swap and he said it is a direct bolt in. The only difference is that there is an extra groove on the pulley of the durango alternator. So you just won't use the goove that is farthest from the alternator when you put your belt back on.

I ordered mine from Advance Auto last week and it should be here in the next few days. I'll verify that it fits when I get it in the mail.

Last edited by SnatchBlock; 10-21-2009 at 01:24 AM..
SnatchBlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got a 136amp I believe from a v8 grand cherokee (don't know what year)... yes they work with a 97. You have to be careful when looking because some alts will randomly be lower amps. Mine went out on a trip so I had a guy at autozone search a bunch until he found one with the same bolts that was higher amps, only difference was the housing is bigger.

I researched this far and wide before I did it. I used to have a sheet with about 40 alts that would work but it seems to have been lost.

However google does help: http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2004/jeepalt/
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #18
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchBlock View Post
... The only difference is that there is an extra groove on the pulley of the durango alternator. So you just won't use the goove that is farthest from the alternator when you put your belt back on.
Couldn't you just use the pulley from your original alternator?

http://www.clavicle3.com

http://www.jeepwest.com
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #19
SnatchBlock
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
Couldn't you just use the pulley from your original alternator?
From what I have read you could swap pulleys if you wanted to.

When I go to swap the alternator I will just leave the durango pulley on it, so it is less work.
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #20
6thelement
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You want amps? I got your amps! - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board
doesnt the jk have a 160 amp alt?

Last edited by 6thelement; 10-20-2009 at 11:56 PM..
6thelement is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #21
WildBlue
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrules39 View Post
I got a 136amp I believe from a v8 grand cherokee (don't know what year)... yes they work with a 97. You have to be careful when looking because some alts will randomly be lower amps. Mine went out on a trip so I had a guy at autozone search a bunch until he found one with the same bolts that was higher amps, only difference was the housing is bigger.

I researched this far and wide before I did it. I used to have a sheet with about 40 alts that would work but it seems to have been lost.

However google does help: BC4x4.COM four wheel drive, 4x4, offroad and fourwheeling site.
That's the exact write-up I have...I snatched it from Pirate from Firetoad like 4 or 5 years ago. Good now I don't have to host it somewhere it's already right there. And yes, he had a 97 4.0L TJ and put a 136 amp alternator on it, so I know it works on 97's. Anyway there it is. I also have that same file in PDF form now if anyone wants it.

Thanks for posting that link that saves me lots of headaches now.

Trey
WildBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #22
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

YES! After a little searching I found my post.

This topic is talked about a lot, you just have to find the right thread/info.
So I did a little searching for you guys and this should be more than enough info.

Here's the thread
Here's what you have
Here's the perfect swap for your 97-02 (but, as mentioned, there will be and extra groove in the pulley)
And this is a big list of alts if you want to choose your own

Last edited by bmxrules39; 10-21-2009 at 07:49 PM..
bmxrules39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #23
N8Doggz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

does anyone know if the 2006-08 3.7 L 160 amp on the durango is the same as 5...... Liter V8 alternator rated at 160 amps? I am would think they would be the same size but does anyone know off hand?
Midnight Blue '06 TJ//Dana 44 w/4.56/4" Teraflex w/shrt adj arms, 1" teraflex BL, discos, adj trackbar F+R/SYE, Tom Woods shafts/ARB lockers F+R/Yukon frnt axle w/760/ARB Hi output compressor/ Safari Snorkel/KC 6"+8" trails+fogs lights/Procomp Rockcrawlers/35" BFG MT KM2/Warn winch/steering box, oil pan, trans, bellyup,warn diff skids/diamond plate body armor/Olympic Rocker Guards/Herculined/CB/Amsoil all the way around, and a few more things

/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
(_) ) ()_)-o-)_)

N8Doggz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
cvd
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a down side to a higher amp alternator? All else being equal, it seems the higher amp alternator would sap more power from the engine. Does anyone know if the difference would be noticeable?
cvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #25
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvd View Post
Is there a down side to a higher amp alternator? All else being equal, it seems the higher amp alternator would sap more power from the engine. Does anyone know if the difference would be noticeable?
No noticeable difference in engine strain, and there is no other down side that I've ever come across.
Your volt regulators will handle everything just fine, and your volt gauge will stay more stable when running multiple accessories.
Unread 10-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #26
N8Doggz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchBlock View Post
I was actually just researching this same topic last week. From what I gathered, the alternator the OP is talking about will not fit earlier model TJ's. It looks like the mounting bolt pattern changed.

If you have a '99 TJ 4.0L and want a 160amp alternator. (cross check your part numbers to see if this will work for other year TJ's)
Look for an alternator from a 2002 Dodge Durango 5.9L V8. I talked to the forum member that did the swap and he said it is a direct bolt in. The only difference is that there is an extra groove on the pulley of the durango alternator. So you just won't use the goove that is farthest from the alternator when you put your belt back on.

I ordered mine from Advance Auto last week and it should be here in the next few days. I'll verify that it fits when I get it in the mail.
Did you ever get the alternator in the mail?? I was going to order mine up????
Midnight Blue '06 TJ//Dana 44 w/4.56/4" Teraflex w/shrt adj arms, 1" teraflex BL, discos, adj trackbar F+R/SYE, Tom Woods shafts/ARB lockers F+R/Yukon frnt axle w/760/ARB Hi output compressor/ Safari Snorkel/KC 6"+8" trails+fogs lights/Procomp Rockcrawlers/35" BFG MT KM2/Warn winch/steering box, oil pan, trans, bellyup,warn diff skids/diamond plate body armor/Olympic Rocker Guards/Herculined/CB/Amsoil all the way around, and a few more things

/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
(_) ) ()_)-o-)_)

Unread 10-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #27
SnatchBlock
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Doggz View Post
Did you ever get the alternator in the mail?? I was going to order mine up????
Yes, it looks to be plug and play for my Jeep. Although, I haven't had a chance to put it in yet. The mounting holes on my alternator are at the 12 and 6 o'clock position.
I think your 2006 has mounting holes at the 2 and 6 o'clock position so check to make sure it will work before you order it.
Unread 10-29-2009, 05:41 PM   #28
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe Pirate has a thread on this but, do we need a direct "plug n play" thread?

Mine is an '03 TJ. A '98 Durango's V-8's 160 amp is a direct fit on my '03. No counting grooves, belt or pulley changes.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
N8Doggz
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9K9 View Post
Maybe Pirate has a thread on this but, do we need a direct "plug n play" thread?

Mine is an '03 TJ. A '98 Durango's V-8's 160 amp is a direct fit on my '03. No counting grooves, belt or pulley changes.
Is 03-06 the same set up?

Semper Fi Marine!

/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
(_) ) ()_)-o-)_)

Unread 10-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #30
F9K9
Semper Fi!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Doggz View Post
Is 03-06 the same set up?............
I really don't know, Bro. I would suspect so but, can't tell you that. I would recommend a search on ROF.com under the TJ section. BTW, they are very non Rubi friendly.

Semper Fi

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.