Duplicate key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Duplicate key

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 11-23-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
shw104
2013 JK Wrangler 

Duplicate key

I lost my spare key and now only have one. I have a 2005 Wrangler... Do I have any options besides going to the dealer to have a new key made/programmed? As I understand it, since I only have one key, my options are limited.

Thank you!
Scott

shw104 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I always have my spare keys made up at Lowes
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #3
04 Unlimited

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yep, you need two keys to program the third. At least that's the routine with my 04. You might check the owner's manual.
04 Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
W0JON
2008 JK Wrangler 

depends if you have the security option... I have a 2005 unlimited and I can use a standard key made at the local hardware store... might be worth spending a dollar and have a key made and try it... or look on your options and see if you do have the security option...... even if it does not allow you to run your rig, you would have a spare to at least open the door locks....
W0JON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
belzurkur
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shw104
I lost my spare key and now only have one. I have a 2005 Wrangler... Do I have any options besides going to the dealer to have a new key made/programmed? As I understand it, since I only have one key, my options are limited.

Thank you!
Scott
I was in the same boat, only one Sentry key. When I was looking for non-dealer solutions, one suggestion was to cut the fob from the Sentry key and place it inside the plastic ignition cover.

Now you could use standard keys, but your anti-theft is gone.

I didn't go that route, but I thought it was creative.
belzurkur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #6
BozoWise
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by belzurkur
I was in the same boat, only one Sentry key. When I was looking for non-dealer solutions, one suggestion was to cut the fob from the Sentry key and place it inside the plastic ignition cover.

Now you could use standard keys, but your anti-theft is gone.

I didn't go that route, but I thought it was creative.
For 30cents you can install a resistor and bypass the sentry. I've done it many times for remote starts and cheap customers not wanting to buy another sentry key.
Unread 11-23-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Brian P

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozoWise
For 30cents you can install a resistor and bypass the sentry. I've done it many times for remote starts and cheap customers not wanting to buy another sentry key.
That will only work with older systems (like GM's chipped key). The Chrysler Sentry System controller needs to "see" the unique code sent to it by the key to allow the fuel injectors to fire.

To the OP, if you have the Sentry System (gray headed key, not black) you may be able to get one at a full-service locksmith that does a lot of lock-out work. They have the blanks and tool to program your Jeep (yes, it's the Jeep that gets programmed, not the key.) For those of you who will yell, "No locksmith will have a DRBII tool" you're right, they don't. But, the makers of the Sentry System do sell licensed locksmiths the module that does just the key (vehicle) programming.

Brian Phillips
05 Unlimited
Unread 11-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
kehoe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

what year did the sentry keys start? I have an 04 with a grey headed key but I do not believe it is sentry... is there anyway I can find out (sorry to thread highjack)
kehoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Davejb
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehoe
what year did the sentry keys start? I have an 04 with a grey headed key but I do not believe it is sentry... is there anyway I can find out (sorry to thread highjack)
The gray keys are usually sentry, the black ones are not, for the most part.

[COLOR="Blue"][B]Vote Quimby[/B][/COLOR]
Davejb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #10
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i have a `02 with the sentry system and the gray key. the owner's manual states that you must have two keys to program additional keys (i think a total of 8 is allowed). if you don't have 2, then the manual states that a dealer can do it.

we have an `98 explorer with the same set-up. a went ahead and had a third key made.

Last edited by 2jhanna; 11-23-2007 at 08:08 PM..
2jhanna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
gnfreak
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehoe
just got a 2004 tj and didnt know if i had sentry for sure so i went to the dealer and the parts guy printed out my option sheet. it has the sentry (GXX) and i only have one key. i gotta spend a little more money....oh well
gnfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
joe's_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

get it cut my the dealer, if you have one with out the responder in it you can only start the car 3 times before it wont let you anymore
The cheapest way to get a significant power increase over a stock 2.5l, would be to pull it out and put in a 5hp briggs & stratton engine.
joe's_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 03:48 AM   #13
sryan2k1
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe's_yj
get it cut my the dealer, if you have one with out the responder in it you can only start the car 3 times before it wont let you anymore

That is completely wrong.

If the key is black you don't have the sentry module and you can get a copy made anywhere, if the key cover is grey you have the module, and without two you need a dealer (or someone with a DRBII/III or a service unit for the sentry module) to reprogram the unit for the new keys.

A key that the module doesn't know will NOT start the engine, ever.
sryan2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2007, 04:11 AM   #14
newvances
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had only one sentry key (grey) and picked up a second sentry key this week from a locksmith. The new key is a little larger than the sentry key but it was 65 dollars vs 100 bucks plus tax which is what the dealer wanted.

The locksmith programmed the blank. He did not have to reprogram the vehicle..

My plan is to by another sentry key off of ebay and program it myself through the 2 key programming guide...
Unread 11-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

this is one of cheapest places i have found. if you have 2 keys, any key shop can cut it and you can do the programing as per the manual.

http://www.abclockandkey.com/catalog/i34.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.