Dumb Question: Can u buy just coil springs for a 4 inch lifted Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dumb Question: Can u buy just coil springs for a 4 inch lifted Jeep?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
Wrangler16
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Dumb Question: Can u buy just coil springs for a 4 inch lifted Jeep?

I have a really dumb question and really no where to find the answer unless someone here could help. I bought the 4 inch rough country lift kit stage ll and it rides really rough and was if there was any place where I could buy just better coil springs. Btw my jeep is a 99 jeep tj. Thanks for your help.

Unread 09-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sure you can.
I've sold BDS ones to a kid that bought 4" but couldn't get in and had to back down to 3".
2007 JK Unlimited - The wife's ride.
MAMMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
kelso1337
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Buying springs separately shouldn't be a problem.
But if you're running RC then you have the 2.2 shocks correct? Which are not your Cadillac ride shocks.
I'm sure some guys will chime in about the shocks as a potential problem of yours.

I'd personally recommend OME shocks - expensive but worth it.
kelso1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Wrangler16
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys! I actually found some Currie springs do u think they would be good to use? and i have the RC 8000 shocks i think so i will probably be upgrading them after the springs as well.
Unread 09-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

IMO you need to ask what the spring rate is. I built my lift piece by piece with hand-me-downs from club members. The springs were the only new parts I purchased. When I checked around, I was surprised by how different the spring rates were from company to company. I went with 3" BDS springs in the end...

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2010, 01:48 AM   #6
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler16 View Post
I have a really dumb question and really no where to find the answer unless someone here could help. I bought the 4 inch rough country lift kit stage ll and it rides really rough and was if there was any place where I could buy just better coil springs. Btw my jeep is a 99 jeep tj. Thanks for your help.
start with a new set of shocks first, like Bilsteins or Rancho 9000xl's the coils are not the problem, I don't care what anyone say's, the RC 2.2's are harsh in comparison, come by and I'll prove it as I have four jeeps here with popular shocks including Rancho, OME, Bilstien, RE, and the RC's which are by far the roughest riding shock of the bunch.

if you must just get coils, Currie has progressive rate 4" springs which I think are comparable or the same as the AEV/Nth degree, Yes, I've driven on both.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
surfer1120
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a RC 4" lift on my tj and i was wondering what springs i can i get to upgrade so when they settle it still is 4"
surfer1120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
PC3
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have this exact question.

I have a 4" RC X-Series lift right now. Want to replace with Currie 4" coils and Bilstein 5100's. Will they fit?

I bought 5100's from Morris4x4center that are supposedly for a Jeep with a 4" SA kit...
Unread 12-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
mukluk
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, you can swap out the coils and shocks while keeping the remaining parts of your lift.
Unread 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #10
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC3 View Post
I have this exact question.

I have a 4" RC X-Series lift right now. Want to replace with Currie 4" coils and Bilstein 5100's. Will they fit?

I bought 5100's from Morris4x4center that are supposedly for a Jeep with a 4" SA kit...
of course, you can swap them. pay attention to compressed shock length and bumpstop extension requirements.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe save yourself some money if you are staying at 4" . Get good shocks first . You will find the springs don't have as much to do with your ride as you think Control arm Joints have an effect , Track bar angle has an effect on the ride as does tire pressure ,load range. many things effect it .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
bolesr
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What tire size and air pressure are you running?
bolesr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
PC3
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ive got Bilstein 5100s sitting here waiting to be installed with the Currie springs.

And I'm going to be running 35's, installing a 1.25 BL with a 1 inch MML.

Tags
4 inch , coil , lift , springs , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.