Dumb question, but gotta ask... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dumb question, but gotta ask...

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-21-2005, 08:40 PM   #1
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dumb question, but gotta ask...

One of my friends is looking to buy a TJ that has a detroit locker in the front. It has the Warn hub kit and all that. He asked me if the detroit would affect his onroad drivabilty and I told him no since he can just keep the hubs unlocked. Did I give him correct info or not?

BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2005, 08:41 PM   #2
MCanavan

There are now dumb questions, only dumb people.
MCanavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGNUTT
One of my friends is looking to buy a TJ that has a detroit lovker in the front. It has the Warn hub kit and all that. He asked me if the detroit would affect his onroad driveabilty and I told him no since he can just keep the hubs unlocked. Did I give him correct info or not?
in 2HI it won't make a difference whether the hubs are unlocked or not, as far as drivability...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCanavan
Thats correct. You can lock and unlock the hubs manually. You should never lock your hubs onroad. If like using 4wd on dry pavement.
Ohh I know not to lock them onroad, I guess I just didn't know how the detroit works...I mean if its still gonna somehow still work with the hubs unlocked.
Unread 04-21-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
blupupher

It does not matter if the hubs are locked or not. You may get an occasional pop from the front if locked, but many people run a locker in the front with the stock hubs with no problems.
But the advice you gave him was correct.
blupupher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2005, 12:08 AM   #6
1BLKJP

It will matter with the hubs locked in and a full Detroit up front. He will noticed some wheel chirp and unload on the locker because the shafts are still turning. But with the hubs unlocked you notice no difference. By having the hubs unlocked you also save wear and tear on your front driveshaft.
1BLKJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.