Dumb, dumb question about mounting front license plate on stock bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dumb, dumb question about mounting front license plate on stock bumper

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
flagstaffjeeper

Dumb, dumb question about mounting front license plate on stock bumper

Okay, here is probably the dumbest question I have ever posted on this forum!

How am I supposed to mount a front license plate on the stock bumper on my Unlimited Rubi?

Background: I bought this Jeep in Arizona where no front plate is required. I just moved to Texas, and have registered the vehicle here, and a front plate is required. Is the stock bumper supposed to have some threaded inserts so a plate can be mounted? If so, mine doesn't have them. I just have un-threaded holes in the bumper. I can't get back behind the bumper because of the tubular cross member that runs behind it, so I can't just use a couple of bolts and nuts.

Thanks in advance for having pity on me.

Previous Jeep: 1981 CJ7, 4.2L, Muncie SM465, Dana 300 t/c, Dana 30 Front, AMC 20 Rear
flagstaffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
yj_ryn

No one runs front plates in Texas, it is just a myth.

You just have to know the secret hand shake.

I have not had a front license plate of any cars / trucks / SUVs of mine since '96 and I have not had a problem.
Unread 08-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
AustinJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perro_ryan
No one runs front plates in Texas, it is just a myth.

You just have to know the secret hand shake.

I have not had a front license plate of any cars / trucks / SUVs of mine since '96 and I have not had a problem.

Must be nice, I've been popped for it
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...A/IMG_1994.jpg
AustinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are plastic peices that pop into the holes then you can use screws to attach the license plate. Stop by your dealer I'm sure they'll have some laying around. Worst case get some larger self tapping screws and just screw it into the metal holes.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
fundabug

Yippie!!! You get to remove the front bumper so you can get some nuts behind it! This really sucks, but you could just mount it on with some self tapping metal screws or drill some holes to the far right or left and mount it that way. I'm moving to the Austin area in about 2 months and was told I have to have a front plate also. I'm right there with ya brotha!

2004 Wrangler X 4.0 I6 Solar Yellow

OK, so I messed up the quote in my sig....I was probably on the downhill side of a few beers when I did it......Somebody say something funny so I can get a new one.
fundabug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
thesherm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

not a dumb question, i had my front plate in the windshield for 3 months before i figured out a solution. go to a hardware store and get two of those (if fget what they are called) screws that have bracket around em so that as you tighten the bracket flattens and widens. you'll need to pull up on the screw as you tighten it until it is almost all the way in. I am sure there is a more expensive solution from the stealership.
Unfortunately you are one of those poor misguided folks that believes leaving the gear shift lever in one slot or another is an indication of control.

Come go for a ride and I'll be glad to demonstrate the difference between what you perceive incorrectly as "control" and what control actually is.

Pick a different reason because that one is both lame and stupid to perpetuate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Pardon me for damaging your precious reputation. It's not that I disagree, that would be a difference of opinion. This isn't subjective, it's objective, you are just wrong. If you make that statement, you are misguided. It is that simple.
thesherm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Funny, my old stock bumper had a pair of threaded plastic insets that the bolts bolted into. Maybe you could find something like that at a hardware store... Or you could get a pair from me for 25 bucks plus shipping. As a bonus, they will come with a stock bumper attached to them.
www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
tplochar

duct tape should work just fine
33x10.50 BFG A/T on 15x8 Blacked Out Cragars
A to Z Fabrication Rockers
K & N Intake
tplochar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
brgmgb
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If the dealer does not have the inserts, go to a real hardware store (where they sell nuts and bolts individually -- not in packages). They will have amber/yellow/orange boxes of different parts -- usually Jandorf products.

Find the box that has license plate screws and plastic inserts. There should be a variety of sizes. The "standard" size ones are too big, so you will be looking for some on the smaller side. You will probably have to use washers with the screws as the smaller inserts require smaller screws, with smaller heads. Even if you buy stainless steel screws, you will probably spend less than $1.
'08 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD
O|||||||O
brgmgb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
stevensinger

2006 LJ Wrangler 

thats right, if you can't duck it f.u.c.k. i.t. !!!!
stevensinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #11
thinkwoods
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Same problem moving from AZ to NY where they still run two plates as well as two ugly windshield stickers. Anyway I didn't wanna "mess up" the existing holes with oversize self-tapping screws, and plastic inserts required too small of a screw to hold the plates without washers, so I pulled the bumper off (6 bolts, no biggie), put a car store plastic frame on with nuts and bolts, then screwed the plate to the frame.
4.0L I6, 5 Speed, D30/D35, 3:73
thinkwoods is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 08:08 PM   #12
flagstaffjeeper

Thanks for all the input. Here's how it has been resolved. Went by the stealership today to see if they would just give me some inserts. The service manager there didn't have a clue what to do, so he sent me back to the parts counter. The people back at the parts counter tried to sell me some kit for $41.00 that didn't even look like it would fit a Wrangler. I asked them (with much sarcasm!) if they thought it was a good idea to spend the $41.00 on what they showed me, and they actually agreed with me that it was pretty dumb. Ended up finding some moly bolts in a drawer in my kitchen and used those and a couple of locking washers to attach the plate to the bumper. I love southern engineering.

Previous Jeep: 1981 CJ7, 4.2L, Muncie SM465, Dana 300 t/c, Dana 30 Front, AMC 20 Rear
flagstaffjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
spittindurt
2003 TJ Wrangler 

make sure it doesnt hang down below the bumper or it will bend. you would think they could make a nice plate steel license plate but nooo has to be flimsy and bindy

mines in the stock location and now has the bottom inch or so bent back under the bumper.

[CENTER][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="4"]Chrome won't getcha home![/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
spittindurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #14
afiaccone

You should have not gone through the trouble!! I have lived in Texas all of my life and I have never had a front license plate on. Now to say I have never gotten pulled over for the lack of one would be lying but I have never gotten a ticket only a couple of warnings. Most don't want to do the paperwork and if they are that big of **!!& then they would pull over modded out Jeep anyways. As long as you are not riding dirty then it is a "Thank you officer " and away you go without the hideous thing on the front.
afiaccone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #15
yj_ryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJeep
Must be nice, I've been popped for it
That is because you live in Austin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.