Dropping my Rubi's front DS? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dropping my Rubi's front DS?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-16-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Dropping my Rubi's front DS?

Ok. Should be easy... I checked Stu's site and it looks like a no-brainer. Problem is, I can't even *see* the bolts at the transfer case. Dropping the skid seems like overkill. Any pointers? Is it something I can just do by feel? If I do it blind, what about when I put it back?

Unread 08-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The way I look at it is you can do it one of two ways. You can drop the skid plate in advance to make it easy to get to the bolts. Or, you can attempt to access the bolts through the little slot in the bottom of the skid plate, round the bolts, and THEN pull the skid plate off to remove the rounded bolts. Your call.

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dropping the skid isn't as big a job as it sounds. I was wary too of dropping it to install a TC linkage, but I have since dropped it multiple times for aftermarket skids. Its only 6 bolts on the frame and 4 on the transmission mount. Use a jack to lower the skid and a jackstand to support the tranny.

My nutserts were OK, but my TJ is a southern jeep so not much rust to speak of.
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You don't necessarily need to drop the skid completely. I loosened (but did not remove) the three passenger side skid bolts, and then removed the three driver side bolts with my floor jack temporarily supporting the driver's side of the skid. With a jack stand supporting the transmission, I carefully lowered the floor jack a few inches, until I could reach over the driver's side of the skid (between the skid and the frame) to access the DS bolts. At that point the DS bolts were easy to see and easy to reach. I didn't disconnect any electrical or air connections to the locker pumps, but I was very careful not to lower too far and stretch anything.

Worked like a charm, and probably a lot easier that dropping the entire skid.

Since you have a Rubi, remember the locker pump connections whichever route you take..

Last edited by rouxbicon; 08-27-2010 at 11:43 AM..
rouxbicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Alternatively, is there a place to tie up the frond end of the shaft if I unbolt it? I'm trying to track down a noise and I just need to take the DS u-joints out of the equation for a drive around the block. (Sorry if it sounds like I'm being lazy, I'm just trying to use my few bits of "free" time as efficiently as possible.)
Unread 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
AZJeepNewbie
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiOR View Post
Alternatively, is there a place to tie up the frond end of the shaft if I unbolt it? I'm trying to track down a noise and I just need to take the DS u-joints out of the equation for a drive around the block. (Sorry if it sounds like I'm being lazy, I'm just trying to use my few bits of "free" time as efficiently as possible.)
Oh yeah, piece of cake. I bungied it up to something, I forget. Maybe it was the motor mount. Anything will work. Just don't forget to tape the bearing caps up real good so you don't lose one.

BTW, you didn't happen to regear recently, did you?

"Confidence is that feeling you have before you fully understand the situation."
AZJeepNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJeepNewbie View Post
Oh yeah, piece of cake. I bungied it up to something, I forget. Maybe it was the motor mount. Anything will work.

BTW, you didn't happen to regear recently, did you?
No, sadly. We got into some disgusting and deep mud Saturday and he started chirping Sunday. We cleaned it good and I'm going to hit everything with PB when I het home in a couple of hours. If it's still talking to me tomorrow I'll disco the front of the DS and see if it stops.
Unread 08-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it started chirping after driving through deep mud, it could just be the front driveshaft's rear CV joint that is squeaking from the dried on mud having gotten inside. Try flushing the joint out (no need to disassemble it) with a copious amount (lots) of WD-40.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

It got quiet on the way home -- same as yesterday. I flooded all of the joints up front, including the CV, with PBlaster. It's a bear getting to the backside of the CV. If it's still making noise tomorrow I'll move on to some detailed troubleshooting & try to narrow it down. I'm leaning towards the dried-mud theory as well. It didn't make a peep on the drive home from the trail or around town later that night. It only started the next morning and, in general, only seems to show up after sitting for several hours.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll update as I learn more. I know all the squeeks & peeps my Jeep makes and I don't like it when new ones show up uninvited :-)
Unread 08-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would drop the t-case so you can have adequate access to unbolt the CV from the t-case. That way you can flush it while flexing and moving the CV around to help get rid of the dried dirt that can make it squeak. It has happened to me and a simple but thorough flushing resolved it.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
bojang
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I never take my skid off. You can put a socket on two bolts easily, remove the bolts from the front, turn the shaft 180 degrees, remove the last two bolts. Takes me 15 minutes to remove the shaft, grease it, and replace it.

Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that I ask for.

Never trust a lumpy fart.
bojang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just a quick follow-up. I hosed down the moving parts up front with PBlaster Monday evening and the noise seems to be gone. I'm sure, as Jerry suggested, it was just caked-up gunk from the mud bath. As soon as I get enough free time I still plan to drop the driveshaft & give it a more thorough cleaning. Thanks all!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.