dropped hard top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > dropped hard top

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
Jones23
2005 TJ Wrangler 

dropped hard top

Soooo, my hard top was dropped. This happened in the spring while removing it and was immediately put into the pretend it didnt happen part of my brain. So the back corner was compressed... no cracks running up and no damage to the side or windows, just about an inch or so of the back is dammaged.
Has any one ever dealt with this? Will it be an easy fix (do it myself) or should I bring it into a dodge dealer? or I've seen online that some people have brought it to boat repair shops (strange, but Ive seen stranger)??? and How costly do you think this will be?

Back ground on me... I'm fairly handy but have never worked with fiberglass at all and would have to buy most tools (moved accross the country and left pretty

I will definitely be more patient and wait for the appropriate friends to help next year!! So hard to wait!

oh and just in case... its a 2005 jeep and a factory top... I hear they arent made of straight fiberglass?

Thanks in advance. I'm still a baby when it comes to jeeps... wanted one since I was a kid, finally got this one a year ago. Lots to learn!

Jones23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
AtomicDog
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm halfway joking here, but there's a lot you can hide/fix with diamond plate aluminum and some rivets or bolts.
AtomicDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The hard tops are made of SMC, not fiberglass. With that said, I repaired my hard top with fiberglass resin jelly.

Bondo fiberglass resin jelly is the name of the product. I also mixed in diced up fiberglass mat to thicken it up. Follow the directions and apply liberally. Then use a sander or Dremel tool to remove the excess fiberglass and shape it accordingly. Then paint it. Easy breezy. :-)
blubaru2002 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
grnd93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Repaired a similar crack in mine with some 2-part epoxy. Used a dremel to open up the cracks, epoxied it, sanded and paint.
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Jones23
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you! Sounds like I can do it myself... As for it not being fibreglass... Guess you can't always believe what you read on the Internet
Jones23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones23 View Post
Thank you! Sounds like I can do it myself... As for it not being fibreglass... Guess you can't always believe what you read on the Internet
Keep digging with your internet search. There are a few that didn't believe they weren't fiberglass, repaired them with conventional fiberglass methods and then later had to recant their statements of easy peasy successful repair.

They are indeed manufactured from SMC and do require the use of SMC specific products and repair compounds which are typically not polyester based but instead, epoxy based.

Put another way, RTV silicone will stick to the steel body of your Jeep. You can tear up some steel wool, mix it up with some RTV and stuff it into the next dent you get, take a grinder to it and knock it down until it matches the contours, squirt some rattle can paint on it, but that don't mean you actually repaired it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.