Dropped Dash screw down defrost vent - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Dropped Dash screw down defrost vent

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 04-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #1
bigwave

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Dropped Dash screw down defrost vent

Last night while putting center dash part back over radio and climate controls I dropped the darn screw down the vent, stupid magnetic screwdriver gave me too much confidence. Is there any way without tearing dash apart to look for it and possibly get it back? I heard it rattle all the way down like a pinball. I fished around with a magnetic wand but did not catch anything. I don't think it can get to fan motor/blade but if I have to listen to it rattle I will go nuts. Any ideas? Thanks

bigwave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #2
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Small magnet on a long string? Drop it in and let it bounce down and roll around. Hopefully it winds up next to the screw and you can fish it out.
MATT99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #3
bigwave

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I tried a magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT99TJ View Post
Small magnet on a long string? Drop it in and let it bounce down and roll around. Hopefully it winds up next to the screw and you can fish it out.
That's a good thought, I did try a magnet but it was not on a string. I also have a fiber camera for looking in walls, pipes, etc. I fished it down there and could not see the darn thing.
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
dtperk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I was able to 'grab' a bran-new wheel bearing using a string and a Rare Earth (Neodime (sp?)) magnet down a 4" floor drain this way! Actually surprised me it worked!

Needless to say, the drain got a cover/grate that same evening....
(RIP) '82 CJ-7 | AMC 4.2 (.30 Over), T-4 / D300 | D30 Front - LockRight, AMC20 Rear - ARB, Moser Axles / 4.10s | York Air Setup - 2.5 Gal Reserve, QD's Frt/Rr | 2.5" SUA, 1.5" Shackle & .75" Body | 4WDH Glass Tub, Fenders & Hood | Stainless all the way around | 33" BFG MTs
dtperk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry about it unless you fish a magnet or take the box out and take it apart.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #6
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtperk View Post
I was able to 'grab' a bran-new wheel bearing using a string and a Rare Earth (Neodime (sp?)) magnet down a 4" floor drain this way! Actually surprised me it worked!
Neodymium...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet
Unread 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #7
Toby36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would leave it and see if it even rattles first. Maybe try turning the control knobs to all positions and see if u can get it to drop to the bottom then see if you can stick something through the floor vents to get it
Toby36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
bigwave

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think I now have a bigger problem, I can't hear the door move anymore that changes between inside and outside air. I'm wondering if the dam thing has lodged in there some how. I've looked for a diagram showing where that door is and if there is a easy way to access it. But, I can't seem to find anything showing me this info.
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
dtperk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

As previously suggested, probably time to pull the air box assy out... Great time to swap heater core and do a blower fan upgrade, AND........ Get your screw back! (it's not a hard job), just time consuming and some contortion of your body under/behind the dash - - I'm with ya, put a head unit (el-cheap-o) in two weekends ago..... Reminded me...... I'm getting old
Unread 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #10
dtperk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Thank you!
(RIP) '82 CJ-7 | AMC 4.2 (.30 Over), T-4 / D300 | D30 Front - LockRight, AMC20 Rear - ARB, Moser Axles / 4.10s | York Air Setup - 2.5 Gal Reserve, QD's Frt/Rr | 2.5" SUA, 1.5" Shackle & .75" Body | 4WDH Glass Tub, Fenders & Hood | Stainless all the way around | 33" BFG MTs
Unread 04-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
Toby36
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This might sound like a stupid question but is the vehicle on while u are trying to turn the flappers. If i remember correctly all the doors hang down so i dont think a little screw would jam them
Toby36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #12
bigwave

2004 TJ Wrangler 

ignition is on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby36 View Post
This might sound like a stupid question but is the vehicle on while u are trying to turn the flappers. If i remember correctly all the doors hang down so i dont think a little screw would jam them
Yes, ignition is on. I'm going to get it back together, hopefully, this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.