Drop Pitman Arm on 3" lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Drop Pitman Arm on 3" lift?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
TwistedDrum5
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Drop Pitman Arm on 3" lift?

I know this gets covered a lot, but I feel like I have special circumstances that usually don't get brought up.

It's a 2004 LJ and this weekend I will be doing the classic junkyard lift with V8 XJ Springs and putting my front springs in the rear. This thread is not about whether that's a good idea or not, so please don't' comment on that.

I already have One ton steering, and stock track bar.

My understanding is that if I use a trac bar bracket on the top of the trac bar then I will need a drop pitman arm.

As of right now I am planning on using the bracket at the bottom of the trac bar (front bracket is on the right)

I feel like if I use both the DPA and the trac bar relocation bracket its really going to screw things up. But maybe I'm just crazy.

Should I use the DPA or not?

EDIT:

If you look in this picture, pushing the trac bar to the right from the bottom of the bracket will give it a steeper angle. Then if I put the DPA on it would give the drag link a less steep angle. The angles would be really off, causing crappy driving conditions, right? I realize the pic is not one ton steering, which is why I decided to make a thread.

CHRISTIAN JEEP member #173
TwistedDrum5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just went through this with my lift...if you use a front track bar relocation bracket then you need to use a drop pitman arm. I was lazy and didnt want to pull my old one off so i tried it without it and had a large amount of bump steer...put the arm on and bump steer was gone.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon Intense Blue- 4" Rough Country X-Series lift - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Currie RockJock V-Bumper and Rock Crawler Rear bumper - Badlands 12K winch - Tom Woods DS - KC Slimlites - KC Headlight conversion with 4300K HID - 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2 on Rubicon Wheels
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
TwistedDrum5
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepson33s View Post
I just went through this with my lift...if you use a front track bar relocation bracket then you need to use a drop pitman arm. I was lazy and didnt want to pull my old one off so i tried it without it and had a large amount of bump steer...put the arm on and bump steer was gone.
Now im worried about using that bracket. Reading some bad things on here about it. That bracket actually attaches to the bottom mount, not the top. Is that the same one you used?
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

thats the key thing here read ...........
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

On 3" of lift you don't need a DPA or a drop bracket with your TB. You'll be fine not using either one of them
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
TwistedDrum5
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Would putting a DPA on hurt it? I ask because I have the opportunity to get a DPA for free for my stock one. Eventually I'll probabaly go a full 4/4.5in kit. But don't want to put parts on now that are only going to hurt me in the long run.
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

and the same for a 4" , no matter how many Rough Country or any one else puts in the box without a track bar drop bracket for the frame end
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Installing a dropped Pitman arm when the right angles requiring a DPA are not present will result in bump steer... unwanted left/right steering in response to the front suspension cycling up/down.

A dropped Pitman arm is only needed when you have dropped the driver's side (upper end) of the track bar. That lowers the driver's side of both of them, keeping the track bar and drag link parallel (the never ending goal) with each other.

If you were to use a passenger-side drop bracket for the drag link, as that bracket is for, a bad idea no matter how you look at it, that means you absolutely cannot drop the Pitman arm.

The goal is to keep the track bar and drag link parallel. Period. If you drop the top end of one, you have to drop the top-end of the other to keep them parallel. Following so far? So if you drop the passenger side of the track bar via that bracket, a bad idea anyway, then that means you would need to drop the passenger-side of the drag link (which you can't do) to keep them parallel.

Non-parallel trackbars and drag links mean bump steer.

Leave well enough alone, don't install that bracket and don't install a dropped Pitman arm. The ONLY time you should install a dropped Pitman arm is when you have dropped the upper/driver's side of the track bar.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Jeepson33s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used the upper bracket that moves the aftermarket adjustable track bar down and so the steering line has to go down with it to prevent bump steer. I understand it as if the track bar goes down (imaginary line) then so does the steering. I have never seen one like that...i have seen people drill holes in the stock track bar location to center up the axle with a smaller lift.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon Intense Blue- 4" Rough Country X-Series lift - Bilstein 5100 Shocks - Currie RockJock V-Bumper and Rock Crawler Rear bumper - Badlands 12K winch - Tom Woods DS - KC Slimlites - KC Headlight conversion with 4300K HID - 285/75/16 BFG MT KM2 on Rubicon Wheels
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
TwistedDrum5
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Installing a dropped Pitman arm when the right angles requiring a DPA are not present will result in bump steer... unwanted left/right steering in response to the front suspension cycling up/down.

A dropped Pitman arm is only needed when you have dropped the driver's side (upper end) of the track bar. That lowers the driver's side of both of them, keeping the track bar and drag link parallel (the never ending goal) with each other.

If you were to use a passenger-side drop bracket for the drag link, as that bracket is for, a bad idea no matter how you look at it, that means you absolutely cannot drop the Pitman arm.

The goal is to keep the track bar and drag link parallel. Period. If you drop the top end of one, you have to drop the top-end of the other to keep them parallel. Following so far? So if you drop the passenger side of the track bar via that bracket, a bad idea anyway, then that means you would need to drop the passenger-side of the drag link (which you can't do) to keep them parallel.

Non-parallel trackbars and drag links mean bump steer.

Leave well enough alone, don't install that bracket and don't install a dropped Pitman arm. The ONLY time you should install a dropped Pitman arm is when you have dropped the upper/driver's side of the track bar.
Thank you Jerry, and everyone else who helped.

Looks like I will not be using the bracket, and I won't be switching Pitman arms out.
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #11
TwistedDrum5
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Even with the One Ton steering ill get bump steer? Trying to help a friend out who needs to get rid of his drop pitman arm for a stock one. But I don't wan't to do it if its going to hurt me.
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't use the drop pitman unless you are going to lift yours about 5.5" or taller and use the fore mentioned drop track bar bracket
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's how you want the trackbar and draglink relationship. PERIOD. Mine are both straight so it makes it easier to see but even with a bent trackbar and draglink... you would draw a line through the joints creating the straight line then they need to be parallel.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDrum5 View Post
Even with the One Ton steering ill get bump steer?
This is a matter of geometry, not tonnage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedDrum5 View Post
Trying to help a friend out who needs to get rid of his drop pitman arm for a stock one. But I don't wan't to do it if its going to hurt me.
Why do you think he wants to get rid of it?
You can pick up a stock pitman arm all day for $20 on Ebay. If he needs it that bad, then tell him to go buy it. A DPA is absolutely not needed with your setup, assuming your angles are already good with the stock mounting points.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Must-Be-A-Stang
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
will result in bump steer... unwanted left/right steering in response to the front suspension cycling up/down.
Jerry,

Can you explain this? It sounds like an issue I may be having and wondering if I need to look at my trackbar and draglink relationship
Must-Be-A-Stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.