Driving without ring and pinion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driving without ring and pinion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
wizwoz

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Driving without ring and pinion

Well, broke my ring gear in my front D30, luckily I can still roll forward, but not back. Pulled into my garage and opened up the diff:

Since I cannot back out of the garage, and I am not equipped to fix the broken gears, I could pull them out and reinsert the inner axles so I can drive it to a shop. Is this possible?

image-2533865662.jpg

wizwoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
rda616
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pull the axle shafts. Remove the carrier. Remove the ring gear from the carrier and reinstall the carrier. You can than reinstall the shafts. Be sure to remove the front driveshaft until your gears are replaced. Be sure to put gear lube back in the axle. The spider gears will not be happy if you don't.
rda616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alternatively you could pull the shafts and re install with just the stub shafts, but just pulling the rear gear would probably be faster than dealing with the u joints.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
wizwoz

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Cool! I wasn't sure I could run inner axles without the carrier. This might be necessary out on the trail, though I got lucky and was able to drive home.
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwoz
Cool! I wasn't sure I could run inner axles without the carrier. This might be necessary out on the trail, though I got lucky and was able to drive home.
Just to be clear, you cannot run the inner axle shafts without the carrier (the part that the ring gear is attached to)
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you have a floor jack on wheels, just jack up the front then back the Jeep out. Spin it around with the jack and drive it to the shop.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #7
wizwoz

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wow. I've never tried to move the vehicle with the jack. I was thinking of a floor jack under each front tire, but then I would need... Another floor jack. Ok better just tear into it. If it has more internal damage I may replace the whole thing anyway.
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
BigRodney
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hey just for our information what brand ring and pinion are you running and how did you break it? If you're not heard correctly maybe nows the time.
BigRodney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #9
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

take the ring gear off the carrier.put the carrier back in.put axles back in. add oil for the bearings and you can drive it that way. my friend drove home from mexico like that but his was a rear axle broke. since the ring gear will be gone you just need oil for the bearings. any ol 10w40 or whatever you have will lube the bearings fine.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

QUOTE=durango-bob;24038466]If you have a floor jack on wheels, just jack up the front then back the Jeep out. Spin it around with the jack and drive it to the shop.[/QUOTE]

Unread 07-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
wizwoz

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure the brand (Yukon?) but it was installed by a professional and he does not use junk. I broke it no doubt by pulling backwards on a snatch strap repeatedly to pull a buddy out of a river. The wrangler is too light and dances around on the end of a snatch strap. The gears may have gotten chewed by that because I drove all the way back to the trailhead before discovering I could not back up. When I opened up the diff there was no large chunks, just a silvery fluid, so it looks like it just chewed itself up. Someone suggested the carrier might have moved around and misaligned.
Unread 07-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #12
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I carry a pair of stubs that have the yoke busted or stretched out to the point the caps slip in. yank both shafts and install the spare stubs to hold the unit bearings together. theres no need to even pull the cover or drive shaft. no spares? so what, itll cost you a couple axle joints if you mess them up getting the stubs off.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
I carry a pair of stubs that have the yoke busted or stretched out to the point the caps slip in. yank both shafts and install the spare stubs to hold the unit bearings together. theres no need to even pull the cover or drive shaft. no spares? so what, itll cost you a couple axle joints if you mess them up getting the stubs off.
I have a spare set of shafts that I kept from my LP when I swapped them in. Essentially when I break one that is what I am going to do (if I don't get chromo before that)
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #14
wizwoz

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Follow up: Pulled the axles, got the carrier out and removed the ring gear, put it all back together and I have a rear wheel drive Jeep. Yes, you can drive without a ring gear just fine. Shop quoted me $1400 to rebuild the whole thing, looking for other options.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.