Driving with out front drive shaft? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driving with out front drive shaft?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Driving with out front drive shaft?

Finally removed my front drive shaft to R&R the squeaky sparrows and was wondering if it will be ok to drive the Jeep with the front shaft removed? The only thing I am worried about is lubrication in the TC with the front yoke not spinning. I figure the input or rear output shafts must provide most of the lubrication in the case. TIA!!

Unread 12-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #2
ludinator

you'll be fine, i've done it for months.
ludinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
rampage223
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about it. This past weekend I drove around without mine until I got the front driveshaft overhauled for the same problem.
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:39 AM   #4
jeeparoo
2008 JK Wrangler 

if you are worried about lubing the front yoke bearing just put the TC in 4 hi
-Christopher
97 TJ Sahara 5sp soft top - mudded,sanded,rocked,sunk(sold)
00 TJ Sport 5 sp soft top - mudded, rolled in a blizzard{no damage except top} (sold)
02 TJ Sport auto soft top - roadtripped,mudded (sold)
06 TJ gold eagle 6 sp soft top- not enough room (sold)

Number 10 million of the 'I Love my JeeP' Club
jeeparoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeparoo
if you are worried about lubing the front yoke bearing just put the TC in 4 hi
-Christopher
The TJ's t-case front output bearing is only spinning when it's being spun by the front driveshaft. This is because the TJ's NP231 t-case does not power the front yoke in 2wd since the TJ's NP231 provides a true neutral for the front output shaft when it's in 2wd. This is different from the older NP231 used in the YJ which does continually spin the front output shaft and bearing even when in 2wd.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
The TJ's t-case front output bearing is only spinning when it's being spun by the front driveshaft. This is because the TJ's NP231 t-case does not power the front yoke in 2wd since the TJ's NP231 provides a true neutral for the front output shaft when it's in 2wd. This is different from the older NP231 used in the YJ which does continually spin the front output shaft and bearing even when in 2wd.
Thanks for the info.... Mine is the 241 (Rubicon) and the biggest thing I was worried about was everything else would still get lubed ok,,,but looks like the oil pump must drive off the rear output or the main input shaft. Yes mine is a positive disconnect on the front TC output, after I removed the driveshaft, the yoke spun freely. Thanks again!!
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:36 PM   #7
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Sparrows are dead

Got my front drive shaft put back in today with all new joints including the centering ball assembly. When I pulled it off, the centering ball looked good, nice and clean with plenty of grease in it. I had it rebuilt anyway since I didn't want it puking on me in the middle of Winter here. He said everything looked good, well that's my luck. I did notice most of the u-caps were pretty shiny like they were working around in the yokes. I couldn't really tell how tight the bolts were with the factory locktite on them. Guess I have piece of mind if nothing else and a CV joint I can grease now!!
Unread 12-21-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
jeep06
2015 KL Cherokee 

Just wanted to say after a few days the sparrows are still sleeping and to tell everyone I finally upgraded my account. I feel better already helping out the forum and now I can do some of the neat things on here!! Merry Christmas fellow Jeepers!!!!
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
deco

Back to the original question.....Will driving without the front drive shaft in stalled for a long period of time do any damage?
deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #10
FLATFENDER54
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deco
Back to the original question.....Will driving without the front drive shaft in stalled for a long period of time do any damage?
you will be fine
FLATFENDER54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What's a long period? I drove without mine in for about +/- 4 months last year.
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no you'll be fine
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
kizer

Guys with Warn hubs up front dont spin the front shaft at all when the hubs are unlocked. I wouldn't worry about it. Dont shift into 4hi thou. Unless you like the grinding, screaming cry from your T-Case.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer
Guys with Warn hubs up front dont spin the front shaft at all when the hubs are unlocked. I wouldn't worry about it. Dont shift into 4hi thou. Unless you like the grinding, screaming cry from your T-Case.
All very true.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #15
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer
Dont shift into 4hi thou. Unless you like the grinding, screaming cry from your T-Case.
That scared me when I did that without realizing my front hubs were still unlocked. I had to sit for a few moments to think through what was happening before I figured out nothing was really wrong. It scared the crap out of me.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.