Driveshaft Vibration worse after 4 in lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Driveshaft Vibration worse after 4 in lift

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
jeepjeepjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Driveshaft Vibration worse after 4 in lift

I have an 05 TJ jeep wrangler that went from a 2 in lift to a 4 in rough country lift after the original 2 in lift I noticed a slight driveshaft vibration. Nothing major I lived with it for several months. I decided to step up to a 4 in lift. Once the lift was completed including the transfer case skid being dropped and the shifter extension was completed the vehicle was aligned. I found that I have a severe rear vibration.
I was told trying a Slip Yoke eliminator and CV driveshaft should solve the problem. I went this route after removing thr rear drive shaft and test driving no vibration at all. So after several more hundred invested. I now have the SYE and CV driveshaft installed I removed the skid case drop and the shifter extension since in the instructions for the lift it said neither were needed if an SYE and CV driveshaft were installed. The vibration is less but not to the point I could live with it. The vibration changes in sound and intensity depending on the speed I am going. I have also noticed a knocking sound going over speed bumps. Any thoughts or info would be much appreciated

Last edited by jeepjeepjeep; 03-26-2010 at 09:49 AM..
jeepjeepjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm no expert in this department, but the SYE should have done the trick I think. Is your pinion angle pretty agressive? Every jeep is different even with the same parts, so maybe a motor mount lift is the final piece of the vibe puzzle for you.

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

What is your pinion angle and what is your drive-shaft angle? How are your u-joints? Good chance the knocking is from your T-case shifter linkage.
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
BLATMAN
2002 TJ Wrangler 

i just put the rc 4in lift on this past weekend. i did the tcase drop for now, there is a slight vibe but i didnt need the shifter extension either. it worked w/o it just fine. i also went from a 2in skyjacker b.b. Make sure u re-torqued everything and the new trac bar bracket is tight. it shouldnt vibe that bad, esp w the sye. good luck
33x12.5 General AT Grabbers
[B][COLOR="Black"]Pro Comp black steelies[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][__][/B]
OlllllO[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"][QUOTE]I think you should put a CAI, Headers, new muffler.. some high flow cats... maybe one of those trail jammer chips.. oh and a tb spacer... can't forget that. You will be passing prius' in no time, unless their accel pedal is stuck..[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
BLATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
BLATMAN
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
What is your pinion angle and what is your drive-shaft angle? How are your u-joints? Good chance the knocking is from your T-case shifter linkage.
Jeep TJ Transfer Case Shifter Knocking TSB thats the link to fix the knocking...
33x12.5 General AT Grabbers
[B][COLOR="Black"]Pro Comp black steelies[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][B][__][/B]
OlllllO[/COLOR][COLOR="DarkRed"][QUOTE]I think you should put a CAI, Headers, new muffler.. some high flow cats... maybe one of those trail jammer chips.. oh and a tb spacer... can't forget that. You will be passing prius' in no time, unless their accel pedal is stuck..[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
BLATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
rideraa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

For vibes see below, I agree with the linkage and knocking possibility ^^^.
You may need adjustible control arms. The stock drive shaft arrangement wants the t case output and diff pinion parallel. Using the the SYE/CV set up the rear pinion and driveshaft should be a straight line with all the angle/direction change at the t case connection. Ussally you need adjustable control arms to get the SYE/CV geometry correct.

Go to Tom Woods drive shaft site for some diagrams of the above info.
Unread 03-26-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've done 4 of the RC 4" lifts on 5 speeds,6 speed and auto.On all of them,all vbes were completely gone with a MML and only a 1/2-3/4" t case drop.No SYE or adjustable CA's.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideraa View Post
For vibes see below, I agree with the linkage and knocking possibility ^^^.
You may need adjustible control arms. The stock drive shaft arrangement wants the t case output and diff pinion parallel. Using the the SYE/CV set up the rear pinion and driveshaft should be a straight line with all the angle/direction change at the t case connection. Ussally you need adjustable control arms to get the SYE/CV geometry correct.

Go to Tom Woods drive shaft site for some diagrams of the above info.

Click free for you.............

Did your lift kit include upper adjustable control arms? Between the upper adj control arms, the SYE, and possibly a MML, you shouldn't have any vibes.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
jeepjeepjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for all of the great responses I have received

The 4 in rough country lift did not come with adjustable control arms. The sye and cv drive shaft were the suggested install after I installed the 4inlift and the vibrations got much worse.
I am just wondering if it would be best to correct the pinion angle first? I have not measured it but just eyeballing it I can see it is not a nice straight line as shown in the diagram .I believe there are shims to correct this? Not sure what they are called but in sifting through other members with the same problem they are commenting about needing 6 or 8 on the shims to match up with a 4 in lift
If I need a motor mount lift and adjustable control arms what size for the motor mount would be recommended to match up with a 4 in lift
So which angle of attack should I follow first? Pinion or MML
jeepjeepjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
kolky
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Another item to check is the track bar. Do you have an adjustable one? Make sure it is torqued correctly and that your axle is centered. When I bought my jeep it still had the stock trackbar with a 4" lift. When I replaced the dana 35 with an 8.8 and still used that trackbar it caused my axle to be pulled about a 1/4" to the passenger side and that caused a lot of vibration.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]Yellow Jeep Club #1224[/SIZE][/COLOR]
kolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

All jeeps are different.

With that said: You still need to fix your pinion angles. The Double Cardan DS and SYE aren't doing what they were meant to do unless you get your angles correct.
blubaru2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepjeep View Post

The 4 in rough country lift did not come with adjustable control arms. The sye and cv drive shaft were the suggested install after I installed the 4inlift and the vibrations got much worse.
I am just wondering if it would be best to correct the pinion angle first? I have not measured it but just eyeballing it I can see it is not a nice straight line as shown in the diagram .I believe there are shims to correct this? Not sure what they are called but in sifting through other members with the same problem they are commenting about needing 6 or 8 on the shims to match up with a 4 in lift
If I need a motor mount lift and adjustable control arms what size for the motor mount would be recommended to match up with a 4 in lift
You have an SYE, therefore you need to adjust your pinion angle with adjustable control arms. A MML may or may not help, it depends what your pinion angle currently is. The MML will only change the output shaft angle, NOT the pinion angle. The reason you do a SYE/CV is so the driveshaft can tolerate more severe output shaft angles, after you align the pinion angle.

Read this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...ml#post8636577
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
shawn1980
1999 TJ Wrangler 

subscribed
green jeep club member #122
shawn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

A set of adjustable upper control arms are needed to adjust the pinion angle. You could do it with lower adjustable, but since you need to buy some uppers will be cheaper. You have done most of the work, but you have to set the pinion angle correctly to see the result you want. Once you do that you will be way happier with what you did vs. going the MML route.

Pinion Angle Alignment - 1
Benderff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #15
sbninja
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepjeep View Post

As posted above, you need to get some rear upper adjustable control arms and adjust your rear pinion angle - as in the picture above. The MML Is used when doing a body lift, it also helps with driveline angle. The MML alone, will not cure your driveline vibration issues.
15x8 Tech1 Rock Crawlers (4.5" BS)
35"x12.50x15 Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers
Aussie locked 30/ Ultimate 35 kit w/detroit

Black Jeep Club v2.0 Member #49
See Jeep Here
And here
sbninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.