driveshaft questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > driveshaft questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
GUS672
1999 TJ Wrangler 

driveshaft questions

I am in the middle of my 5.2 swap into my 99 and I am worried about driveshaft vibrations. My questions are.. How do I make sure my driveshafts are straight(not going to bind), are not going to be to long or short? I have the advance adapter mounts welded in the dowel hole spots, swap header and a NV3500. Im confused because people say to get headers, so you don't have to get driveshaft modications... but the mounts weld in one spot Does welding them in the "holes" put you in the right location for correct driveshaft lengths? Any help is greatly appreciated, I love my TJ and dont want it to be a hassle to drive

GUS672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There are other more important factors when considering where to put the motor.

You need enough room for the cooling fan and radiator and you also need enough room around the firewall.

The driveshaft lengths are more of a result of the whole project.
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
GUS672
1999 TJ Wrangler 

As of this moment I have the engine frame mounts tacked on the frame in the dowel locations with the engine sitting on them(with the help of my lift),trans and transfer on their said mounts as well. Radiator is in with at least 3 inches between it and front of water pump. My driveshafts reach the differencials, I am just wanting to make sure they don't pull out or jamb in over bumps. I also don't want any vibrations, so I was curious on how to measure them ie side to side and such.. thanks again
Unread 07-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
mschviuz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How much did you move your tranny/transfer case? Are you within the slots of the skid which gives you around an inch forward or back? If so, when I did my swap, I slid my tranny up to the front of the slots on the skid and I have my motor off centered towards the passenger side and I haven't had any problems with either of the driveshafts. That being said, I do have an sye ordered but I needed to do that a long time ago, but didn't. I'm ready to get my tc back up and get the ds angles right.
mschviuz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
GUS672
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had to make a new plate to mount the NV3500 to the skid plate. I made a 1/4 inch plate and welded the 4 bolt through it so it would bolt tto the skid plate, then drilled a hole for the trans mount. I really have no front to back movement due to the motor mount design, so that worries me. I don't know if it is correct. All I have is the side to side swing of the slots on the trans mount., beside the 'swing" to one side of the engine due to 1 side being slotted.

Tags
driveshaft length , motor swap , engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.