driveshaft problem with 4'' inch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > driveshaft problem with 4'' inch

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
mattymac712
1998 TJ Wrangler 

driveshaft problem with 4'' inch

i was wondering what I should do, Im told that my front driveshaft is now too long because I lifted my jeep. i put a four inch lift in with 33's. What happened was is that i was getting this wicked squeking noise every revolution of the driveshaft it seemed. My mechanic told me that the joints in the driveshaft were junk and that it might be worth it to get a new driveshaft instead of having those joints replaced, because it could just happen again potentially. Does it make sense that the front driveshaft could be too long now that the vehicle is lifted? Would a longer driveshaft and a slip yoke correct this problem? does the rear driveshaft need to be addressed also???

mattymac712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No need for a longer driveshaft. Replace the cv-joint and new u-joints!
There is already a fixed yoke on the front output of the transfer case.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-5.htm

Ohh... and I'd find a better mechanic.
2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
TanTJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
T2000J
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You should do a SYE and new shaft for the rear but the front should be fine I ran my stock front shaft for a year with my 4" .
Look up angry Sparrows the front shaft is already a fixed .
Dose he have your caster right ?
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/driv...iveshaft-1.htm
T2000J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
RDaniel2405
TJ with JK Wheels

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTJ04 View Post
^^^^X2^^^^
RDaniel2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
x3
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Jaminjer
2003 TJ Wrangler 

wouldnt raising the vehicle make the drive shaft shorter?
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
mudb8
want it rite or rite now?

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Suspension travel is in a radius.... more down travel from longer shocks makes the front shaft to LONG @ full droop on short arms when the axle is hanging from the rig. For example, when your tech had the jeep on the post lift to remove the shaft, it has to be pryed out or have the axle jacked up a few inches to remove it from the diff yoke....

Nothing wrong with your mechanic, just needs to learn to use a jack or pull the shaft with the tires on the ground.

It is a problem if you are jumping your jeep.. if it doesn't get jumped, put new joints in the factory shaft.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars
DIY highline fenders.... 34-37's under 0"-2.5" lifts
shock length, bumpstop extension, tire size chart click here
DIY shock shifters, more uptravel/better ride

2011 E-350 4x4 Van conversion

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

ASE Certified Master Tech/Fabricator @ jeepwest.com
mudb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudb8 View Post
Nothing wrong with your mechanic, just needs to learn to use a jack or pull the shaft with the tires on the ground.
He suggested buying a new driveshaft to cure angry sparrows?!? Yeah, spend $300 on a new shaft instead of $90 for a new CV and u-joints.

And a stock driveshaft is fine length wise on a 4" lift, (like stated though) long travel shocks cause an issue.
2004 TJ X 5spd, 30-Aussie locker and Chromo'd, 44-lsd & disc brakes, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, 1.25" bl, UCF 1" skid & Lo-pro mount, AA SYE, JKS MML, ZJ V8 Tierod, JKS Trackbars, smittybuilt winch w/ synthetic line, Caravan fuel injectors, CAI, TB spacer, flowmaster 44 2.5", 35x12.50x15 km2, 7" fenders, uniden cb
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

He suggested buying a new driveshaft to cure angry sparrows?!? Yeah, spend $300 on a new shaft instead of $90 for a new CV and u-joints.

And a stock driveshaft is fine length wise on a 4" lift, (like stated though) long travel shocks cause an issue.
10" travel shocks not just long travel, on the front of a tj will bottom out the slip joints and use the t-case as a bumpstop. Some 2.5" and 3.5" lifts run 10" travel shocks.

The mechanic, was not wrong, it is too long for the current application.
Some of us choose to run them anyway. When the OP decides to jump his jeep or accidently takes a woop to fast, the OP could likely be replacing a t-case instead of a couple u-joints.
When a shaft is too long, shorten it. The cost is minimal compared to a shaft that is too short or buying all new joint and cv's unless they are toast anyhow, or replacing the joints and buying a long arm upgrade to avoid a correct length shaft to run on the current short arms... or buy a set of shorter shocks.

Shops are not open to help the do-it-yourself crowd. They are there to make money so the doors can stay open. When I myself can get away with selling parts instead of spending hours I can't legitimately charge for pollishing a turd, I do so.

Occasionally, I will screw up a seal putting together a spicer joint. Guess who gets to buy the second one?... ya, me, what might happen if I knowngly install a shaft that is too long and the rig comes back with a busted t-case?
BTW, I have a 241 case that is busted, wonder how that happend?

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 09-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So a shorter driveshaft is the answer? How is a stock shaft fine with stock arms? Most lifts have longer control arms to reposition the axle close to stock. Does the arc of the wheel change that much? I never heard any of this, not trying to start but I'm confused. Sure the cv binds at full droop, but how is that related to the driveshaft being long? The cv location and angle of the driveshaft are still staying the same. Please explain?

And, I understand about shops making money. They still charge by the hour for labor so fixing a driveshaft would generate more profit for a shop instead of uninstalling/reinstalling a driveshaft.

Jeeps shouldn't be jumped either! Lol
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The axle travels in an arc as it moves up and down. The arc gets closer to the transfer case output towards the bottom of the front suspension's travel. The suspension has more travel when its lifted, therefore when it travels farther down it moves closer to the transfer case then it would with stock suspension.
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
TanTJ04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

But with longer control arms (most lifts come with longer) the arc changes. I always had the control arms contact the shock mounts on the axle before anything would bind. (This was before the tummy tuck)
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not with stock mounting locations.
Unread 09-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
mudb8

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So a shorter driveshaft is the answer? How is a stock shaft fine with stock arms? Most lifts have longer control arms to reposition the axle close to stock. Does the arc of the wheel change that much? I never heard any of this, not trying to start but I'm confused. Sure the cv binds at full droop, but how is that related to the driveshaft being long? The cv location and angle of the driveshaft are still staying the same. Please explain?

And, I understand about shops making money. They still charge by the hour for labor so fixing a driveshaft would generate more profit for a shop instead of uninstalling/reinstalling a driveshaft.

Jeeps shouldn't be jumped either! Lol

The front cv does not bind... the slip yoke bottoms out.

HighLine Hood Jeepers
TJ Adjustable Track bars

2006 Rubicon Unlimited

Unread 09-13-2013, 10:59 PM   #15
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Simple answer... YOU CANNOT BE LAZY WHEN YOU DO A LIFT!!!

Everything needs to be checked before driving. On the front... You need to set the bumpstops properly. set bumpstops always so the bumps ( without rubber inserts ) always hit before the shock bottoms out. Then, install the shocks and let one side droop all the way down while the other is still pulled up to the bumpstop. Now, bolt on a tire... Does it eat up your fenders? then add more to the bumps to keep this from happening.
Now steer the wheel full lock right and left with someone watching you brake line on the fully drooped brake. does it pull tight? then get longer lines. Do this with DR. side down, Pass. side up and then opposite.
Now let the axle all the way down. ( both shocks on ) can you get the DS in... If not, then is it close enough that it simply won't go over the ears to get into the yoke? If not, then get it shortened.

Once set like this, then you can flex one side all the way up and the other all the way down, Turn full lock right and left too... then possibly get some hang time without ripping off fenders, grenading your TC or ripping off brake lines.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.